Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with IBB Ripwave, please!

• 14-07-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi. Got my Ripwave in less than 2 weeks after ordering. However I haven't been able to get an internet connection. The led is constantly red (weak signal according to the manual). The Link Status in Navini Diagnostics shows two green ticks for both links and the Signal Strength and Quality shows 4-5 orange lines.

So it seems I have a connection but after configuring Internet Explorer according to the instructions I still cannot download any web pages. I have also tried Firefox but to no avail.

I am using a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop with Windows XP (SP2 installed).

I have been trying to get assistance from IBB by phone, but after waiting for more than 15 minutes (!!) and wasting my money I decided to write them an email, to which I don't have much hope of getting an answer anyway.

I've tried to search the forum but haven't found anything. Sorry if I missed it. I'm in a bit of a hurry (they only give you 7 days to try it) so if anybody can give me a hand I'd be very grateful. Otherwise I'll have to return the Ripwave in a couple of days...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Return it now, you're entitled to your money back. Don't take no for an answer.

These guys are basically defrauding their users. I had to have my modem replaced because of a fault that they said, "has had problems like this", and they attempted to charge me for it.

I cancelled the bill, and currently looking into taking legal action to get my money back for this awful disservice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

inigo wrote:
    Hi. Got my Ripwave in less than 2 weeks after ordering. However I haven't been able to get an internet connection. The led is constantly red (weak signal according to the manual). The Link Status in Navini Diagnostics shows two green ticks for both links and the Signal Strength and Quality shows 4-5 orange lines.

So it seems I have a connection but after configuring Internet Explorer according to the instructions I still cannot download any web pages. I have also tried Firefox but to no avail.

I am using a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop with Windows XP (SP2 installed).

I have been trying to get assistance from IBB by phone, but after waiting for more than 15 minutes (!!) and wasting my money I decided to write them an email, to which I don't have much hope of getting an answer anyway.

I've tried to search the forum but haven't found anything. Sorry if I missed it. I'm in a bit of a hurry (they only give you 7 days to try it) so if anybody can give me a hand I'd be very grateful. Otherwise I'll have to return the Ripwave in a couple of days...

RETURN IT!!!!

Return it now...before its too late.
    Its as simple as that..pack all their equipment up and drop it into their offices demanding to speak to at least a supervisor to get monies returned to you!!!

If you dont return it now then you deserve to have IBB take your money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you got a firewall on the pc?

Have you tried disabling it to see if this allows traffic through?
    Can you ping out?
    Are you getting an ip address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

Moonbeam wrote:
    Have you got a firewall on the pc?

Have you tried disabling it to see if this allows traffic through?
    Can you ping out?
    Are you getting an ip address?

I haven't got a firewall that I know of. I think I am getting an ip address. Haven't checked he pings though... Also, I'll try with another laptop tonight

So tonight it's the last chance to get it working. If not I'm returning it tomorrow morning...

Thanks for the ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Where's your location inigo?

• Advertisement

bruachain wrote:
    Where's your location inigo?

Dublin 14, somewhere between Deer Park and Foster Avenue...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ipconfig in windows - to get ip address

ping -t 62.231.32.10 - to ping their priamary name server

Cheers! Will try that tonight... fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Use the radio to wedge the door open, as an ornament, even an elaborate nose picker. Just don't expect it to be any good for "broadband" or, just send it back and get a real broadband supplier.

I tried last night with another computer and it worked, slowly but it worked, with both windows and linux. Not being into gaming or anything like that, all I want is an internet connection without a phone line. But it still doesn't work with my laptop, so I'm going to IBB with it and the Ripwave this very morning. If they don't fix it I'll return it...

Any better ideas to cover my very basic internet needs without a land line?

BTW, with my laptop I got an ip address but no pings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if it works on another computer then its not really IBBs fault your laptop if set up wrong

Things to try ..

Right click your ehternet connection in Netowrk connections and select repair , this resets the TCP/IP stack and other things

Then go to the INternet settings in control panel , then connection , choose , do not dial a connection , then LAN setting and choose the automatically dedect settings , apply and ok all this and restart windows just to be sure

TUrn off the software firewall if you have one and then test .....

formatman wrote:
    if it works on another computer then its not really IBBs fault your laptop if set up wrong

That's what I thought. I'll try that. Thanks.

I just read that the 'cooling period' is 7 working days so I'll keep trying over the weekend (I only got it on Monday).

BTW, does Windows SP2 have something to do with firewalls? It kind of rings a bell. After reading about it I never installed it (my girlfriend's laptop, she installed it). Perhaps this is causing the problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Get a virus checker, spybot s&r and a personal firewall. When I first installed my ripwave unit I got infected when I went on-line (or possibly always was) and my machine got riddled with stuff that took down my internet connection. Get your browser & OS patched up to latest releases too.

That didn't help me with their awful signal quality. I believe I live 200m from their galway mast too, and I am obstructed by a single semi-detatched house. My UL has never gone above 50 kbps either, and usually languishes below 10(!) that I can tell.

I got ripwave for the same reasons you did - I rent, and can't get a phone line in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

when did they start to sell ripwave in Galway ? is that the Ballybrit mast BTW

I'm at home using the Ripwave with our laptop, so problem solved!!

The TCP/IP was set up with a fixed ip address and dns server. So I only had to click on the automatic options...

The speed is pretty bad but it just cover my needs. I can make phone calls with skype, listen to the radio, browse...

Thank you all for the help and ideas!

Sponge Bob wrote:
    when did they start to sell ripwave in Galway ? is that the Ballybrit mast BTW

In June I believe. I signed up in June. I think Breeze may have been sold earlier, and it is probably far better suited to Galway.

And yes I *believe* its the eircom mast in Mervue/Ballybrit, it seems to be born out by the pitiful improvement in signal quality I get when I point it in that direction. Though I got that information from this board, and not anyone who is an employee of IBB. Theres nowhere else really that they can install the service that would give them any kind of decent coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

sharingan wrote:
    In June I believe. I signed up in June. I think Breeze may have been sold earlier, and it is probably far better suited to Galway.

There’s nowhere else really that they can install the service that would give them any kind of decent coverage

The Ballybane well they call it that, but it's more like in Mervue/Ballybrit,
    3 Sectors went live start of Apirl, connected two weeks later, From what I was told it was to go live in December but they got healed up between eircom and the wireless equipment provider.

Tonabrucky went live at the start of June with again 3 sectors.
    Both aren't 360 Degrees coverage only about 60Degress per sector. Also another thing that’s killing the signal is the Transmition equipment for Breeze is about half way down from the top. Very low for people in Renmore, Oranmore and Claregalway. A few of my friends faiedl LOS test and they heard the hundreds have failed all over Galway.

I don't understand you don't get the highest mast in County Galway and not put it on the top so that people that Can't get broadband CAN! :confused:

PlasmaFish wrote:
    Both aren't 360 Degrees coverage only about 60Degress per sector. Also another thing that’s killing the signal is the Transmition equipment for Breeze is about half way down from the top. Very low for people in Renmore, Oranmore and Claregalway. A few of my friends faiedl LOS test and they heard the hundreds have failed all over Galway.

I don't understand you don't get the highest mast in County Galway and not put it on the top so that people that Can't get broadband CAN! :confused:

Halfway up the mast will barely clear the roof of the eircom building itself (between the mast and Galway city centre).

Advertisement