Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i be helped?

• 13-07-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I kinda know the answer to this question before i ask it but here goes!
    A mate of mine has one way satellite bb/1600KBits and a poxy 16.8 connection on the dial up end of things which is needed of course for setting up the connection to his bb services provider, download speeds can be up and down but in general are ok but what we would like to "try" and do is to max out as much upload speed as is possable! were using a v92 trust modem and the isp is utv when the connection is tested http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ the upload speed on the down can be 5.4mbps! not bad if it stayed like that, but whats worst is on the upload side its 7.4kbps, i've tryed nearly all the modem and tcp/ip tweaking stuff thats out there and there all useless at best, can i be helped? is there a command string that i can make the modem connect at and maybe up the uploading side of things, he is after all paying a lot of cash and all he wants to do is play a game on line and the like, he knew the pros and cons of satellite what with latency and Propagation but never tought it would be this bad !HELP!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No, he is in a rural area on a bad mother split line is he not ?

The best he can do is ISDN although thats a dubious prospect too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

He will never be able to play any games online using satellite broadband.
    The laws of physics (speed of electromagnetic waves in space) ensure that he will get pings so bad that no game will be playable.
    (possibly online chess?)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Ye we both live on the same lane in a rural area and yes were both on a carrier line with 13 or 14 people all paying the same line rental and at the end of the day were all on split lines! notting comreg can do and notting eircom will do! shower of ***** that they are

chainsaws are a great help :)

Lol....Don't put ideas into my head, just today there was an €ircom guy installing yet another line for a new house 400yrds up the rd, only thing is the junction box is right outside my gaff so no chainsaw needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

How far away from a DSL exchange are you...or more precicely what general areas are you located???

Have you ever thought about getting 2 way SatBB???

Games are a definite nono as those sats are in geostationary orbit(42245 km up) which means that at the speed of light the lowest possible would be 140ms!!!
    Adding other slowdowns and you see why its a waste for games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

zuma wrote:
    How far away from a DSL exchange are you...or more precicely what general areas are you located???

Have you ever thought about getting 2 way SatBB???

Games are a definite nono as those sats are in geostationary orbit(42245 km up) which means that at the speed of light the lowest possible would be 140ms!!!
    Adding other slowdowns and you see why its a waste for games.

I think you will find satellite uses RF signals, not light :)

500-750ms would be more the norm....Gaming NO WAY NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER................EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

crawler wrote:
    I think you will find satellite uses RF signals, not light :)

500-750ms would be more the norm....Gaming NO WAY NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER................EVER.

The speed of the light is equal to the wavelength multiplied the frequency.....wavelength is proportional to frequency.

3x10^8 ms^-1 is a basic constant for radio wave(& light waves)....sound is one of the waves that is slower.
    Nothing is faster than light.
    A vacum(space) gives the fastest velocity.

In otherwords saying that radio waves are slower than the speed of light would make the Elec Eng dept of the college I came from very stupid!!!!

140ms is the fastest time a signal could be sent from geostationary orbit to sea level...adding other losses would get close to a second.

=================================================
    For those who need to refresh on basic physics:
    http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/waves_particles/lightspeed-1.html
    =================================================

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

140ms is the fastest time a signal could be sent from geostationary orbit to sea level
    So from sea level to geostationary, back down to sea level (signal going from your house to the satellite back down to ISP, who i assume don't operate out in space) would take about 300ms. Add in upload delay, at least 100ms (damn 56k). Then add typical connection latency from europe to ireland , and you end up with a typical ping of about 460ms to irish sites.

Theres not a chance in hell you could play games on that or improve it. Unless you got adsl. with the emphesis on upload as opposed to download. Get yourself ADSL and you've got yourself a beast of a downloading connction (satellite), and you can still game over the adsl.

Unless you got adsl
    352.gif

Darn City Folks !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Darn City Folks !
    I hate you sponge bob! You big sponge!
    352.gif
    :p

:( There ain't no way no how that €ircom are ever going to give me or anybody in this god forsaken area that i live in(about 10mls on the Limerick side of Portlaois) dslx, hell two years ago they told me my line was fine but when i finally decided to go for isdn as it was the only option open to me they after about 2mts called me back and told me that there was a techinal fault on the line and that i couldn't get what is after all a 60/70yr old technology, but i wasn't to disappointed, isdn at there prices, isdn fullstop.Ha.
    For people like me its been left up to the digiwebs of the world to provide a bb connection via wireless/satellite connections and while technically intresting how each technology works theres neither as reliable as good old copper wire or fiber optics for a stable always on connection and if its a thing i should get either of the wireless options im paying twice what city/urban dwellers pay for a better service and with contention running at 30:1 on sat its a killer cos most if not all smsb are on a sat connection in rural areas,
    God i wish i lived in Estonia

Advertisement