Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart now available in Churchfield and Quaker Road

• 13-07-2005 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

Smart and eircom have signed off the Smart installations in the Churchfield and Quaker Road exchanges in Cork.

Orders will be processed from next week some time.

If you registered for the service, we'll be contacting you in the next few days.

Garfield.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

holy monkeyballs, those exchanges are almost on time lol. unfortunately me & my girlfriend are on the other 2 exchanges lol, dennehys cross and wellington road.

Any progress on those 2 yet, you would have 2 very happy customers if they are ready soon, the girlfriends 12-month contract with eircom ends about august 5th lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

JNive wrote:
    holy monkeyballs, those exchanges are almost on time lol. unfortunately me & my girlfriend are on the other 2 exchanges lol, dennehys cross and wellington road.

Any progress on those 2 yet, you would have 2 very happy customers if they are ready soon, the girlfriends 12-month contract with eircom ends about august 5th lol

I'd say 6-8 weeks on both. Maybe earlier on Denneheys.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any word on Kilkenny exchange, Garfield? I was corresponding with someone in smart about this via email but they had no information besides "this year".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Stephen wrote:
    Any word on Kilkenny exchange, Garfield? I was corresponding with someone in smart about this via email but they had no information besides "this year".

Kilkenny is in Waterford is it not ? :) He answered your and everyones question last week, see this list Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, no, Kilkenny is in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Any news of carrigaline in cork going on line?

Would be really interested in this!!!

regards kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

anything not in garfields signature is likely to be 3 months or more i would estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Is there any guesstimate on when the number porting thing will be sorted? Im on the coolock exchange & ready for smart, but wont be giving up my phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

skywalker wrote:
    Is there any guesstimate on when the number porting thing will be sorted? Im on the coolock exchange & ready for smart, but wont be giving up my phone number.

End of the Summer at the earliest...depends on the holiday times for the high court and other things!
    eircom are some brats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Garfield I'm with Digiweb on the Whitehall exchange and Smart got my direct debit ages ago. Digiweb have recently lowered their monthly price by €10 but I'll have to enter into a 6 month cotract in order to benifit. My question is will Smart be ready to go on the Whitehall exchange in less than 6 months - I want to keep my landline number too.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

zuma wrote:
    End of the Summer at the earliest...depends on the holiday times for the high court and other things!
    eircom are some brats!!!
    The next instalment of Eircom Vs Smart is due in the court on 21th July (List of court cases and dates), does anyone know what happened to day in court between them?

Stephen wrote:
    No, sorry.

Garfield.

kmb wrote:
    Any news of carrigaline in cork going on line?

Would be really interested in this!!!

regards kieran
    No,

Sorry.

Garfield.

JNive wrote:
    anything not in garfields signature is likely to be 3 months or more i would estimate
    That is a reasonable assumption. There are more exchanges 'in play' in the background, but the dates for availability could be euphemistically described as 'fluid'.

Garfield.

That is a reasonable assumption. There are more exchanges 'in play' in the background, but the dates for availability could be euphemistically described as 'fluid'.

Garfield.

or until eircom stop acting like $%%&"£...if you know what I mean!!!

digitaldr wrote:
    Garfield I'm with Digiweb on the Whitehall exchange and Smart got my direct debit ages ago. Digiweb have recently lowered their monthly price by €10 but I'll have to enter into a 6 month cotract in order to benifit. My question is will Smart be ready to go on the Whitehall exchange in less than 6 months - I want to keep my landline number too.

Thanks
    Service will be available in less that 6 months, though I can't say when. As of right now, you will have to accept a new number to avail of the service.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Another shout for Carrigaline, I know at least 6 other people in Carrigaline who would sign-up with smart, so assuming that KMB would sign up that would give you 8 potential customers already. Come on Smart! add Carrigaline to your upgrade list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

daveyjoe wrote:
    I know at least 6 other people in Carrigaline who would sign-up with smart, so assuming that KMB would sign up that would give you 8 potential customers already. Come on Smart! add Carrigaline to your upgrade list.

Yeah Garfield, that's well worth the €125k investment isn't it?

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

damien.m wrote:
    Yeah Garfield, that's well worth the €125k investment isn't it?

:p

With my brilliant math skills.... 37.2 years to break even in upgrading the exchange. Assuming Smart get the full 35 euro.....

