Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transatlantic Flights

• 14-07-2005 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

If a flight was coming from america to Madrid and it stopped at shannon would the passenger's be allowed off? and for how long?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

If the aircraft required refueling then they'd be taken off, as it's illegal to refuel with passengers on board. They would then be restricted to the airside part of the terminal.

If aircraft doesn't need fuel, they'll normally be left onboard, providing the turnaround isn't too long. This is commonly used by Aer Lingus, where US flights stop in Shannon for an hour before departing for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Occidental wrote:
    If the aircraft required refueling then they'd be taken off, as it's illegal to refuel with passengers on board.

That's not correct. Aircraft are regularly refuelled while passengers are boarding. There are certain rules surrounding the process but it's quite normal. You'll be told to keep your seatbelt un-fastened among other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I used to work in a shop at an airport and looking out the window one day prompted some discussion.

Anyways, Aircraft can be refuelled with passengers on board but if there are mobility impaired passengers aboard there needs to be a fire tender in attendance.

Another bit of interesting pub talk, don't know if its true, that MI passengers are always seated as far from the doors as possible, notionally not to impeed the escape of the able bodied if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

saobh_ie wrote:
    Another bit of interesting pub talk, don't know if its true, that MI passengers are always seated as far from the doors as possible, notionally not to impeed the escape of the able bodied if something goes wrong.

Thats somewhat skewed but not completely off the mark.

For obvious reasons they can't occupy the emergency exit rows but for (admitedly morbid) practical reasons they must also occupy window seats unless travelling with someone whos happy to swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

When I was 8 years old travelling with my mother I got moved up to first class because the only seat left in economy was next to the emergency exit, and I was too young to be able to operate it properly. (Of course my mother then said that she couldn't leave her poor son up in First Class alone, and she got upgraded too)

• Advertisement
Advertisement