Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has the biggest....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Zee Dude

Thats a sweet connection.

what sort of network interface you got chernobyl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

It was only a peak that lasted about 10 seconds.
    if you wanna know about what i got, and how exactly i get "it" then email me.
    wont dicuss it here.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    Get full ISDN, i was told ppl with ISDN with get priority when its upgrade time @ your exchange as its easier to convert than standard lines.</font>

Am, I'm not too sure about this, and i have a fair idea you lads/lassies/misc. would have a better knowlage then me but:
    ADSL is a POTS sysem right?
    But ISDN is a digital thing, which is not 'plain old telephone network', AFAIk. I haven't gotten ISDN ymyself yet so I don't know if they install a new line or not.
    But I read a while back in PCGamer that BT were going to charge ISDn users extra for getting ADSl because they had to uninstall the digital ISDN line first, then install the ADSl thing.
    Now, like I said, i'm really not sure, but sould you clarify this please?
    Also, what physical form (adapters, routers, "modems") will/would ADSl use inside you actual house? i ask this for connection sharing purposes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:

Am, I'm not too sure about this, and i have a fair idea you lads/lassies/misc. would have a better knowlage then me but:
    ADSL is a POTS sysem right?
    But ISDN is a digital thing, which is not 'plain old telephone network', AFAIk. I haven't gotten ISDN ymyself yet so I don't know if they install a new line or not.
    But I read a while back in PCGamer that BT were going to charge ISDn users extra for getting ADSl because they had to uninstall the digital ISDN line first, then install the ADSl thing.
    Now, like I said, i'm really not sure, but sould you clarify this please?
    Also, what physical form (adapters, routers, "modems") will/would ADSl use inside you actual house? i ask this for connection sharing purposes...
    </font>

ADSL/ISDN/POTS all run over the same type of wire, the difference is what is done at the ends of the cable. Eircom may charge to have an ISDN line removed and replaced with a POTS line, but then ISDN users are more likely to be able to get DSL because their line won't have DACS on it.

There are two types of DSL modems, USB and Ethernet. The USB one works like a modem and you can share it using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows. The Ethernet version needs a network card in your PC and you can share the connection using NAT.

The Bandwidth Junkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Take a gander at my pathetic setup biggrin.gif
    (1)56K modem shared between two PC's connected by serial cable (DCC), anyone beat that for poopyness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 webman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    Take a gander at my pathetic setup biggrin.gif
    (1)56K modem shared between two PC's connected by serial cable (DCC), anyone beat that for poopyness?
    </font>

Fair play to you Santa, not many people would have the balls to admit that. smile.gif

Smoking Man, thanks, but what i meant was tha thing in the wall, is it a RJ-45 socket or what, is that the actual ADSL "modem"/"terminal"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

just an update.
    i told some of you guys that i will be putting up a webpage about Europeonline.
    Thats still ago, but it will be the end of the weekend before its in place as there is an amazing amount of tools and stuff i need to put in there.
    url is = http://www22.brinkster.com/chernobyl/
    only a temporary "ugly" there now.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 23-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    Smoking Man, thanks, but what i meant was tha thing in the wall, is it a RJ-45 socket or what, is that the actual ADSL "modem"/"terminal"?</font>
    On the wall there will probably be a splitter. This will separate the high frequency ADSL signal from the voice signal. On this splitter box there will be a standard phone connection. There will be another port (I'm not sure what type) into which the ADSL "modem" is plugged. The ADSL modem will be a separate unit not attached to the wall. The ADSL modem will either have a USB port or a network port. If the latter is the case, then you will need a standard network card specifically for the ADSL connection. I think Eircom will probably opt for the USB type.

But of course THEY will opt for USB, they wouldn't want the poor paying customer actually using the bandwidth available how they liked, now would they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

I think this would be for ease of installation - no opening up of the PC for the installations engineer. Most home users would not already have one installed or know how to install one.

If they do opt for USB, you may still be able to buy the eqivalent ethernet modem.

I should say that I have no idea what equipment Eircom will actually use. USB is just a guess based on BT's offering in the UK and ESAT's testing earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Esat now offer ATM up to STM-4 tongue.gif

http://www.esat.com/products/atmsvc.asp

Advertisement