Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I can't thank you enough Sparky_S! ;)
    I think he was just stating that he'd been banned rather than saying he banned him. Either way Sparky's comments on the Feedback board were relevant in the decision to ban.

Guys, I'd seriously suggest ignoring (in the forum) trolls like whatshisname-wots-banned. He's just looking for a reaction in order to spoil whatever discussion you're having. See the way this one centered around him for a few posts? He likes that. Don't feed the trolls, as they say.

Anyway, back on topic I suppose. Sorry to hear about your trouble Webmonkey, crappy thing to happen with the nice slidey roads we've occasionally had lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

sorry to hear that, afaik u are only responsible for the first car, cars are meant to leave enough space to avoid a domino effect crash. This happened a mate, who was crashed into from behind, and then went on himself into the back of the car in front, which he was liable for. Best of luck anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

heggie wrote:
    sorry to hear that, afaik u are only responsible for the first car, cars are meant to leave enough space to avoid a domino effect crash. This happened a mate, who was crashed into from behind, and then went on himself into the back of the car in front, which he was liable for. Best of luck anyways

nope...your liable for all cars because your the cause of the full accident. Guards should ask eash driver how many impacts they felt if its 1-2-2 (car1-car2-car3) then your the sole person responsible, whilst if its say 2-2-1 then the second car and you are responsible.

Farlz

//not meaning to sound harsh there btw, i've already been in contact through PM with webmonkey explaining this earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Silverfish wrote:
    I think you're only responsible for the damage to the car in front of you, because you should have maintained the braking distance.

In a taxi a year or so ago and he met his friend who had done something similar to OP. He asked him was he ok, at which point another car slammed into the back of him and he replied "I am now". AFAIK you pay for all the cars down the line.

However if one left the scene it would probably have a problem claiming (as well as get in trouble).

I'm finding the idiots are out on the road in the sunshine. I for example use the count to two (within speed limit) to determine if a car is too close and move back, count to 4 if its raining and someone overtakes and moves into that spot.

6am is the worst (time I go to work), apprantly the speed limits double around this time, your allowed ignore red lights, ignore white lines, and indicating on a roundabout is a sign of weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

OP, sorry to hear about your crash!

I was in a similar accident a few years back ... I was sitting in traffic behind 2 cars, when a car smashed into the car behind me, who crashed into me, I crashed into the car in front, who crashed into the car in front of that again ... the guy who caused it had to pay up for all damaged cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    OP, sorry to hear about your crash!

I was in a similar accident a few years back ... I was sitting in traffic behind 2 cars, when a car smashed into the car behind me, who crashed into me, I crashed into the car in front, who crashed into the car in front of that again ... the guy who caused it had to pay up for all damaged cars

Thank you! Now maybe people will stop insisting that the person at the back of the crash is only responsible for the car he directly smashed into. *shrug* I dunno.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well i'm accepting that i'm responsible for all cars. I don't want to piss of people anyways. Its my fault, i will take responsibility of paying for all damage. Money that i don't have as i'm just turned 19 a few days ago (Nice birthday prezzie) but i'll find it somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

(this morning rabbit ran out in front of me, dabbed the brakes and skidded)
    Not to sound preachy but never brake for animals like that. Odd's of missing them are slight - odds of skidding aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Boggle wrote:
    Not to sound preachy but never brake for animals like that. Odd's of missing them are slight - odds of skidding aren't.

I missed him. Only skidded briefly (I'm sensible enough to know how to react to a skid). Why kill something that can be avoided.

Well i've gotten a list of what i need for my car anyways.

What i need is:
    Bonnet
    Radiator
    Front Bumper
    Grill
    Left Wing
    Hopefully Right wing but not too important
    Part where bonnet locks, dunno what thtas called but i think i have to get that new as it has to be welded and no hope getting it off another car without damage.
    Two headlights

- I can get most this stuff in a local scrap yard, called in this evening. My dad knows a guy that repairs cars and he offered to repair it in his free time if i could get all the parts. So i'm lucky with my own car, should get it all done for under 1.5k i hope.
    He is a professional spray painter as well, apparently you can't get better than him. he's gifted so thats cool, probably have to respray the whole car as the colors will be different. Mine is kind of a unique color.

