Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Win XP updates

• 14-07-2005 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Is there some way to save all the windows xp updates to my pc rather than download them everytime that I need to reinstall or fomat my pc to reinstall win xp. It would save me a lot of time as I'm only on a dial up connection at the moment...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I thought the updates did dl to yer hdd to WUTemp folder prior to installing and were deleted once installed??

has that changed with the last windowsupdate site fix a while back?

if not, let the updates dl, then cancel the install and find the WUTemp folder [it's on my C: drive]

else go here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 medex

use the microsoft download website to search for your updates and then save them to disk or ur usb key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

How Do You Do That? At Medex...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How Do You Do That? At Medex...
    Like this.

There is no way to do what you suggest using Windows Update.

jesus am I stupid I read medex's post so fast that I didn't realise what I was asking. I alread know how to do that but is there some way to it automatically. I mean use win update to save all the updates to my hard drive? rather than search for them all individually? sometime you cant get the update using the search feature and that annoys me. It takes a good while to search from them all.. there must be some automatic way to do this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is no way to do what you suggest using Windows Update.
    it's proxy unfriendly so you can't even cache it easily that way either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

it's proxy unfriendly so you can't even cache it easily that way either :(
    Well, he could get a cheap ass Windows 2000 Server box to cache them on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

You could also download autopatcher from here,

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=334257

It contains all the XP updates and more such as WMP10, Java, plugins etc. Very handy and it is updated monthly

Cool il give that a look!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tip - it saves the files as EXE's and you can just cut/paste them back into the folder again after you rebuild the server so you don't need to download them again. yes you can run the exe's by themselves, but be bloody sure you aren't running a server patch on a workstation and visa-versa

• Advertisement

Capt'n that's not making much sense to me! Can you explain it a bit more for me? I'm not well up on servers... What is a server patch? What do you mean by rebuild the server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

odie wrote:
    You could also download autopatcher from here,

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=334257

It contains all the XP updates and more such as WMP10, Java, plugins etc. Very handy and it is updated monthly

that sounds pretty good, i just had them all saved individually.

Advertisement