Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin Galway

Options
  • 14-07-2005 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Any one been in maplin galway this week. Is it just me or do they know anything about what they sell in there. I wanted to buy a pro sound speaker. ( I know there **** but they are cheap) asked the guy (who I think was an assissant manager, a red neck anyway) what wattage the speaker was and he looked at me :eek: and said " you dont plug them into the power they'll be fine for ya" this aint the first story about dumb maplins anyone want to share there not so great experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Defo wasnt the assistant manager.
    His name is Daryl, and hes a legend. Really nice guy and tbh hes the only one in there who has a remote clue what hes at.

Everyone else in there are nothing but sales assistants, that place needs technical assistants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

hey im only in galway for one more day wheres the maplin? i never knew there was one in galway?

Wellpark retail park (beside the EYE cinema)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

behy wrote:
    Any one been in maplin galway this week. Is it just me or do they know anything about what they sell in there. I wanted to buy a pro sound speaker. ( I know there **** but they are cheap) asked the guy (who I think was an assissant manager, a red neck anyway) what wattage the speaker was and he looked at me :eek: and said " you dont plug them into the power they'll be fine for ya" this aint the first story about dumb maplins anyone want to share there not so great experiences.

yeah they are pretty rubbish for selling stuff in there. i went in lookin for power cables and it took them about 10 minutes to get everything sorted but on the plus side they have everything you could ever need really (and with PC world just across the way you'll def find what you are lookin for) just be sure you know what you are lookin for and the compatability and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

danniemcq wrote:
    yeah they are pretty rubbish for selling stuff in there. i went in lookin for power cables and it took them about 10 minutes to get everything sorted but on the plus side they have everything you could ever need really (and with PC world just across the way you'll def find what you are lookin for) just be sure you know what you are lookin for and the compatability and you'll be grand.

I agree just go and research what u need beforehand and you will be fine...dont ask for advice just buy it!!!

There is however 1 guy in there that is excellent.....a brown haired guy...knows his stuff and he has been there since it pretty much opened...and is always way too helpful to people (found this to my cost cause i was waiting to be served ) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree just go and research what u need beforehand and you will be fine...dont ask for advice just buy it!!!

There is however 1 guy in there that is excellent.....a brown haired guy...knows his stuff and he has been there since it pretty much opened...and is always way too helpful to people (found this to my cost cause i was waiting to be served ) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yup, an oldish guy compared to the rest of the staff there. Very good with electronics, as far as the standard in there goes.

That place needs staff like me... ;)
    Wonder what the pays like in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At least you've got a Maplins! Do they carry the full catalogue or just a "greatest hits" collection?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    At least you've got a Maplins! Do they carry the full catalogue or just a "greatest hits" collection?

Mike.

Full catalouge lad, and the stock count is great, theres always a few of a product in stock, and if they dont they always have them ordered in within a few working days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

JohnCleary wrote:
    Full catalouge lad, and the stock count is great, theres always a few of a product in stock, and if they dont they always have them ordered in within a few working days

not always a few days, my mates waitin on dvd's from weeks back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 behy

Theres one or two in there thats it Daryl is ok and the brown haired guy is probably Vinnie hes the branch manager and to be fair knows his stuff and always helps out. they could do with another 10 of these guys!!! The rest are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

one complaint i have about maplins that their website doesent have prices in euro, wonder will this ever happen as the have shops in the Republic, has anybody else got any views about this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

That's always the way in a place like that though. They don't pay enough to attract anyone with a clue for very long, so there's usually only one (sometimes, rarely, two) people that have a clue and are paid enough to keep them there.

Having said that, I've yet to find that person in PC World across the road, though the bitter looking grey-haired guy who works in the PC repair place behind the perspex might be the boy :rolleyes:

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

mikegannon wrote:
    one complaint i have about maplins that their website doesent have prices in euro, wonder will this ever happen as the have shops in the Republic, has anybody else got any views about this

Unfortunately, neither do Argos (to point out another British chain store who are increasingly present "over here"), who are longer-established, and have a (much) larger shop network. I reckon I shouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I've always found Maplins prices to be the UK price with the Euro conversion applied.Similar to Argos.
    So if you see the cost in sterling you can make an accurate calculation of what it will be in euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Having said that, I've yet to find that person in PC World across the road, though the bitter looking grey-haired guy who works in the PC repair place behind the perspex might be the boy :rolleyes:

Gadget

I wonder why smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

bought a car mp3 stereo,worked for a week cd got stuck in it!
    took it out,brought it back to maplin,waited a month no info,but the best part is that anything other than blank cds for example,if in need of repair,Has to be sent to their workshop in UK.
    Anyhu,went in week after week same old story "its on the way,and so on" finally snapped and they did not have a replacement instore so the credited my laser card.
    BOTTOM LINE Totally RUBBISH!!!
    might be a little cheaper but not worth the headache!!!
    anything the sell should be available elsewhere online in ireland with full support!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

BOTTOM LINE Totally RUBBISH!!!
    The first right thing I have read on this thread.
    They are totally rubbish, no other way to put it. Regarding service, prices and the employees. Ever since I left the place has gone down hill:D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I thought it went up hill since you left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

better than that shower of tinkers pc world hire

Asok wrote:
    better than that shower of tinkers pc world hire

Its a pitty that PC world hire Sales Staff, and not technical staff. I was in a rush for a MB one day so resorted to PC world. When I asked a lad "where aer your motherboards", I got the reply "Whats a motherboard"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Thing is unless you are really into computers etc it can be hard to take in all the knowledge about them especially Maplin where they stock an enormous range of stuff. I'm into pc's for years and even I find it can be hard to keep up with the pace of technology. They don't pay their staff enough to attract the "geeks" basically. They get better paid jobs in computing etc elsewhere if they are lucky. The few times I've used Maplin thought they have been knowledgeable and one memeber really helped me out by telling me about catridgeworld here in Galway. Saved me a fortune that place!

JohnCleary wrote:
    Its a pitty that PC world hire Sales Staff, and not technical staff. I was in a rush for a MB one day so resorted to PC world. When I asked a lad "where aer your motherboards", I got the reply "Whats a motherboard"

You probably asked a cleaner or something, they all look alike with those shirts has happened to me a few times!

timeout wrote:
    You probably asked a cleaner or something
    I taught all the cleaners had to stay in the little glass room on the right as you go in the door till the store was closed :D

Did you not read earlier that the glass room is where all the smart workers are, so in essence the cleaners are the smartest people in the place????

complex floor, tastes good already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whyconnect

Just wondering who trains the people in computer shops?

I got NTL broadband in my home so i needed a router for it, so i went in to PC world where (after some searching) i managed to get a sales person, he assured me that the BT ADSL router that they have would do the trick, having checked the price of it i discovered that i need more cash, the sales person told me that the nearest ATM was in Statoil on the college road (why isnt there one in the retail park?!), so off i went walking and i passed by Maplins.

So i popped in to check if they had a router, the guy i was talking to, (he may have been a manager), said that computers werent his strong point (which was fine) so he passed me on to one of his computer people, (oldish looking guy, around 27-28 assistant manager), i told him what i needed, he asked me who the broadband provider was, told him NTL, and i said that PC world were selling me a BT ADSL router.

He informed me that it wouldnt work as it was a different connection on it. he pointed a wireless router out and said it will work for me and went thru the setup with me and what to look out for and if i should have any problems to give them a call, very kind of him i thaught, as i was paying for it another Maplin Staff member (he has spikey mohag hair) was going thru broadband settings on the phone to someone. the lads in there seem to know their stuff.

Needless to say pc world didnt get my money and the router is still going strong, even had a wireless card in it for my laptop! :)

I have been in there a few time since and the only thing i have to fault the store on is that there isnt enough staff on, all the guys are held up, helping out the likes of me!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

ARGINITE wrote:
    I taught all the cleaners had to stay in the little glass room on the right as you go in the door till the store was closed :D

Don't be silly; they are not waiting behind the glass for the store to close. There on the phone. I have a picture of one of them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

whyconnect wrote:
    (oldish looking guy, around 27-28 assistant manager)

ROFL! Quote of the Day.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Indeed, feckin kiddie boarders!

I've never been to Maplins but I can vouch for PC World hiring idiots. They do it all over the country. My mum's a science teacher and she got stuff in PC World to set up a camera on her microscope with a feed up onto an overhead projector and onto a screen. She soke to one of the head guys, between them they figured it out and that was grand. A couple of months later she went in to get the same stuff for another teacher and was told it was an impossible system to create - she could have the camera or the projector working but not both, which rather defeats the purpose. So she had to go to her lab, get the serial numbers off all the equipment and go around the shop and find all the components herself, and then spent 15 minutes failing to explain how it works to the assistant. Now there's service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

JohnCleary wrote:

the stock count is not great. nothing in the special offers catalog is ever in stock and it can take weeks to a few months sometimes to get stuff
    paconnors wrote:

they don't have prices in euro and if you do the conversion the uk website is usually about 10% cheaper. on one or two things its more expensive but almost always cheaper

bindybandy wrote:
    Thing is unless you are really into computers etc it can be hard to take in all the knowledge about them especially Maplin where they stock an enormous range of stuff. I'm into pc's for years and even I find it can be hard to keep up with the pace of technology. They don't pay their staff enough to attract the "geeks" basically. They get better paid jobs in computing etc elsewhere if they are lucky. The few times I've used Maplin thought they have been knowledgeable and one memeber really helped me out by telling me about catridgeworld here in Galway. Saved me a fortune that place!

this is true. they provide zero training for their staff other than a presentation of one or two products once a month. the staff are basically working on the knowledge they have when they start working there and there's no internet access in the place so they have no way to check anything. they have computers, sound systems, car accessories, toys, gps systems and thousands of miscellaneous itmes. basically anything electronic can be sold in the place, even a coat and gloves with wires running through them for heating. no one could be expected to keep up with it all for 9 euro an hour, and with no internet access its impossible to do it anyway.
    whyconnect wrote:
    Just wondering who trains the people in computer shops?

as i said above, i can't speak for pc world, but in maplin they don't train them at all. they take people in off the street and give them a name badge that says technical sales

Advertisement