Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do 'Real' Music fans annoy you?

Options
  • 14-07-2005 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

you know as in the likes of, 'oh i saw the killers* last year and they were excellent, but sometime around when they started selling shedloads of albums i realised that they were actually crap'

*may also work for the frames, snow patrol,
    and with some time probably kaiser chiefs, razorlight and bloc party.

just gettin absolutely sick and tired of these guys, you know who i'm talkin about.

Well do they? 41 votes

Yes, they annoy me
    0%
    No, they don't
    80%
    stevoslicethe_sycotony 2 tonesickledreginDrag00n79Mystic FibrosisweemcdLagunaCianan2steviecBuck Owens_blank_crimsonfireibanezomnicorpmp3guyBeekaycashbackDinner 33 votes
    They used to, but now they annoy everyone, so i think there brilliant...
    19%
    Civilian_TargetPiEcournioniFuhrioJohnrandombassistqzpbsuxok1znja4r 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I have yet to meet someone who isn't a music snob of some level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

No, they don't
    I agree. Everyone at some level is a music snob. We all have those bands that we throw out there when reccommending music knowing full well only 6 people on the planet has heard of them just to make ourselves feel that much better. Thats a little annoying. I do it sometimes.

But the ****ers I really hate are the ones who respond with "Oh I discovered them ages ago" or "I was the first to listen to them/him/her". Those peeps really tick me off. I remember my ex had this friend that had to know everything about all these underground acts before you and would go on and on about a band/artist until you heard them for yourself and all of a sudden they are yesterdays news. She wouldnt give you a lend of the album or make a copy or anything. I call them fickle music hoarders. If I heard of a great new band or even rediscovered an old band I would want to share them with my nearest and dearest. Not in a look what I have kind of way but in a thought you might like these kind of way.

Sorry bout the essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

what about the other side of the coin?
    you spend your life follwing a little band around for years,then suddenly they become massive and cant a ticket to a concert cus suddenly all these "new" fans have appeared.happens in football all the time.
    sometimes i am a musical snob,but only cus i cant stand someone who has been listening to a band for 5 minutes telling me the delays sound very similar to the smashing pumpkins etc.
    *part time rant over*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

To be honest I don't like those bands you mentioned though I never pretended to. I know the kind of people you're on about though and you're right, they're very annoying. Everyone wants to feel like it's 'their' band. We all have a few unknown(ish) bands like Gross Halfwit said, though I'd rather see them become successful than play in small bars for the rest of their career. It's hard for a band to achieve the balance of being successful but not being too 'in your face'. Still...it's the music that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

I know what you mean, it is fun to mention underground bands to people especially trendy people, but also tell people about good bands! Like when my cousin discovered Falconer or I discovered Hammerfall, we told our friends! But still, it annoys me sometimes, for example when someone proceeded to tell me Soundtrack To Your Escape was In Flames' second album and were surprised when i told them the names of all their albums!

• Advertisement

No, they don't
    I hate the fans that have been listening a band for 5 minutes and are all ofa sudden an expert. Thats irks me. Also 'fans' who rub it in your face that they have that extra japanese import than you thus nullifying your love of the band. You know? That pisses me off.

A lot of Damien Rice fans are like this! I really like Damien Rice but I went to a gig of his last year i think it was and while in the bar I was chatting to the young lady accompanying me. We were just throwing around a few songs that we hoped he d play when this sickening couple turned to us and started mentioning songs i didnt even know existed! We said we never heard of them. The couple did that laughy thing to eachother. So I said do you know "How to run very fast cause Im gonna kill you"? they said is it a bootleg. I said sort of.

