Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The reason why some United Fans are so hated...

• 14-07-2005 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

sorry lads, this should really be in humour, its complete tools like this that give all you united fans a bad name... but as a pool fan, i can only laugh!

From the mailbox on Football365.com Wednesday 13th July..
    More Respect For MUFC, Please

I think it's high time some people started to pay Manchester United the respect they are due, and which they are worth.

Football365 is one example of a media outlet that roundly accepts, and, in some cases, even seems to glorify in pieces written by its journalists, else sent in by your correspondents, bitter and jealous people with nothing better to do it seems, than roundly criticise the club, its players, staff, the wonderful fans, and, most of all, the manager.

If Manchester United was in any other club, it would be venerated. Worshipped, yes, by its own supporters, but also respected and held in quiet deference and respect by the rest of the community. I could not, and still cannot, comprehend the lack of support that the club and its fans, myself included, got from other clubs and its supporters during the Glazer takeover, I am at a loss to understand the jibes and remarks that have accompanied these last few troubled months, it almost seems as if some people are actually pleased (!) to see the club in such turmoil.

This club, people, provides you with the highlight of your season. Ask the lesser clubs like Norwich, like Bolton, like Portsmouth, what was their abiding memory of last season, what was it? You will not fail to get the same response, it was your trip to the Theatre of Dreams, the chance to soak up the atmosphere, the sights, the sounds of a great club and its history, to have your picture taken by the statue of Sir Matt, and to watch players like Giggsy, Scholes and Rooney share the pitch and a game with your own humble but hardworking heroes.

Likewise the chance to actually see these players at your club, playing on your pitch, in your town. People talk about United coming for weeks beforehand and for weeks afterwards. On one of those trips last season, it took a round twelve-hour trip for the club coach to get to Norfolk, to play Norwich, but what was the result of all that effort and commitment? No, not the loss - though it would have been nice if the Norwich fans and players had given the team a little more respect before, during, and after the game - no stars on your pitch next season Delia, no legends in Norfolk - it was the fact that there was no recognition of this, no feature in the local press or TV, no reception, no presentation by a club who you would feel might be grateful for the publicity and honour, nothing at all. Such clubs deserve the ignimony of relegation.

Now, with another season pending, the knives are out again. Sir Alex Ferguson (and that's how you say his name, not 'Fergie', that's for us fans, or worse) is being roundly written off before a ball is kicked, and all the talk is of Chelsea and Arsenal, Jose and Arsene, Gerrard, Vieora, Lampard, and Liverpool and their so-called 'Champions League' win. Get back to us when you've won it again Scousers, the mighty Mancs have won this trophy twice now, when you draw level with us, then we'll talk...

...for the good of football, it is imperative that United retain the Premiership next season, equally, I would like to think that all of football is backing us in this bid. A strong and successful United is essential for the game and for the nation, why people cannot realise this, and, instead of condemning and taking cheap shots at us, demonstrate some appreciation and respect, I'll never know.

How anyone can support another club when there is United, I'll never know.

Spencer Davies (no, not he of the beat combo!), Walton-upon-Thames

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Its a joke - has to be.

Its probably a pool fan lampooning man utd fans. There are so many classic lines in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It is classic alright, rhough id say it could well be a 'pool fan taking the piss, just judging from the champs league comments.
    Incidentally here's a link to the next mailbox with people freaking out about that letter!
    http://www.football365.com/opinion/mailbox/story_156958.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I'm sorry but am I right in saying that the above idiot is saying that United have won the Champions League twice and that the 'pool only once????? If so, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, and people say they are brainless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea, i was reading todays mailbox on f365 and they were sayin it was a joke too, its gas all the same though! i know some united lads that arn't too far away from that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I like this response:
    ...In response to Spencer Davies email, I'd like to point out that as a supporter of a 'lesser' team like Portsmouth, one of the highlights of last season wasn't actually the trip to the theatre of dreams (6 hours on a minibus getting to that festering corner of england, an hour and a half trying to get out of a car park), but beating them for the second time in two seasons at Fratton.
    John Newton, Portsmouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

it is imperative that United retain the Premiership next season

surely has to be a joke, i mean how could united retain the title next year, surely he meant regain, or somethin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

its a sadder indictment of the people that actually think this was written by a Utd Fan :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

monster: its not that hard to believe - you should check out some of the plastic fans up in my local!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Its a wind up - not even ManU fans are that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

its a joke.
    its obvious.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It's not that obvious, there are not only some United fans like that about, there are some united fans like that about on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

One of the most subtle pieces of satire iv seen in a while. It's JUST exaggerated enough to make you stop and think for a second. And im a United fan!!

Advertisement