Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin Galway

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mckevittmartin

Anytime i go into maplin to buy something i always seem to be told that i could get it cheeper online. On 2 occasions i was even supplied with a web address of a specific supplier. Great buisness practice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Anytime i go into maplin to buy something i always seem to be told that i could get it cheeper online. On 2 occasions i was even supplied with a web address of a specific supplier. Great buisness practice!!
    Well to be fair maplins staff are saving you a few bob there..most of the tech they have in the Galway shop is so outdated and way over priced they should be arrested.
    I've seen Geforce 7 series cards in there for nearly 200 Euros still !!
    The last time I saw they had a good deal and was buying a harddrive when they asked 'Would I like to buy there catalogue for only 7 euro' haha I nearly cried laughing...why the hell should I pay for a catalogue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

behy wrote: »
    Any one been in maplin galway this week. Is it just me or do they know anything about what they sell in there. I wanted to buy a pro sound speaker. ( I know there **** but they are cheap) asked the guy (who I think was an assissant manager, a red neck anyway) what wattage the speaker was and he looked at me :eek: and said " you dont plug them into the power they'll be fine for ya" this aint the first story about dumb maplins anyone want to share there not so great experiences.

Funny this topic has just come up...Was in there on Saturday and myself and a queue of 5 people were left for about 10 mins before anyone came to the till to take money from us, the place wasn't even that busy (around 5pm). Staff in there do seem sound though to be fair to them

By the way, they are a complete rip off. I paid €30 for a simple usb multi port dongle. Could have got it for a tenner online. was an emergency though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Came across an ignorant idiot working in there about 4/5 months ago. Asked him about a charger[via USB] for me mp3 player, he tells me he's too busy and to ask him over there. Ignorant fuck.
    They're all clones of Professor Frink.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought the staff where very knowledgeable. They knew their stuff when it came to Motherboards anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i went in there with a circuit breaker looking for new one after guy in Atlantic Homecare told me to try there in case they had some...anyways guy behind desk took a look at it and said what colour would you like? he thought it was a printer cartridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

fifib wrote: »
    i went in there with a circuit breaker looking for new one after guy in Atlantic Homecare told me to try there in case they had some...anyways guy behind desk took a look at it and said what colour would you like? he thought it was a printer cartridge!

I ROFL'D!!!!

L

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

There's a lad who works there, young enough, stubbled etc.

He seems to know his stuff when it comes to computers. Had a good auld chat with him.

I've seen some pretty good deals there now and then but unless something is specifically on special offer, the prices there appear pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Maplin are a life saver & if you choose wisely they can offer good value. The web pricing is an issue but nothing like rip off merchants Argos. I have never had any problems returning unwanted/faulty items.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Discodog wrote: »
    Maplin are a life saver & if you choose wisely they can offer good value. The web pricing is an issue but nothing like rip off merchants Argos. I have never had any problems returning unwanted/faulty items.

I agree, they are well trained and the after sales service is excellent. I go there regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'd be worse off without Maplin in Galway, we've completely rewired our stage in the last few months and it's been so handy just to nip down the road for xlrs and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Hopefully, companies like this are not going to struggle in the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

I agree, they are well trained and the after sales service is excellent. I go there regularly.

good for cables and blank dvds etc but i wouldnt buy anything of value as i feel that they are substandard.
    john

good for cables and blank dvds etc but i wouldnt buy anything of value as i feel that they are substandard.
    john

That, as an employee, I will back you up 1000%.

I have seen XLRs that just...don't fit into Neutrik-branded XLR (IMHO the industry standard) jacks. Come on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 battlestar

They seem to be the only place I can still buy a floppy disk to make a back up disk when I need to flash my BIOS

Another resurrection of the thread that never dies !

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Oh! This thread made me remember something! Bought a firewire expresscard in there for a new audio interface I got, after a full week of doing all manner of crazy messing to get it to work, I tried it on another laptop and decided it was broken. Brought it back, they had to send it off to test it as they had nothing in-shop to test it with :rolleyes: A few weeks ago I realised about 4-5 weeks had gone by. I called in about it, the guy told me that they accepted it was defective, they'd accidentally made the cheque out in Sterling so had to cancel it and send another. Fair enough I thought, and the guy was quite civil in checking it out.