So my car seems sorted, will probably have it going in a months time hopefully.
    Other cars, must hear back from them next week.
    I'll keep ye updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Webmonkey. I had a crash myself in November 1999. It was completely the fault of the other guy and nobody was injured or anything but my car was out of commission for about six weeks — right over the Christmas period too. It's shïtty experience for anyone to go through but as Steffano2002 said at least no one was injured or worse. Hang in there, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

My dad knows a guy that repairs cars and he offered to repair it in his free time if i could get all the parts.
    That's extremely nice of him :) You'll make a massive saving on the repairs if your not paying for any labour.

If you're looking for any more parts for the car try www.buyandsell.ie to see if anyone is breaking/selling a 400 for parts. Also try www.ebay.co.uk if you need some of the smaller, easily posted parts.

PS the panel that the bonnet latches into is the "slam panel"

Cheers man for the slam panel word.
    * me goes off searching the net for prices for slam panels...

omg. I just got a phone call, the third cars quote for repair was 2500. Another one quoted her 3 - 6k. Thats just crazy :(
    It was a small mini car so it was light and underneath where spare tyre is, is apparently all bent.
    I'm still waiting on the car i hit directly, it was a big saloon one so i suppose it was the car in front that cause the damage on the third due to its heavy weight.

This is a nightmare...

Hey everyone,

Just to let ye all know my current situation:

My Car:

Yesterday ago I got all the parts [I thought] I needed. Basically the whole front body with radiator and fan. Later that evening my dad comes home to tell me that my car is in more serious trouble.
    The Engine moved back cracking the gearbox and ripping the engine holders out while breaking the Airfilter box.
    So I've a new list of stuff to get now.
    Its not all that bad as the other parts just cost me 350 euro. Will expect another 200 now for the gearbox and bits and bobs. (Cheap scrap yard)

Car I Hit:
    She rang me up to say she couldn't find her "Cheap fixer guy" and instead she went to her local garage where she baught the car. Her bumper was dented and under her boot was all bent.
    Her repairs were estimated to be around €4200

Third Car:
    This car is pretty much same damage as first but not to same scale. This car was a nissan micra, a small thing that got bent easily.
    Its back bumper was broken like the car i hit and it had similer problems with the state of under the boot. Her repairs were quoted at €2500

She hit a car with a trailer (Thank god) - It would have being another car to fix otherwise.

Well thats my story at the moment :) I think it will have to go through the insurance now.

By the way - Is it true that the more a person claims from you, the higher your premium for next year will be?

Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Webmonkey wrote:
    By the way - Is it true that the more a person claims from you, the higher your premium for next year will be?
    Sometimes you can have a claim up to a certain limit without losing your no-claims bonus. Some companies will only remove part of your ncb for a small claim.

If your only driving a few months then you have no no-claims bonus anyway.
    Your not being prosecuted for dangerous driving, you haven't got any points on your license.

This claim should make no difference, you'll be paying the same next year as this year.

... unless the insurance companies are dishonest or unethetical in some way. :rolleyes:

Gurgle wrote:
    Sometimes you can have a claim up to a certain limit without losing your no-claims bonus. Some companies will only remove part of your ncb for a small claim.

If your only driving a few months then you have no no-claims bonus anyway.
    Your not being prosecuted for dangerous driving, you haven't got any points on your license.

This claim should make no difference, you'll be paying the same next year as this year.

... unless the insurance companies are dishonest or unethetical in some way. :rolleyes:
    Hmm i don't know if this is true, I wouldn't get away that easy really. I'd love if this was the case though, anyone else can back this up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gurgle wrote:

I was in a similar situation last year. Up to September of last year my insurance was a reasonable enough (about 1,000), but I had no no-claims bonus. Following the accident, the insurance company imposed a "weighting" on my policy which increased the insurance roughly 100%.