Muppets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, they don't
    Also 'fans' who rub it in your face that they have that extra japanese import than you
    i actually got the japanese import of slipknots-the subliminal verses :) but i have yet to rub it in some1s face yet! :P....good stuff that import lol.

anyway i do have an annoying musical friend,he doesn't buy cds because he likes them..he goes 'oh they are popular now,i'll buy that' urgh etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wow touchy.. touchy.. touchy
    *strokes his japanese import of blind guardian - a past and future secret*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Bands get popular for a reason. I mean the likes of Leonard Cohen is popular but he's hardly main stream and he's not going to be the next in thing. It's because his music is brilliant and that's that. I've heard a million underground never heard of before bands mentioned to me but a vast percentage of them probably aren't good at all and are just favoured because nobody else knows them which makes the person suggestion it have a certain edge. I'm sure there is music out there that I would love and I hope some day I will discover it. But I'm not going to waste time listening to ****e someone recommends to me because nobody has ever heard of them.

I listen to allot of bands that the vast majority of people in Ireland haven't heard of, but that's not why I listen to them at all. I listen for the music, the likes of Dave Matthews Band, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are greatly popular elsewhere and they are both amazing bands. I don't go around wearing their t-shirts or anything though. I don't wear any bands t-shirts actually and have no desire to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm quite happy when a band moves from underground to mainstream. as long as they dont sell out of course. it shows the hard work put in by the band has paid off.
    however I do despise people who only like bands which are underground, and when they become popular, they suddenly dislike them.
    I've been listening to Nightwish and HIM for 3 years now and have seen them progress from relative obscurity, in these parts, to becoming well known names on the rock/metal scene. I could never get their stuff anywhere-even in Dublin, but now most music shops stock them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, they don't
    ya crazy frog and busted are my favourite talented bands,scr3w youse! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

People who get really snobby about what music they listen to can be really annoying. Though I'm personally responsible for getting half my mates listening to Sonata Arctica... Reckon I'm just repaying the favour to the mate who got me into Tool. :)
    And on the subject of Japanese imports... Dir en Grey... I'm gonna have to sell my firstborn to ever get my hands on any of their albums.

No, they don't
    i had to get the jap import it had an extra song and it was the best on the album,the bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

thebhoy wrote:
    you know as in the likes of, 'oh i saw the killers* last year and they were excellent, but sometime around when they started selling shedloads of albums i realised that they were actually crap'

just gettin absolutely sick and tired of these guys, you know who i'm talkin about.

I'm more sick of the ones who last year said ''oooh The Killers, who the f**k are they, they're obviously sh1te since I haven't heard of them'' and then a year on ''The Killers raaawkk!''

There are alot of ''indie snobs'' who find it fashionable to like only non mainstream acts and when they get success they stop listening to them. The best way to stop letting these types annoy you is simply to enjoy listening to what you like and stop worrying about other people's tastes. Who cares what someone listens to if its mainstream or non-mainstream... the music is what matters and if its good its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

The best way to stop letting these types annoy you is simply to enjoy listening to what you like and stop worrying about other people's tastes.

hit the nail on the head there......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

No, they don't
    Yeah it pisses me off a bit. I dont know, maybe they want to be part of Teh moozak 1337 so they can exchange smug looks at each other when they talk about bands no one has ever heard of. If anything they should be happy when a band hits the mainstream and be happy that a) the band get the recognition that they deserve and b) more people listen to the music.

Some people just want to feel "special" I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Of course, there's no quicker way to hate a band than to have their flawed music played constantly on the radio/tv, flaws that may have escaped your notice when you listened to them, perhaps, once a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I am a massive music snob
    I am very picky about my music
    But when I like a band I like them I dont care how much they sell
    same for bands I hate

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

No, they don't
    i hate it when people call themselves real music fans while listening to sh1te like the killers, bloc party, kaiser chiefs et al.

if you're a real music fan how about you listen to bands that arent on Q magazine's Best Bands of 2005 list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

i hate it when people call themselves real music fans while listening to sh1te like the killers, bloc party, kaiser chiefs et al.

if you're a real music fan how about you listen to bands that arent on Q magazine's Best Bands of 2005 list.
    How about I listen to whatever music I want, and dont simply stop doing so because theyve suddenly appeared in some magazine that Ive never read?

