Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden floors

Options
  • 14-07-2005 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi

can anyone recommend some decent places for buying solid wooden flooring around dublin/baltinglass/carlow region?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

I can recommend who *not* to get, this crowd...

http://www.thehardwoodfloorcompany.com/

They put a floor in for me and made a balls of it, creaky etc etc. After two months mucking around they came out and tried to push cardboard under the floor in an effort to fix it! Avoid at all costs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

Brookes Thomas behind Royal Liver business park (accross road from McDonald on Kylemore Road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Patto

Sorry for hijaking the thread. Two questions.

1. How long to solid oak floor boards need to breath before laying? Is 5 days at this time of year too short?

2. I noticed one of the new oak boards has what looks like a cluster of woodworm. I've seen a lot of woodworm and it looks exactly like the woodworm. It appears to have been treated. i.e. the little holes are filled on the finished side of the board and there is no evedence that they are still residend. Seems to affect one board only in the one box I opened. I said it to the supplier and he assures me this is fine. That in any natural product such defects can exist. Is this something to worry about? I thought woodworm only affected softwoods?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

We are getting flooring down as we write and were told it had to be left to acclimatise for 2 weeks. That was recommended by the manufacturer. Some boards will have defects so just ask the fitter to put them aside or lay them where a press will be.
    Sorry am in Limerick area can't recommend any shops , but we got solid oak flooring 5 1/2 inches wide for €42 per square yard.
    Getting it laid is costing 15 per square yard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Patto wrote:
    Sorry for hijaking the thread. Two questions.

1. How long to solid oak floor boards need to breath before laying? Is 5 days at this time of year too short?

2. I noticed one of the new oak boards has what looks like a cluster of woodworm. I've seen a lot of woodworm and it looks exactly like the woodworm. It appears to have been treated. i.e. the little holes are filled on the finished side of the board and there is no evedence that they are still residend. Seems to affect one board only in the one box I opened. I said it to the supplier and he assures me this is fine. That in any natural product such defects can exist. Is this something to worry about? I thought woodworm only affected softwoods?
    Don't worry about that: you'll often find beetle holes, especially in oak. The holes mean they're gone!!

There's no magic number of days you should leave the boards to acclimatise. If at all possible, I would try to leave them in the house for a month before laying them. I realise this isn't always possible because they get in the way, but you do want them to be fully in tune with the house before you lay them. Try leaving it longer than your suggested five days if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement