Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's A Two Horse Race For Meteor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/07/25/story213304.html
    eircom stock fell by 11c, or 5.88%, to €1.76 after this morning's confirmation that the company is to buy mobile phone operator Meteor for �420m, subject to shareholder and regulatory approval.
    Its actually currently trading down on €1.76 to €1.74.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Page 28 of these slides is interesting.

Apparently eircom have just about 150,000 DSL subscribers as of today.
    They still are aiming for 500,000 by December 2007.
    They promise approx 90% of lines will be enabled for DSL by March '06!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

viking wrote:
    Interesting figures there.
    For example the broadband and Internet revenue chart on page 28.
    Can somebody explain what the figures in the blue-shaded area mean?

P

Interesting figures there.

Can somebody explain what the figures in the blue-shaded area mean?

P

I was completley stumped by that too.

BTW when is the end of Q1 05/06 for Eircom? 30 June?

• Advertisement

Financial Year Ends 31st March

I presume the 1st April is when Q1 begins and ends at 30 June as Vinny said. Figures in blue would then be eircom's quarterly figures:

Q1 04/05 is 1st April 04 - 30 June 04
    Q1 05/06 is 1st April 05 - 30 June 05

viking wrote:
    Financial Year Ends 31st March

Figures in blue would then be eircom's quarterly figures:

Blue being % of some income pot and white being absolute values - is that it?

Don't think they're % figures, mostly likely actual millions for each quarter.

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Blue being ...?

So the blue figures are the quarterly figures, I guess.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Big Phil Nolan was just on the news proclaiming how eircom has been reducing fixed line costs.

I almost wet myself with laughter!

• Advertisement

viking wrote:
    It finished €1.73, 7.49% wiped off the value of the company in one day.

Ouch, the market doesn't appear to like the fact that eircom have purchased Meteor. Overburdened with debt perhaps, €1.9 billion before the purchase...

Although its dropped lower before, €1.71 at the end of June, €1.36 at the beginning of April 04, so I don't think we're about to see a total collapse of the share price just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Will Eircom campain fr a "Line Rental" on Mobiles now?
    :-)
    I hope the don't mess it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watty wrote:
    Will Eircom campain fr a "Line Rental" on Mobiles now?
    :-)
    I hope the don't mess it up.

they better not. that was the reason i went with Meteor. i pay for only my calls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

On Page 5 there is the word "branding" under the title "integration". Anyone know what was said about branding at the AGM ?? From this document it looks like Meteor could be rebranded "Eircom Mobile" ?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

zuma wrote:
    We will still be paying the most in Europe(as usual) for mobile calls no matter what happens!!!
    Ireland does not have the most expensive mobile calls in Europe, not by a long shot. Don't believe everything you hear.

Ireland does not have the most expensive mobile calls in Europe, not by a long shot. Don't believe everything you hear.
    Yeah, right. Care to cast a look at the chart on page 12 of the eircom document?

There is one people paying more, but they are the ones who find Ireland a cheap place when they visit as tourists, pay the equivalent of €10 for a burger ...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Well as eircomtribunal has kindly pointed out through eircoms document, we are the most expensive in Europe.

arpusacrosseurope7uv.th.jpg
    (ARPU) Average Return Per User.
    The higher that number the more money made on us...why not drop the prices a little as they appear to earn a LOT from us???

Switzerland only joined the UN a couple of years ago and has no intention of joining the EU(which most people call Europe) so as I said before the most EXPENSIVE in Europe as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Switzerland is in europe isn't it.
    It's not part of Aaia America Oceania or Antartica , so it'sEurope. I mean if the Von Traps walked from Austria the surely it's in europe it would be ahell of a walk to Asia.

What does most expensive mean?? ARPU doesn't mean expensive.
    If you want to comare the cost of call look at that call charges.
    If you have lower charges but use your phone more then you ARPU will be high. That said oour call charges are quite high, not sure how they comaper to other countries, we could be the most expensive. ARPU doesn't tell us that though

As for the share value. People are selling ther chares because Eircom will be raising money through theie shares. SO peoples share holding will be reduces unless they stump up for more shares. It pretty much was expected to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ARPU does not mean most expensive but it could mean that the BUNDLES on offer in Ireland are sub optimal.

3 is due to launch this week :)

What does most expensive mean?? ARPU doesn't mean expensive.
    If you want to comare the cost of call look at that call charges.
    We've published one chart for mobile costs from the EC on comwreck. There are more for different "baskets", all say the same: Ireland is one of the most expensive in the EC for post paid market, not with pre-paid.
    eu_figures10small.gif
    P.

• Advertisement

That means nothing. Anyone can base a graph on selective figures - you could do it and make Ireland look like one of the cheapest. Ireland is in the upper bracket alright, no doubt about it, but if you look at it in terms of our income, it's one of the cheapest. It's all subjective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Grow up, kid.

Very mature.

Humour.

Anyone can base a graph on anything, however the fact of the matter is that Ireland has the second-highest ARPU in Europe (as a land mass), and although high usage is certainly a factor, so is margin. Denying that Irish subsribers are being fleeced, in relative terms, is just ridiculous. And childish. Get it now?

adam

ARPU is not a fair indicator though, and not how it should be measured. Ask any business analyst in the world.

Ireland's ARPU is higher than Spain's. Why? Because Irish people make more calls, spend more time on the phone, therefore they generate a higher AVERAGE REVENUE PER USER. The per minute charge is far higher in Spain, so base your graph on that for a more accurate reflection. I've lived in both countries, and trust me, mobile calls are far cheaper in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

and trust me, mobile calls are far cheaper in Ireland.

As a rule of thumb I don't trust anybody that says "trust me".

I'd prefer if you proved it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ARPU is not a fair indicator though, and not how it should be measured. Ask any business analyst in the world.

Given that 3 has just launched today, with price plans that are much better value for money then vodafone or o2, it shows that you are wrong:

http://www.3ireland.ie/ireland/iexplore/ihowmuch/ipriceplans/index.omp

bk wrote:
    Given that 3 has just launched today, with price plans that are much better value for money then vodafone or o2, it shows that you are wrong:

http://www.3ireland.ie/ireland/iexplore/ihowmuch/ipriceplans/index.omp
    How on earth does that prove that I'm 'wrong'?

bealtine wrote:
    As a rule of thumb I don't trust anybody that says "trust me".

I'd prefer if you proved it.
    Ok, have a look here, Vodafone Spain:

http://www.vodafone.es/Vodafone/EmpresasPS/EmpresasPSNew/0,2979,10825,00.html

12c just to initiate a call, and then 15c per minute after that.

• Advertisement

How on earth does that prove that I'm 'wrong'?
    Now you really are being silly. Stop wasting people's time.

Advertisement