If I'm thinking right, with Smart actually only receiving 11 euro, thats comes to about.... 118.37 years assuming the 8 people are still alive and paying their bills in full

I wonder where Smart want to go today? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

TimTim wrote:
    With my brilliant math skills.... 37.2 years to break even in upgrading the exchange. Assuming Smart get the full 35 euro.....

If I'm thinking right, with Smart actually only receiving 11 euro, thats comes to about.... 118.37 years assuming the 8 people are still alive and paying their bills in full

I wonder where Smart want to go today? :D
    It was only a tongue in cheek remark. There are also another 15,000+ people in Carrigaline beside us 8.

Does it really cost smart €125,000 to open up an exchange? Jaysus! Wouldn't it make more sense for them to try operating the service with wireless networks instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

daveyjoe wrote:
    It was only a tongue in cheek remark. There are also another 15,000+ people in Carrigaline beside us 8.

Does it really cost smart €125,000 to open up an exchange? Jaysus! Wouldn't it make more sense for them to try operating the service with wireless networks instead?

I know. :D

Depends I'd say. Digging roads and laying fiber is a expensive thing to do. Then again wireless gear to provide the same bandwith to the exchange would cost too. Which brings me to my next question.

Is it even possible to provide fiber speeds with wireless gear unless you cover a very large wall with microwave dishes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

The next instalment of Eircom Vs Smart is due in the court on 21th July (List of court cases and dates), does anyone know what happened to day in court between them?

Anyone heading into the High Court to watch the case on thursday? Not exactly OJ Simpson but might be ok with a bit of popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Anyone heading into the High Court to watch the case on thursday? Not exactly OJ Simpson but might be ok with a bit of popcorn

Would the Gentleman in the third row please refrain from throwing popcorn at the nice gentleman from Eircom :D

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
    Would the Gentleman in the third row please refrain from throwing popcorn at the nice gentleman from Eircom :D

They wouldn't be allowed use the word nice.

daveyjoe wrote:
    Does it really cost smart €125,000 to open up an exchange?

If not more. To enable your line Smart has to pay eircom €14.67 a month for the line, plus they have to pay €120 for eircom to connect your line to their equipment. So, they are only making €20.33 a month from you.

They have to pay for air-conditioning, electricity and floorspace on a monthly/yearly basis. Then they have to dig from the exchange to the fibre ring. Digging costs a lot. Luckily most MANs were meant to pass the eircom exchanges. They then have to buy the equipment for the exchange which isn't cheap, despite adsl equipment being very popular.

Perhaps Garfield could go through the costs of enabling one exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

damien.m wrote:
    If not more. To enable your line Smart has to pay eircom €14.67 a month for the line, plus they have to pay €120 for eircom to connect your line to their equipment. So, they are only making €20.33 a month from you.

They have to pay for air-conditioning, electricity and floorspace on a monthly/yearly basis. Then they have to dig from the exchange to the fibre ring. Digging costs a lot. Luckily most MANs were meant to pass the eircom exchanges. They then have to buy the equipment for the exchange which isn't cheap, despite adsl equipment being very popular.

Perhaps Garfield could go through the costs of enabling one exchange?

Rough guide (varies depending on exactly what eircom surveys you do and size of exchange)

eircom costs €25k - €30k
    Fibre devleopment €20k to €100k depending on civils
    Ports costs €14.67 each
    Activiation €120 each
    DSLAM - depends what you use and the technology
    Eircom service charges - per service call, regardless of fault
    Co-Lo space - per footprint, per annum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi Garfield,

Moving to Marlfield Green, Tallaght in the first week in September. Any idea when Tallaght exchange might be online? Dont want to sign up to 12 months with another provider if Smart is on the way shortly!

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Pete Reed wrote:
    Hi Garfield,

Moving to Marlfield Green, Tallaght in the first week in September. Any idea when Tallaght exchange might be online? Dont want to sign up to 12 months with another provider if Smart is on the way shortly!

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Pete,

I don't have any dates for Tallaght. We will go there, but I don't have a date.

Garfield.

In other words 2006???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Garfield, I received an email in regards to Quaker road broadband mentioning a problem with Eircom etc, saying I have to get a new phone line. I want a new one as the house owner doesnt want to convert, I dont have a problem with this. But can you clarify this is true and also that my line rental free for life applies to me as a customer and not just my other number. Also how much more charges will this incur in regards to installation and equipment and all that?

Advertisement