Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bent bicycle wheel

Options
  • 14-07-2005 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

This morning I got down to the carpark to discover that one of my bicycle wheels has been bent (back wheel), still cycleable but not the best.

This exact thing happened 3 weeks ago (to the day) and I ended up replacing the wheel...

This is really bugging me, same wheel, same bent problem...

I'm thinking either someone is trying to steal my bike and the lock bends the wheel, but it's not an expensive bike at all, or it's me hitting a curb, but the bike was fine yesterday when I brought it home...

Anyone have any ideas what would be causing this? I don't really want to have get a new wheel fitted every 3 weeks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Colm if you are based in central dublin and have a mountain bike send me a pm, I have a bike for taking away free, but you must take all of the bike, which has dodgy tires and tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could someone be reversing into it in a car or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yeah it's a mountain bike alright, but not really interested Thomond Pk, as I don't want the hassle of taking the bike apart, and getting rid of the rest just for the new wheel - I'm just going to get it sorted by the guys in commuting solutions in Rathmines...

No chance of a car backing into it as it's in a bike shed with a locked door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Loose spokes, low tube pressure (see tire rim for correct pressure), excessive weight or shock to the wheel can all cause damage.

A solution to many of the above is a wheel with more spokes (double the number), these are used for situations of increased stess.

Meantime you can true the wheel with a spoke spanner - read up on how to use it, it's not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Colm is it pushed into something like a wheel holder when it is locked ? (Like here http://users.telenet.be/3latijn/IM000501.JPG) If so, it could be likely that someone knocked it over and it got caught in the holder and forced the bend. The person may have just picked it back up to its original position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Could be the old scumbag trick of bending the wheel so that you have to leave the bike, and robbing it later. This is most common where you have nice shiney bits on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

the door of the sheed hitting off it? or perhaps someone bringing in their bike/scooter/motorbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Downtime wrote:
    Colm is it pushed into something like a wheel holder when it is locked ? (Like here http://users.telenet.be/3latijn/IM000501.JPG) If so, it could be likely that someone knocked it over and it got caught in the holder and forced the bend. The person may have just picked it back up to its original position.

You should avoid this type of rack as well as those with a concrete slot - far too easy to warp your wheels. If you have the type of rack pictured, don't put your wheels into the slot, just lock it alongside - or try to find a pole / railing to lock to instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

uneven spoke tension is the most likely culprit, IMO, for this overnight warping.

pluck the spokes - do some feel less tense than others? (now that it's warped this will be the case - but it's a good idea to do this occasionally - especially after any kind of a smack, long spin, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is a phantom wheel bender out there, because you see them everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FergusF wrote:
    You should avoid this type of rack as well as those with a concrete slot - far too easy to warp your wheels. If you have the type of rack pictured, don't put your wheels into the slot, just lock it alongside - or try to find a pole / railing to lock to instead.
    Ain't that the truth, I used to lock my bike at the end of the rack rather than stick it where the wheel could get bent. There's a waste of time IHMO,
    kasintahan wrote:
    A solution to many of the above is a wheel with more spokes (double the number), these are used for situations of increased stess.

Meantime you can true the wheel with a spoke spanner - read up on how to use it, it's not difficult.
    As someone once told me "I've been straightening wheels for 20 years and I'm still learning new tricks".

If they are steel rims with a visible bend then it's new wheel time as you'll never get them perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

kasintahan wrote:

Technically known as a spoke key and if it is because you are throwing it around on paths etc this is the only solution. Basically the way to use a key is to get a feel of the tension levels in an identical wheel with no damage; examine your own kinked wheel, where spokes are loose tighten the rim to a similar tension and where spokes are tight loosen them to a similar tension as over-taut spokes result in a risk of puncture due to their protrusion beyond the internal rim.

I understand exactly why you wouldn't want the bike offered if you are a serious commuting cyclist as opposed to a fitness one. I would however advise that commuting solutions are a lot procier than they were in the old premises and that on the spot service only exists at quite a premium in short they are now expensive.

I have a free bike for taking away at a city centre location that is accessible office hours including lunch if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from C/T to cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Hi Thomond Pk,
    Im looking around for a largeish frame with a view to building a bike, what size is that bike you have? Is it mtb or road?
    Ans just wondering in general, my present bike has a hop in it, its a 28inch wheel old dutch model one, pity, found out no parts available for it, looking for a mtb replacement, wondering if anyone has any ideas where to go? im looking for a bog-standard mountain bike, with a large frame above 24inch to do it up! :)
    Thanks!

Advertisement