Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do 'Real' Music fans annoy you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

And everyone should pimp good obscure bands so they can become good successful bands that don't pack it in before they release that masterpiece because no one bought the last album. Imagine if Undertow by Tool only sold 200 copies and they split? Or if Radiohead only got as far as The Bends?

you should have changed that to Pablo Honey. they should have stopped after ok comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They used to, but now they annoy everyone, so i think there brilliant...
    you should have changed that to Pablo Honey. they should have stopped after ok comp.

I was picking good albums by bands who have made great albums. Pablo Honey is neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

did you know i meant, "Or If Radiohead only got as far as Pablo honey". Seeing that pablo honey was crap as an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

John2 wrote:
    You're right, it's all on brainwashed.com

Interesting, first band I see, Anthony and the Johnsons, I've been listening to them lately, I saw them on Jools Holland and I was quite impressed. I was impressed with their music, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I hate you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

No, they don't
    cormie wrote:
    Personally I judge bands by their music. That's how I decide if I like them or not would you believe :rolleyes:

I think it's terrible the way some people are stuck in their Genres too. They wont like to hear anything but metal etc. There are one particular group of people I know and I've been to a few parties with the group. Every party you are guaranteed to hear the same songs. Pantera - Walk, SOAD - Chop Suey and there are a few others too, but anything non Metal/Hard they will want to change and put Pantera back on. Gawd.. I mean I think Walk is good too but you get a bit sick of anything that's repeated (the situation is repeated all the time, same music, same people, bleugh).. What happens when I hook up my iRiver and put on Deep Forest (African tribal music) or a bit of scooter, or a bit of Perez Prado Mambo (all great party music:)) everyone goes "what's that ****... turn that **** off, the second it goes on just because they can't hear metal. Sigh...

Yeah thats another thing that gets my goat something fierce! Close Minded Genre fans that call themselves music fans! You cant be a music fan, in my opinion, if you only listen to just Metal or just Pop you know? I have a diverse, eclectic taste in music. I listen to everything from Mozart to Motorhead. I listen to music from Musicals and Native American tribal music. I hate it when Im at a party, like you said, and I hear the same old **** over and again. Tis a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

No, they don't
    Very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I quite hate to cross-post, so I'll just link this, which states my opinion on the subject quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Doctor J wrote:
    I have yet to meet someone who isn't a music snob of some level.
    Steven wrote:
    Of course, there's no quicker way to hate a band than to have their flawed music played constantly on the radio/tv, flaws that may have escaped your notice when you listened to them, perhaps, once a day.

Quoted for truths.

• Advertisement

and Native American tribal music..

You can't beat the good oul tribal music, however, I've really only listened to the likes of Deep Forest. Could you recommend some more? Also, Deep Forest, as far as I know, are two DJs who are definitely not tribes men, the white skin gives it away:D If you have any recommendations, please share!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

I like alternative bands like Nickelback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

No, they don't
    No, real music fans don't annoy me, it's the people who listen to the same garbage pop music yet think it's "Alternative" just because they have guitars.

Spot on.

It's the people who actually think they're "special" because they listen to pop in disguise, one month it's snow patrol, the next month it's the killers and by the end of the year they'll have forgotten about all of them and moved on to the next trend in disguise.

I hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

No, they don't
    what DID happen to toploader? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

What happens when I hook up my iRiver and put on Deep Forest (African tribal music) or a bit of scooter, or a bit of Perez Prado Mambo

I can listen to a lot of music but to me scooter is not music, its an old man shouting stupid things over a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

weemcd wrote:
    what DID happen to toploader? :D

They split up
    It was one of the best days of my life

superconor wrote:
    I can listen to a lot of music but to me scooter is not music, its an old man shouting stupid things over a computer.

SIBERIA!!!!!!

Scooter is great for getting the body moving. Give it a shot, free house, "How much is the fish" at full volume, allot of room to jump up and down and run around the house. See how you like it:P

Back on the place no disgrace, bring it on down to the party place.. yeah yeah.. Dave.. Dave from Shefield. Lucky Ucky!!! I mean the thought that went into them lyrics. Just wait for the bass to hit and you'll see what I mean

Also, if you can, get Paul Van Dyk Live @ Mayday 2,000. It's a great set and will get you fit in no time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Maynard.

