Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrating blues and metal

• 13-07-2005 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey all i was just thinkin today about finding some way of integratin blues/60's rock with modern metal i wonder if it could be done coz it'd be so cool any thoughts? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i've heard Down classed as blues metal, they wouldn't sound 60's rock tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

listen to the fear of the dark album by iron maiden, its blues with the gain turned up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You could try High On Fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Masters Of Reality, the first self titled album and the follow-up "Sunrise On The Sufferbus" (which featured Ginger Baker on drums) are classics and the Metal side really comes through on their first live album "How High The Moon". One of the greatest bands ever.

Also, seek out some Trouble. The two albums they released on Def American are legendary, two of the finest blues guitarists you'll ever hear play Metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Would Grand Magus and Spiritual Beggars fit into this category?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Not so much metal, but fantastic bluesy rock all the same

Firebird

http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/firb.htm

featuring the all powerful Bill Steer (ex-Carcass)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The first song on Entombed's Wolverine Blues (the name eludes me right now) was kinda blue-sy in the chorus, cool song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

Motorhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

On a similar note dag Nasty's Field Day album (pronounced FEEDLE DAY for all of you ho don't know) has some really great punk songs blended with 80's metal riffs. It must be the most under-rated album ever but I think it kicks ass. Defintly one of my favourite albums of all time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

On a similar note dag Nasty's Field Day album (pronounced FEEDLE DAY for all of you ho don't know) has some really great punk songs blended with 80's metal riffs. It must be the most under-rated album ever but I think it kicks ass. Defintly one of my favourite albums of all time ;)

how in the blue hell is this a similiar note ...idiot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Because it's punk blended with metal riffs and you can also hear a bit of blues in some of the songs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

conanm wrote:
    Motorhead.

They're more Rock n Roll if you ask me. I see where you're coming from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Some of Deep Purple's stuff is quite bluesey while maintaining their very early heavy metal style.

Most of Posion's stuff is very bluesey.

Slash's playing is rooted in the blues.

Lots of heavy stuff is rooted in the blues if you go back far enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

The first song on Entombed's Wolverine Blues (the name eludes me right now) was kinda blue-sy in the chorus, cool song.
    Pretty much all of Entombed's stuff is obviously blues-influenced, even on the more "death" albums like Left Hand Path and Clandestine, up to stuff like Nobodaddy on Inferno.
    As for other bluesish bands, try any stoner metal band; Iron Monkey, Eyehategod (A bit hard to listen to, but it's there), Sleep and (as Karl Hungus pointed out) High on Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

check out danko jones, not completely metal more blues punk but still real ****in heavy, also gun club.
    but yeah the whole ****in stoner scene is blues metal check out the last track on orange goblins coup de grace for the best example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Led Zeppelin.

Advertisement