I have also been informed I am stuck with my current insurance company for the next 5 years, as no other insurance company will quote until that time.

Irrespective of whether or not you have a no-claims bonus, along with loosing the no-claims bonus, the company is within its rights to impose an additional weighting on your policy to wring their money back out of you......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

hun i am so sorry to hear what has happened but ask them go and see a mechanic of your choice and explain to the mechanic that it's going thriugh on your insurance ask him can he do you a deal if you bring all 3 cars to him
    go to someone self employed with a smaller garage they are normally the most reasonable and are appreciative of the work big dealer ships are not cheap
    another thing to do with your own car is if you know anyone doing a FAS car mechanic, panel-beater,spray painter apprentiship in FAS the might be able to take into the college with them and have a look at it

hope it all works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gurgle wrote:

Doesn't work like that. I had a claim in my first year's driving, that cost Quinn-Direct IR£1,500. My premium for that year was IR£3,500 TPF&T. Net profit for QD: £2,000 (give or take). The next year, with a claim and a full licence under my belt, my premium went up to IR£4,000. So I got a motorbike :)

Research shows that those who have had an accident in the last three years are more likely to be in an accident than those who haven't. Regardless of your NCB, insurance companies can and will load you if you have a previous recent claim.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote:
    I have also been informed I am stuck with my current insurance company for the next 5 years, as no other insurance company will quote until that time.
    Certain companies, most notably Hibernian and Britton only require 3 years of claim-free driving.

shellby wrote:
    hun i am so sorry to hear what has happened but ask them go and see a mechanic of your choice and explain to the mechanic that it's going thriugh on your insurance ask him can he do you a deal if you bring all 3 cars to him
    go to someone self employed with a smaller garage they are normally the most reasonable and are appreciative of the work big dealer ships are not cheap
    another thing to do with your own car is if you know anyone doing a FAS car mechanic, panel-beater,spray painter apprentiship in FAS the might be able to take into the college with them and have a look at it

hope it all works out for you
    Thanks for the advice :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I am with Hibernian already :(
    Think I better organise a few carboot sales, September is coming up again :(

Me too, Hibernian. I was under my mother and it cost me about 1400 for the year, as long as it won' tbe more than 3000 next year i won't mind, repairs are going to cost about 8k. Do you think i'll get away under 3000?

Webmonkey wrote:
    Me too, Hibernian. I was under my mother and it cost me about 1400 for the year, as long as it won' tbe more than 3000 next year i won't mind, repairs are going to cost about 8k. Do you think i'll get away under 3000?
    I'd say so, but perhaps only just. Any sign of a test date before your renewal? :)

Havn't even got around to applying yet, whats the waiting list like :s

I got a date in Finglas after 5 months, but I think that was expediated a little. There's no point in waiting until you're "ready", you'll be ready by the time the date gets here :)

Check out www.drivingtest.ie for waiting times, though they're only a rough indicator.

Cheers man - will apply this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Webmonkey wrote:
    I'm sorry I don't want to put a dampener on this, but exactly same thing happened to me 1.5 years ago.. I was named driver under my mothers policy, and rear ended a 95 Honda Civic. I had my full licence about a month at this stage.
    €3200 worth of damage to the Civic for which I claimed through Hibernian.
    Insurance last September (the next renewal data after the claim) went from €1600 to just under €3000, and remember i've a full licence.
    In hindsight, I should have as somebody said earlier in the thread, taken out a loan to pay for the damage to the Civic.
    I also tried shopping around for quotes, most insurance companies won't touch you for 3/5 years, the only one I got a quote from was Quinn direct, and they quoted €3,500.

Anyway, I feel your pain man :(

On a side note actually could anyone answer this:
    If you claim as a named driver on a policy.. the claim is technically against the policy holder right? As far as i can remember, my name never appeared on the claim form. Hence theoretically couldn't I say i haven't had a claim against me in the last 3/5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

The claim is against the policy holder not the driver so yeah you can claim a clean driving record even though you crashed. Your mother cannot even though she didn't.

Advertisement