Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OT:Ladbrokes Advice

• 14-07-2005 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

This is a bit off topic sorry but i do love the gg,s.

Anyway my friend saw a bet advertised in ladbrokes window.
    Liverpool fc v Tns .Liverpool half time /full time 16/1
    10 euro wins 160 euro.

Grand he puts the bet on 30 euro at 16/1 bet accepted.
    Next day he goes in big mistake trainnee girl took the bet.
    the odds should have being 1/16!!!
    He was duely given the one euro whatever cent.

I rang up the local manager all apoligses but basically tough.
    Just a mistake girl repramanded but no way the 16/1 price honoured.
    It was even the manager who wrote the price in window!!!
    It was their for two days,although slight amnisea,has set in about it.
    Can i do anthing about this!!!
    Am looking for good advice please.
    Thanks Decies
    ps looking forward to tramore festivel!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Was this in waterford?...the one in parnell street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

surely if the slip says 16/1 it has to be honoured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

Parnell street waterford is the one thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

If ladbrokes cant honour a bet .
    why would you put a bet on there.
    Anybody??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

As far as I was aware they do not have to honour this bet. In fact do bookies have to honour any bet? Is it a legally binding document?

I have heard of incidents like this happening before where a person did not get paid for bets in error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Palapable error rule. If a betting shop operator makes an error - outlandish in this case - the bet doesnt have to be honoured.

Its not a legally binding document and gambling debts are not recoverable by law.

Yes, it seems as if it was too good to be true, and it was. UNfortunately there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. The best thing that you could do would be to see what was the best price available for the bet and argue that you wouldnt have placed the bet there rather than Ladbrokes. In this case it would be worth 20 or 30 cent max.

You wont get 16/1 about a bet that was 1/16. That's unfortunately the way it works. The only surprising thing was that your friend didnt put more than 30 euro on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Morgans is correct, the bookmaker is covered by the Palpable Error in their rules, which you agree to every time you place a bet.

The exchanges are the only place you will get away with taking advantage of a mistake like that.

Advertisement