I dunno, maybe sum of these 'real' fan types do stop listening to bands because of their popularity, but for me its just quality of music really.. In refrence to the killers, I started listening to them long LONG before they got any way big, Im talking over a year at least.
    Soon I watched them start getting a little play on mtv2 late at night etc, and after awhile, I began growing tired of the same tracks, slowly they got even more and more popular getting Mtv play, I had stopped listening to them entirely by this stage to prevent myself developing a dislike for them, but they got even more popular, and thus people start talking to me about them, they get round the clock play on all the music channels, radio stations and even in shops..
    It wasnt that every1 liked them that got me it was just that I had been listening to them for too long, and just when I was getting little bored, they break thru and Im forced to listen to them and hav them shoved in my face. Now I cant stand hearing any of the singles, and the other tracks hav lost all appeal.
    The same thing happened with HiM, I had been listening to them for some time before Bam got involved and their popularity exploded, But I never got sick of HiM. I dont know if its because their music is more replayable, or that they simply had alot more albums before they broke..

In either case, I think the right level of popularity, or the Highest acheivable without losing face, is probably that of NiN, and altho not quite as well known, Tool, two of my favourite bands, well known, and yet you dont hear many people saying "I liked them years ago, they suck now..".

Ahem, anyways to answer the OP's question, yes, 'Real' music fans to annoy me, to a certain extent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

what about the other side of the coin?
    you spend your life follwing a little band around for years,then suddenly they become massive and cant a ticket to a concert cus suddenly all these "new" fans have appeared.happens in football all the time.
    sometimes i am a musical snob,but only cus i cant stand someone who has been listening to a band for 5 minutes telling me the delays sound very similar to the smashing pumpkins etc.
    *part time rant over*
    thats what happened to me with Green Day
    I loved them long before they released dookie .then they became huge and suddenly everyone loved them that happened for years then they died down. i still thought they were class. then comes american idiot and theres all these new guys again
    drives me up the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 McUdar

yeah but dude, i've always thought that the killers and snow patrol sucked....its not my scene at all....i can understand why girls like them, the whole emo thing but guys singing "somebody told me.....blah blah blah blah blah"........seriously....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

No, they don't
    :confused:
    cormie wrote:
    Personally I judge bands by their music. That's how I decide if I like them or not would you believe :rolleyes:

I think it's terrible the way some people are stuck in their Genres too. They wont like to hear anything but metal etc. There are one particular group of people I know and I've been to a few parties with the group. Every party you are guaranteed to hear the same songs. Pantera - Walk, SOAD - Chop Suey and there are a few others too, but anything non Metal/Hard they will want to change and put Pantera back on. Gawd.. I mean I think Walk is good too but you get a bit sick of anything that's repeated (the situation is repeated all the time, same music, same people, bleugh).. What happens when I hook up my iRiver and put on Deep Forest (African tribal music) or a bit of scooter, or a bit of Perez Prado Mambo (all great party music:)) everyone goes "what's that ****... turn that **** off, the second it goes on just because they can't hear metal. Sigh...

scooter makes music :eek: :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Scooter rule!!!

Reminds me of when I was 11 and all I listened to was hard house dance music

Aw thems were the days

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

No, they don't
    I quite hate to cross-post, so I'll just link this, which states my opinion on the subject quite well.

Karl Hungus has a highly complex cerebral cortex.
    I couldn't have said it better myself Karl.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, they don't
    Nightwish wrote:
    Scooter rule!!!

Reminds me of when I was 11 and all I listened to was hard house dance music

Aw thems were the days

*sigh*
    haha lol thanks for the memories...so many of my friends that like metal now were hardhouse dancers :) not like me,as my friend puts it i'm 'of pure race' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Why thank you. I wonder if anyone would have any counter arguements to that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, they don't
    i find your cerebral cortex to be lacking complexicity while i believe CerebralCortex could have said it better,counter arguement? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Not so much complex as well connected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think it's stupid to stop liking a band when they become mainstream, but sometimes, when a band breaks through, you hear them so much, you get tired of them.
    Though it is cool to see a band you like, become more popular. Better them, than some crap like a lot of new bands at the moment.

Advertisement