Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has the biggest....

• 16-06-2001 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Just to get things going...

What type of Internet connection is everyone here using and who's is biggest? (either home/work)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

well i'm on an l337 28.8 connection.
    I manage 31200bps with *some8 compression. I eed to know how to view these compression details, the STAC stuff.
    Also, how do u get an Eircom linesplitter off your line and get them to do it?
    It divides the 64kbps available on my phone line between two houses ie: my neighbours and mine, giveing both houses a max of 32kbps. I get 31.2kbps and am still paying normal rental charges, as though iwas getting a full 64kbps line! We are talking about basiclly renting bandwidth here, no matter what the thick-as-dried-sh|t-on-a-stick Eirocm salespe0ns say....
    'Can you make phone calls?'
    'Yes - but thats not the-'
    'Then what is the problem?'
    'I'm paying too much for too slow and poor a service'
    'Well i'm sorry sir but we're compying with our service policies...'
    'Oh for teh love of all tahts holy....'
    [Hangs Up]

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles
    knuddel.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

One option Syxpak would be to go for ISDN, even if you only keep it for a month, then they would have to give you the 64k.

Home Connection: 512/128 Cable Modem
    Work: STM1 optical connection, 155Mbit/s

(We are capped at 100K download speeds tho, but I have seen 800K download rates.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zee Dude:
    Work: STM1 optical connection, 155Mbit/s
    </font>

I knew someone would whip out a big one eek.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    Also, how do u get an Eircom linesplitter off your line and get them to do it
    </font>

That's known as DACS and there's f**k all you can do about it unless you know your local engineer. It happened to me a while ago and the only thing I could do was upgrade to ISDN. Eircom will only support data rates up to 9,600 baud on an analogue line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Possibly dacs'ing should be an issue for irelandoffline to take up? Just an idea, but i think it effects a lot of people that arent living in housing estates around major citys.

It takes the **** that eircom still dont have to guarentee a certain line quality for data aswell as voice - maybe something to raise with the odtr when you meet her soon? smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I have some degree of an understanding of what DACS is but is it possible that someone could post up a full explanation of it or a link to a page with a fuller explanation of it either here or on IrelandOffline's forum ( www.boards.ie/irelandoffline ) so they can chase it up as an issue?

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well I'm on a l33t 56k
    connected at 55,786 bps right now smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

On a constant 4mbit/Sec here with maximums of 18mbit/Sec(only seen it once).

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

ISDN at home, 512k leased line in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

ISDN @ Home
    VDSL in the office....

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    </font>

Is that an ATM link with some sort of burst capability?

The Bandwidth Junkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i have 512k at home which the fastest constant i saw going was 515k [strange huh?] and multiple dual isdn lines at work [not sure how many and why they dont get a leased line]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man:
    Is that an ATM link with some sort of burst capability?

</font>

Nope, its Unidirectional Satellite.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

smile.gif..

ISDN @ home

Um more bandwidth then u could ever use smile.gif

There aren't many in the country with as much in work.

Ro

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 18-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

still bog standard 56k at home.

But works another story, probably about as much as ronin there smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Since we give you your bandwidth eh no :P..

But yeah you do have more then most heh smile.gif..

Ro

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Home - None (waiting for ISDN).
    Work - Several connections, depends on where I'm downloading from. Average 100M.

With the right setup i could get 180Mbit/sec but that would mean 4 modems in the one machine, and that aint happening.
    oh yes, and this is at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I also heard on teh tech boards a few months back that I will NEVER BE ABLE TO GET ADSL ON MY LINE BECAUSE IT'S A DACS LINE!

That really is just taking the p1ss entirely.
    I'm paying for full bandwidth and they're purposley resrticting me too half of it and will not remove it! i think i'll get onto teh ombudsman. i feel i have a case, 9600bps max gaurentee or not, that's just bull.
    he might put the sh|t up them if I get a few more people to pitch in. the ODTR is useless, not enough power given to them.

Get full ISDN, i was told ppl with ISDN with get priority when its upgrade time @ your exchange as its easier to convert than standard lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

2mbit cable system, with 1mbit upstream, shared with one other person (my housemate).

At work, something bloody stupid (12mb to Telehouse afaik) but shared with a silly big publishing house. Nice in the evenings mind.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    2mbit cable system, with 1mbit upstream, shared with one other person (my housemate).
    </font>

Very interesting.
    Who supplied the cable for you, and @ what cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

he lives in england. Hence the 2mbit cable line smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

we got some optic fibre-ey thing-a-majig in college and get downloads of 200k. max i ever saw was 375k download. nice smile.gif

isdn @ home

-ciaran
    smak2thefuture.gif

[This message has been edited by smoke-me-a-kipper (edited 21-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:

</font>

Quick Q about installing sat connection. I've heard its good if the dude thats installing the dish uses a spectral analyser. Is this absolutely nessecary cos I could be looking for some time for one around here.

fanks

no way man.
    it will cost you double or even triple to get an installer with a spectrum analyser.
    if you dont want to align the dish yourself (no that hard, i swear), then an LNB meter should do the trick.
    Starspeeder advise a spectrum analyser but as they are too lazy to change their site (not), but the best tool to align your dish is your satellite card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Cool, thanks for the info. One thing I forgot in that last post was to ask what dish size is best. Would a bog standard sky minidish do the trick or is it best to get something bigger (60cm). Also something about lnb's which I cant quite phrase properly now so I'll leave it.

fanks again

Dunno about the mini dish (dont have one) but i know it has been done for starspeeder.
    A board MOD (Bearlover) uses his mini dish but hes in scotland.
    A 60CM dish should cost no more than 30 squid ( go for solid dish though ).
    If you go for starspeeder the LNb should be digital (another 30-50 squid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

whooping 56k at home
    not sure what sort of leased line in work.
    have got 800k+ speeds on a quiet evening downloading, so its fat enough for, er, downloading

• Advertisement

Heres a peak i recently hit, completely killed my system.
    (ps) that is bytes per sec, its even good if it was bits but its better.

dreamspeed.gif

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 21-06-2001).]

Advertisement