The people (read: you) who ignore a band simply because they are popular or critically acclaimed are as retarded as those buying britney spears records. Both sheep, but the former are more laughable because they delude themselves into thinking they are part of some kind of music inteligensia, when NME and Q have just as much influence on them as they do on the latter.

• Advertisement

No, they don't
    Exactly! I find alot of music snobs listen to all of todays so-called popular **** plus one or two old "Legitimate" band just to add a little weight to their preferances. These Legitimizer artists include - The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Thin Lizzy, U2, the Stones etc.

You know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Personally I judge bands by their music. That's how I decide if I like them or not would you believe :rolleyes:

I think it's terrible the way some people are stuck in their Genres too. They wont like to hear anything but metal etc. There are one particular group of people I know and I've been to a few parties with the group. Every party you are guaranteed to hear the same songs. Pantera - Walk, SOAD - Chop Suey and there are a few others too, but anything non Metal/Hard they will want to change and put Pantera back on. Gawd.. I mean I think Walk is good too but you get a bit sick of anything that's repeated (the situation is repeated all the time, same music, same people, bleugh).. What happens when I hook up my iRiver and put on Deep Forest (African tribal music) or a bit of scooter, or a bit of Perez Prado Mambo (all great party music:)) everyone goes "what's that ****... turn that **** off, the second it goes on just because they can't hear metal. Sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

thebhoy wrote:

the thing is the killers put on a great show last year and i bought their album after seeing them.its not the type of music i would normally listen to but the album is tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, real music fans don't annoy me, it's the people who listen to the same garbage pop music yet think it's "Alternative" just because they have guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

People like what they like for whatever reasons, if they act like a knob it's their own problem and has nothing to do with music. They can act the same way about movies, books, beers, etc. No type of music fan annoys me, I just wish people would be more tolerant of others' tastes.

And everyone should pimp good obscure bands so they can become good successful bands that don't pack it in before they release that masterpiece because no one bought the last album. Imagine if Undertow by Tool only sold 200 copies and they split? Or if Radiohead only got as far as The Bends? Of course pimping **** obscure bands just because they are obscure is a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I quite like Bloc Party and I did so before all the hype the others you mentioned are utter crap.

I dont read music magazines usaly as I find it impossible to find one that isnt either to poppy and bandwagon jumping or to pretentious and obscure. Foggy Notions was decent but there was only about 5 issues before it finished.

I like lots of music of different genres it just happens that some of the bands I like has sold nothing colpared to some of the succesful bands that I happen to dislike I dont dislike bands just becasue of their success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

No, real music fans don't annoy me, it's the people who listen to the same garbage pop music yet think it's "Alternative" just because they have guitars.

Excellent point, one that i raised to a guy at work who said he listened to "alternative, like foo fighters, audioslave and incubus." Thats not alternative, it is mainstream.

Another thing, U2 are pop music. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

The irony is that most of these people, 5-10 years from now, will end up being massive sellouts themselves, cutting short their hair and dressing like the average joe and acting in a way utterly indistiguishable from the guy in the next office cubicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

How about I listen to whatever music I want, and dont simply stop doing so because theyve suddenly appeared in some magazine that Ive never read?

The people (read: you) who ignore a band simply because they are popular or critically acclaimed are as retarded as those buying britney spears records. Both sheep, but the former are more laughable because they delude themselves into thinking they are part of some kind of music inteligensia, when NME and Q have just as much influence on them as they do on the latter.

I don't ignore "critically acclaimed by NME" bands just because they're popular and not obscure, I ignore them because chances are, they're going to be absolute muck. There is great music out there, you just won't find much of it in Q...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Pet wrote:
    There is great music out there, you just won't find much of it in Q...

You're right, it's all on brainwashed.com

Advertisement