Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony nw-hd3

• 14-07-2005 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

Whats this like?Sont NW-HD3
    Is this any good?It claims to have a much longer battery life than an ipod?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

That wouldn't be hard! Ipods have a terrible battery life and most ppl buy em just cos they're trendy! Get yourself an iriver or creative zen and a pair for white earphones if ya wanna look cool! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

ipod looks fabulous but too big,but hd3 is much smaller and sounds better many would say. also better battery life. not as good as the hd1 surprisingsly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Oh,another question.What is atrac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

atrac is a bad thing, it is sonys compression standard and makes the music untransferable between units. actually one of the disadvantages of the sony line up is music being locked to individual players and being unable to transfer to other players.also an individual pc gets married to a particular hd1/hd3 and u cant load music from another pc afaik. i reakon go with an iriver or an ipod mini, because of sonys insistance on copyright protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that unit can play mp3's too, there is no need to convert them, now whether it's drag and drop is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

how about the nw-hd5?
    http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B000934N2O/Sony-NW-HD5-20GB-Network-Walkman/

anyone have experience with these? ive just ordered mine from amazon and i can't wait to get my hands on it.
    thats a bummer about the copyright protection.so does that mean i will have to use the same computer to download mp3s :confused: ?? there is no way to configure that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Beekay wrote:
    Whats this like?Sont NW-HD3
    Is this any good?It claims to have a much longer battery life than an ipod?

It does..theres a HD1, HD3 and now a HD5 which is the best one yet.
    Cremo wrote:
    that unit can play mp3's too, there is no need to convert them, now whether it's drag and drop is another thing.

The iPod isn't drag and drop...
    lomb wrote:
    atrac is a bad thing, it is sonys compression standard and makes the music untransferable between units. actually one of the disadvantages of the sony line up is music being locked to individual players and being unable to transfer to other players.also an individual pc gets married to a particular hd1/hd3 and u cant load music from another pc afaik. i reakon go with an iriver or an ipod mini, because of sonys insistance on copyright protection

The iTunes library is locked to a specific iPod and you can't copy songs from it to other players either.

how about the nw-hd5?
    http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B000934N2O/Sony-NW-HD5-20GB-Network-Walkman/

anyone have experience with these? ive just ordered mine from amazon and i can't wait to get my hands on it.
    thats a bummer about the copyright protection.so does that mean i will have to use the same computer to download mp3s :confused: ?? there is no way to configure that?

Same as an iPod. And like an iPod with iTunes, you simply copy your mp3s into iTunes, or in the Sony's case SonicStage (Sony equivilent of iTunes). Basically you need to keep a copy of your MP3's out of the Sony software so its not affected by the DRM. SonicStage it self its not all that great but you have to use it.

yeah i've heard a lot of bad things about sonicstage but apparently they keep updating it and it is supposed to be getting better.and there is that other thing about people complaining about how the sound is really low through the headphones because of eu regulations on volume limit? but it is tweakable im told :--o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

yeah i've heard a lot of bad things about sonicstage but apparently they keep updating it and it is supposed to be getting better.and there is that other thing about people complaining about how the sound is really low through the headphones because of eu regulations on volume limit? but it is tweakable im told :--o

Are you not worried about your hearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

If you need to know how to get info on removing the volume limiter on the HD5, that can be arranged...It's very simple really. Just a matter of accessing a hidden menu. Let me know and I'll post it.

• Advertisement

Are you not worried about your hearing?

i dont really listen to music too loud through headphones.. its just a bit annoying having a restriction on the volume, im sure people are responsible enough to observe safe volume levels...well most people anyway :p
    If you need to know how to get info on removing the volume limiter on the HD5, that can be arranged...It's very simple really. Just a matter of accessing a hidden menu. Let me know and I'll post it.

thanks! the minute it comes ill be online !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I have the HD3. Got it last September and I'v never had a problem with it.
    Battery life is excellent. I use it every day for long stretches at a time and I only need to charge it maybe once every two weeks.
    I don't mind the Sonic Stage software. It's easy to use and I'v never had problems with transferring mp3's to the player.
    The sound quality is great too.
    I'v never tried dragging and dropping files to it though.
    My only (minor) gripe with it is that you have to have the player plugged into the docking station to transfer files which can be annoying if you left the docking station at work/home.

i ended up getting it.Its working out well.i had a little prob with the Sonicstage 2.3,but i just replaced it with the much better 3.1 version.

I got it on sale in argos for 278euro reduced from 450 or sumtin like that.
    the sound is good on it imo.is there a limit on the volume in Hd3 aswell?
    if there is does anyone know how to unlock it?

i found out how to unlock it.

Does anyone Know what cable i can get to connect it to stereos etc.?
    And where i can get it?
    Are there any kind of plastic pouch things that they have for ipod for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Cable you would need is a stereo minijack (3.5mm) to two phono's (RCA) generally speaking though it would depend on the inputs of your stereo. For the most part the inputs would be Phono.

Here is a pic of what you need, which you can get in Peats, Maplins, Dixons or anywhere like that.
    31700i0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Beekay wrote:
    i found out how to unlock it.

Does anyone Know what cable i can get to connect it to stereos etc.?
    And where i can get it?
    Are there any kind of plastic pouch things that they have for ipod for this?

They make a silicopne skin for the HD-5 so I imagine there is one available for the hD-3 too...eBay is a good place to try, if not buy...

Advertisement