Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

monster *spoiler*

• 14-07-2005 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

has anyone seen this what could be the monster blowing up the engine in the first episode

lostturbineenhanced4pr.gif

heres a screen cap

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

another gif of the monster from the finale

790641837lostmonstersm5sq.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

You mean that thing that looks like a sheet of matel flying over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There was something about that sceen when I first watched it - I thought it was just their special effects being a little dodgy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I've seen a few discussions on this before. Its my opinion that the black "sheet" (for want of a better word) is a lot closer to Jack & Claire than the picture first suggets. I think if you look really closely, the sheet is in fact almost at the camera, and flies upwards becuase of the air currents, thus having nothing to do with the engine exploding, which is in fact caused by the bloke getting sucked into it in the previous scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

mr_angry wrote:
    which is in fact caused by the bloke getting sucked into it in the previous scene.

but the monster could have pushed him :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I've seen that gif before and watched the episode back at that point...

It does indeed have a pouf of black smoke flying over the engine as it explodes... it's not a fake screencap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

An engine would not actually explode like that if someone was to have got sucked into it though. The engine housing are designed to withstand fans breaking loose and "birdstrike". If someone was to have got sucked into it and broke some of the fan blades it would have been a very messy incident for the person involved but the housing of the engine itself would have stayed intact and not exploded.

If you watch the first few frames of the first gif there is a small fire which seems to go out immediatly which I suspect was the guy getting sucked into it. Then you have the "monster" fly over the engine and the engine itself exploding.

*strokes beard and thinks*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a good point winters, but you're missing two things.

1. engines not exploding when something hits them is dependent on them still being attached to a plane, and not in the wreckage of a crash with the possibility of fuel leaking through it. someone hitting the blades and causing them to shear off would very likely cause a few sparks etc. etc.

2. this is hollywood where EVERYTHING blows up, regardless of whether or not it's possible. after all it was a lot more interesting than the guy getting sucked in and then it just stopping.

3. come to think of it, it wouldn't have blown up like that even if it was absolutely covered in fuel. jet fuel is after all just paraffin which doesn't go bang like that anyway, hence the reason for it being used as jet fuel. (don't get me started on 9-11!).

do we know why the plane crashed yet? i'm ahead of the IRL showing, but only slightly. just watched ep. 13 that concentrated on locke and boone. getting very good too. i was thinking that they'd pull something like saieed being a suicide bomber or something, but i've gone off the idea.

Advertisement