Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID WITH SATA I and II Drives

Options
  • 14-07-2005 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a server with two SATA Raid I drives, 7200 RPM, 80GB (Maxtor).
    I have a third SATA II drive, again 80GB and 7200RMP NCQ (Samsung SpinPoint P80SD)

The RAID card is HighPoint RocketRAID 1640 4P SATA RAID5

I'm just double checking that setting up RAID 5 will be ok with these drives. I'm guessing that the array will run at the speed of the slowest drive. My main concern is to confirm that this will be stable and is ok to go ahead with.

Also any comments re the RAID card and experiences with it would be welcome.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Normally I'd say there should be no problem. SATA II drives will by default run at SATA I speeds.
    But if it's for a server, and you're worried about stability why not contact the RAID card manufacturer and ask them?

<edit>I've even gotten their email address for you: support@highpoint-tech.com</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Thanks for that,

just not as familiar with SATA RAID as SCSI

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Highpoint controller supports SATA 150MB only afaik, there's probably a jumper on your Sata300 drive to limit functionality to SATA150 spec, but as Wizzard said, chances are the drive will just fall back to whatever the controller supports.
    By the way, what you'll end up will be "fakeraid5". It's CPU-intensive and largely shít by anyone's standards, especially in a server.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Thats interesting, maybe in that case would it be better just to go with a simple mirror?

Its replacing an older server of two currently there for a SME of approx 20 employees.

I want to avoid s/w raid at all costs and I thought the Card would take the load off the processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Syxpak, How did ya identify a RAID controller that will give proper RAID and RAID that uses the CPU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

AFAIK there are no Highpoint chips that do "real" SATA Raid. 3Ware, Adaptec and others do real SATA RAID. This page may be interesting (even if you're not using Linux); don't know how recent it is though.

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If it runs on Solaris, chances are it's hardware RAID.

HW Raid has an XOR processor for calculating parity on the data, onboard bios through which you configure the array etc.

LSI Megaraid SATA 150-6 is the one I'm looking at.

Advertisement