Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB repairman cometh!

• 14-07-2005 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Some 5 weeks after my initial email complaint to Irish Broadband sales rep. in Belfast and formal telephone complaint to Dublin two weeks ago we had the engineer return today.

This was the same guy who installed our 2Mb service in April. I remember well his smiling face as he ripped out our old Digiweb Satellite service and called it a lot of c**p. On his laptop he had a download speed of 1700 kbps which he proudly displayed to all our family, including West Highland terrier.

Today he spent two hours locked away in our study finally re-emerging with stories of new radio settings this and that. He tried to suggest that we hadn't our network card running at full speed and that we were sharing the connection with too many computers in the house (all were shut down!). Then he rambled on about contention of 8:1 and we should be happy if we got over 250. To cap it all he ran the test at www.irishisptest.com and it was even slower than when he came. He claimed he had been talking to some inner sanctum of network support in Dublin that the public don't know about.

Anyway as of now our download speed is 493 kbps and upload is 63.3 kbps. If we had stuck to Digiweb we would had similar speeds for less.

I set the terrier on him as he left. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

andmor wrote:
    I set the terrier on him as he left. :mad:

West Highland whitey's...vicious...hahaha!!! :D

And will he be making a return visit???

Do they still route their traffic down to Dublin or have they finally connected to the NTL infrastructure???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Will people never learn.. With all the posts on here complaining about them I really don't understand why anyone bothers getting it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well there are posts on this forum complaining about EVERY isp! This isn't exactly the best place to come to get an unbiased opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah but if you look at the complaints you'll find that it's generally

Eircom: pricing & line fails
    BT: billing/setup
    IBB: everything
    NTL: coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

beller b wrote:
    Will people never learn.. With all the posts on here complaining about them I really don't understand why anyone bothers getting it ...

Totally agree... but theres good news for us poor IBB users.

They have extended the support hours to include Weekends and bank holidays (10am - 4pm). that gives us even more opportunity to sit listening to the hold music for hours on end only to be told that theres not a problem, or some one will call you back, or theres a problem but it will be fixed when we upgrade in "2 weeks".

Still a bunch a cowboys........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

feck this - waiting so long for the page to download ,.. forgot what I was going to say. IBB !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if he says 8:1 contention, and you would be lucky to get 250K on 2MBit service then that basically would only happen if they have a 2MBit line shared with 8 users, which i think would be a little too stupid.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I must be one in a hundred... no problems so far with IBB other than one little five minute blip where everything went topsy-turvey.

Better than what I had from BT's trial. Every day, without fail... it would fail.

Heck, even my home network is now Wireless, after all the complaints I heard from friends with wireless. If you throw enough money at something it tends to work. My NIC and Router set me back €200, which I handed over with a little tear in the corner of my eye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Our problem is that we are in a broadband desert here in Donegal. It's either satellite which we tried last year with Digiweb or IBB through their northern operation (NTR Broadband) coming out of Strabane.

What really annoys us is that for the first month we were getting 1700 download speed and that since the end of May it has totally collapsed. There is nothing worse than having a reasonably good web browsing experience that then turns into crawling through treacle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Just been talking to sales girl in Belfast for NTR Broadband. Told her that after the engineer called the speeds were even worse and she told me that next week they are replacing the existing antenna with a wire gauze version for the half dozen of us here in East Donegal.

I have the West Highland terrier in waiting! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Exactly.... But you forgot Smart...Ignoring customers

Advertisement