Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Of War

Options
  • 14-07-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

*grin* Ah, with a game like this, capitalisation is necessary.

This game is fantastic. Buy it. Take Onimusha 2, sprinkle it with more blood, better camera angles, much nicer visuals, totally over the top boss fights, a nice twist on the combat system, and a heap of enemies from Ancient Greece, and you're half-way to realising just how fun this is to play.

Get it. Now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sick of telling people how good this game is.

Anyone who passes up this game to get the latest need for speed undergound deserves to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

is it available to rent anywhere? Id like to try it before I forked out €50 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

agreed - brilliant game, been playing it for the last few nights..

I fear its going to join games like Rez and Ico that *no one* buys when they come out, yet is on every single PS2 owners list of must have games as for some reason SCEE have no resources at all behind it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

There isn't enough games like this out :) Good fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Moojuice wrote:
    is it available to rent anywhere? Id like to try it before I forked out €50 for it.

How many times do I have to say this. Buy the bloody game! The only way you couldn't like this game was if you brought it home and realised you had an xbox instead of a PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I agree great game. Took a while to come out in Europe though. I read somewhere that there is a feud between Sony America and Sony Europe and they are not promoting each others game. Sounds ridiculous but who knows.

Was playing it last night and, not to take away from the game or anything, I found a glitch.

"Level 1" Boss spoilers:
    When fighting the Hydra for the third time and attacking the big head I had snapped the pole/mast on the boat. Then when I had dazed the Hydra the circle symbol came up for the "quick time event" or what ever they are called. I pressed circle and nothing happened. I tried repeatedly to do it, doing double jumps, launching into the air etc. from every angle but still no joy. I resarted from the checkpoint and still nothing. I assumed his head was going to be impaled but the boss kept moving to the right when dazed. It wasn't until I took the cd out and reloaded the game that it worked. Anyone else come across any problems down the road? Sorry for the rant but I was stuck there for 40 mins

God of War got bugger all promotion in America as well. There isn't a feud, Sony is just doing another 'Ico' but at least this game is selling better due to great word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Retr0gamer wrote:

Anyone who passes up this game to get the latest need for speed undergound deserves to be shot.
    The latest Need for Speed Underground is out? Great stuff...

Well the NFSU games are still selling for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wasn't there a way to scam Simplygames for a free copy of God of War. Had something to do with Ico....

• Advertisement

DAMN!! I do have an Xbox! No wonder my PS2 games wouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

grrrr!
    seriously tempted to pick up a ps2 just for this (i absolutely adore greek mythology)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Slurms wrote:
    Wasn't there a way to scam Simplygames for a free copy of God of War. Had something to do with Ico....

Simplygames claimed they were getting more copies of ICO in stock and accepted preorders. Interestingly enough, there were enough rpeoders to get the game into Simplygames' top ten. Sony cancelled the boat anyway, but sent everyone who preordered a free copy of God Of War and offered them 50% off Shadow Of The Colossus. Which was nice.

Great game, by the way. But does anyone else find the attack animations go on for far too long? Too easy to get caught up in a long(- ish) combo by accident, I've found. And grabbing is a bit fiddly. Oh, but great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Simplygames claimed they were getting more copies of ICO in stock and accepted preorders. Interestingly enough, there were enough rpeoders to get the game into Simplygames' top ten. Sony cancelled the boat anyway, but sent everyone who preordered a free copy of God Of War and offered them 50% off Shadow Of The Colossus. Which was nice.

Great game, by the way. But does anyone else find the attack animations go on for far too long? Too easy to get caught up in a long(- ish) combo by accident, I've found. And grabbing is a bit fiddly. Oh, but great game.
    Cheers, I only heard that people got it. I didn't know the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,346 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Retr0gamer wrote:

i actually agree with retro for once great game

I find that the block command cancels the combo nice and quickly before you get your ass kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Anyone in need of some moderate greek action with a pretty simplistic but enjoyable play system, might wanna give rygar - the legendary adventure. I enjoyed it, as much as i enjoyed the original in the arcade so long ago. Its very like onimusha, somewhat same-y at times but pretty good and probably available for a few quid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

loved this game. superb gameplay, and a pretty cool story. the main guy (cant remember his name) is a complete ****er for most of the game, which is a nice change to the goody goody guys we usually get.

far better then the prince of persia games, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

thi game is a reason to own a PS2 one of the best games I have ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

bugs wrote:
    Anyone in need of some moderate greek action with a pretty simplistic but enjoyable play system, might wanna give rygar - the legendary adventure.
    I don't know... I got enough moderate greek action to last me a lifetime with Gods on the Amiga.

• Advertisement

I bought it this weekend and it is fantastic. Taking up far too much of my time. It is really hard (on the hard setting) but it makes it well wporthwhile. Great gameplay. Relly reminds me of the old school hack and slash platformers, but better graphics and a lot slicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Very impressive game alright. The ps2 surprises me yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just finished this a few minutes ago, the last few levels are some of the best in the game. Jaw dropping.

I'm not going to give anything away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Er, really? Seemed to me like there was a sharp increase in crap platformy bits with plenty of oppourtunity for instant death towards the end of the game. Nasty stuff, albeit quite brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I didn't have much of a problem with the platform bits and when ever you did fall you didn't start far away. But I thought the spectacular settings and great action made up for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

i got this yesterday its a legend! the boss's are incredible really have a sense of well god-like ness to them, the scale is unreal. i'm only in Athens at the moment just saw aries (sp) what an entrance!!!

Advertisement