Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decking quote

Options
  • 14-07-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I had a guy in the other day to give me a quote on decking, installation, parts and labour inclusive. He quoted my €1150 for an area of 14x12ft, including a handrail. I asked him where he obtained the wood and was it anything like what you get in woodies, homebase etc to which he replied it was of a much better quality than what you get there (didn't name his supplier but fair enough, no point in telling me as he might do himself out of a job ;) ). He's also offered to show me some other gardens he's done recently.
    I've only started to look at prices for decking and this seems quite reasonable. What do you think?
    Also, what type of questions should I ask, and what should I look out for when I go to look at a completed job, as I said I don't know too much about decking so I wouldn't really know a comprehensive job from something that looks nice but is likely to collapse in no time!

Cheers

Damo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

Ahhh, don't waste yr money. Just get Jim to do it for you... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

AngryLoner wrote:
    Ahhh, don't waste yr money. Just get Jim to do it for you... :p

?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

!

look, if you've nothing helpful to say just f**k off and find something else to do with your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Try www.abwood.ie . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

I decked a similar sized area recently.
    It was a raised deck, so a lot of 4x2 used for subframe.
    Materials where €700 and I did it myself.
    I wouldn't consider myself to be handy but it really is easy to do.

1150 sound resonably enough.

cheers Dan, as a matter of interest how long did it take you, also where did you pick up the materials and what type of tools were necessary? Was thinking of doing it myself but afraid I'd make a balls of it!

Thanks

Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Again, try www.abwood.ie just tell them the size of area and they will give you all the materials that you need, including the instruction how to make it own your own.

maco wrote:
    Again, try www.abwood.ie just tell them the size of area and they will give you all the materials that you need, including the instruction how to make it own your own.

cheers Maco, forgot to say thanks in my previous reply :rolleyes: , had a quick look at that site last week, been too busy since to follow up on it, hopefully get the time to look into it properly this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GerryManderer

A good idea is to burn the grass on the area you intend to put the decking on. The scorched earth provides an excellent base to build over. I did it last summer, and it made the job so much easier. Try it, you will like it.

• Advertisement

A good idea is to burn the grass on the area you intend to put the decking on. The scorched earth provides an excellent base to build over. I did it last summer, and it made the job so much easier. Try it, you will like it.

sounds like a handy way of clearing the area alright, not too sure if my neighbours would approve though, I've got a neighbour on either side, wooden fencing that I'd be building the deck right up to on both sides, so could be a bit dangerous. Also as I'm not on the best of terms with a neighbour on one side, you know the type, complains a lot but tbh all complaints to date have been groundless, nevertheless, don't suddenly want to provide her with a valid complaint along the lines of "you burnt down my bloody fence!" :rolleyes:

Cheers for the tip though, I'll keep it in mind for when I finally shake off the shackles of estate living and get a patch of detached turf I can call my own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

e1150 sounds good. I would suggest getting a sample of the deck wood first and compare it to the stuff on sale generally. The price can vary a lot depending on the wood.
    thegills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GerryManderer

I wasn't suggesting using petrol and a box of matches - that could be dangerous and very smelly. Use chemicals to treat the area, you fool. It's also esier to control the size of the area you are scorching. Jesus.

Advertisement