Seeing this thread has just made me realise that's another 4 weeks ago and nothing!!! I'll be in there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've had nothing but good experiences with Maplin.

They've always taken stuff back without a hassle.

Of course, paying by credit/laser card helps I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

FFS, Why do people put an 's' at the end of shop names. Its called Maplin not Maplins. :eek::confused::mad::o That grinds my gears. Also Harvey Normans....arrrggghh! Its Harvey Norman!

Sorry about that! Just had to say it! Needed to get it out! Maybe it would have been better to suited to the ranting and raving forum!

Xiney wrote: »
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Maplin.

They've always taken stuff back without a hassle.

Of course, paying by credit/laser card helps I think.

I'm pretty sure I did..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Perhaps breasts are the limiting factor then.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I only bothered to read the first post of this thread, but from the 4-5 times I have shelled out some decent cash for anything in there I have been met with friendly staff and on the couple of occasions I did have a question, it got sorted. The person I asked didn't know for sure what I wanted, so they sent me to the person who could answer properly.

On one occasions I bought some new mic's and a usb m-audio interface. Nearly a month later, they guy that sold it to me said hello to me in the store when I was browsing around, to ask if I had gotten on ok with it, since I was unsure about whether it was what I needed when I was buying it.

So from just my own experience of Maplin, it has been very good.

Oh, so not all the male boardies are excluded then ? !

Still waiting for that cheque!! :mad:

Rang on the 7th, said if it didn't come in a week or so again to call again. I will!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

said if it didn't come in a week or so again to call again. I will!!!
    Is that a threat? Calm down! :D

Glad to be shot of the place and into a job relevant to my qualifications. If anyone remembered the long-haired guy?
    T'was I! The M-Audio interface rings a bell certainly.

Some things that annoyed me as an employee (other side of the table now :D) :

RE: returns - "I know my rights!!" - No, you don't. Here's a copy of the act.

"Hello Maplin Galway, this is XXXX" only for them to say "Yes, hello Maplins, I am looking..." (IT'S A SINGULAR NOUN!!)

RE: returns - "He has a problem with me because I'm black!" - Was shortly barred from the shop on racist grounds (Oh the irony!).

Yes, it was my personal fault that things are overpriced.

Customers coming at 17:57 and asking for something extremely complicated. Now, I wouldn't mind, but it was company policy to keep at least two people (far more often the whole crew were kept) on-site while the cashup etc. was being done. And we stopped being paid at 6.

People 'renting' equipment (buying something, using it overnight and bringing it back in the morning).

People coming in expecting to know precisely what they're on about (esp. foreign nationals who blurt the word in the mother tongue)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Glad to be shot of the place and into a job relevant to my qualifications. If anyone remembered the long-haired guy?
    T'was I! The M-Audio interface rings a bell certainly.

Some things that annoyed me as an employee (other side of the table now :D) :

RE: returns - "I know my rights!!" - No, you don't. Here's a copy of the act.

"Hello Maplin Galway, this is XXXX" only for them to say "Yes, hello Maplins, I am looking..." (IT'S A SINGULAR NOUN!!)

RE: returns - "He has a problem with me because I'm black!" - Was shortly barred from the shop on racist grounds (Oh the irony!).

Yes, it was my personal fault that things are overpriced.

Customers coming at 17:57 and asking for something extremely complicated. Now, I wouldn't mind, but it was company policy to keep at least two people (far more often the whole crew were kept) on-site while the cashup etc. was being done. And we stopped being paid at 6.

People 'renting' equipment (buying something, using it overnight and bringing it back in the morning).

People coming in expecting to know precisely what they're on about (esp. foreign nationals who blurt the word in the mother tongue)

by the sounds of it I'd say they are glad your gone. Doesn't sound like working in a shop suits you!

Advertisement