Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti virus off says BF2 manual.

Options
  • 14-07-2005 8:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I notice on the BF2 manual they advise turning off your anti virus for best possible BF2 performance.
    Has anyone actually done this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dcully wrote:
    I notice on the BF2 manual they advise turning off your anti virus for best possible BF2 performance.
    Has anyone actually done this?

Shouldnt need to if you have 512mb ram or higher.

bf2process.JPG

Meant to post that other day for someone on Computers board.
    Bf2 rises to 800k usage when full screen (theres a round running atm i just Alt tabbed out to take pic) Firefox to 12 when its full screen down to 2k when minimized takes a while to lower tho. Avgcc and 2 other AVG processes is my Anti Virus Avg Free
    Sygate is my firewall SMC process. And the others obvious, 1.5GB ram in my pc.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

I nearly always turn mine off Cully, i have tested it a few times with AntiVirus enabled and i havent noticed any difference. I tend to forget to re-activate it though, and thats when the problems start :)
    What program you using? Ive been told by a few people that norton slows down some games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Norton slow's everything down :) . I leave my NOD32 AV on and notice no problems

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I've always turned anti-virus off for online games and though that everyone did for all games, not just BF2 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I use AVG anti virus Kinky.
    Yeah Kdjac im aware of the 512mb being enough etc ,i was just wondering if anyone bothered is all :)
    How safe is it to game online with anti virus turned off then?
    Is AV software only needed when surfing then?
    Ill be honest i asumed once connected to the net regardless of browsers or games open i was at risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I leave it (whichever anti-virus app I use) on at all times. Basiclly, cos a loss of a few ping, and the loss of a my data, the data takes priorty.

Dcully wrote:
    Ill be honest i asumed once connected to the net regardless of browsers or games open i was at risk?

Only while surfing. You don't need it to be actively scanning your hard drive if you're just connected to EA games servers and not downloading/surfing at the same time.

What you would need to keep up though is a firewall while playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrm av software larf, just don't be downloading virus ridden apps from da interweb n ye'll be grand ;)

hrm av software larf, just don't be downloading virus ridden apps from da interweb n ye'll be grand

hmmmmm thats why the last time i reformatted and installed windows while dloading AVG to install i was hit by a trojan horse within minutes of going online :(
    This time round i installed AVG first from cd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Ponster wrote:
    Only while surfing. You don't need it to be actively scanning your hard drive if you're just connected to EA games servers and not downloading/surfing at the same time.

What you would need to keep up though is a firewall while playing.

yeah, and taking the keys out of your car will make it impossible for people to steal it.

get your facts right before you comment on something like that

next you will be saying that the safest PCs in the world are the gaming PCs

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote:
    hmmmmm thats why the last time i reformatted and installed windows while dloading AVG to install i was hit by a trojan horse within minutes of going online :(
    you do know that the whole thing with 'Trojen Horse' 's is that you have to run them ye?
    There have been a few windows exploits that can let people remotely install back door stuff, but if ye keep yer windows up to date its rare they will get in(nearly every major windows venurbility in recent times thats cause problems had been patched by ms weeks in advance just no one updates often..)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Serenity wrote:
    nearly every major windows venurbility in recent times thats cause problems had been patched by ms weeks in advance just no one updates often..
    Usually its about a week after the virus hits the MS servers, that MS do something about it. Sometimes longer, tho.

Some people don't have auto-update on, as it sometimes effects their programs in a bad way (with a company with 500+ employee's, this be a bad idea).

Also, this is how most virus's are written for MS:

A hole is found by a security geek.
    They tell MS.
    One month goes by, with no patch for it.
    They put it on some forum.
    Someone see's the hole, and makes a virus to exploit it.
    It effects a few dozen machine's.
    MS releases a patch.

hrmm i seem to recall blaster was patched 2 weeks before it was released no?

you do know that the whole thing with 'Trojen Horse' 's is that you have to run them ye?

My system was fully up to date,as was all my security software plus i didnt run anything i dont run normally.
    Im very warey and never run anything im not sure about.
    I download feck all either tbh,only gone through 3 GB in past two months of a 16gb monthly cap with eircom 2mb line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dane

I Allways leave my AV, Firewall & Spywareguard running no matter what a program or game tells me to do :)

Gilgamesh wrote:
    get your facts right before you comment on something like that

Explain the "facts" to us then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Right, your average anti-virus system has something that is referred to as an On-Access Scanner.
    What this will do is scan ANY file in use unless it is set in the exceptions. This includes temp files created by games. So when they say to turn it off they dont mean to free up memory and processor (which helps anyway) it is mainly to stop every file being scanned as it either changes, is created or accessed by a program. This will cause a slowdown of the program.

the_syco wrote:
    Usually its about a week after the virus hits the MS servers, that MS do something about it. Sometimes longer, tho.

Some people don't have auto-update on, as it sometimes effects their programs in a bad way (with a company with 500+ employee's, this be a bad idea).

Also, this is how most virus's are written for MS:

A hole is found by a security geek.
    They tell MS.
    One month goes by, with no patch for it.
    They put it on some forum.
    Someone see's the hole, and makes a virus to exploit it.
    It effects a few dozen machine's.
    MS releases a patch.

You may need to provide examples of that. I was at a security expo recently and a chart was provided showing that on average the security vulnerability was patched WELL before it became an issue. Only two were patched one week before. But no patches were released after a virus had been found.

Dcully wrote:

This was due to a security vulnerability, which a virus took advantage of. An up to date system and a well configured firewall are enough to secure your machine if it is idle on the internet. Prevention is better than cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

the only game i turn off antivirus and firewall for is bf2, and thats ONLY when im offline, and even then the performance gain is marginal, anyone think it's a bit irresponsible of ea to put that in the manual?

• Advertisement
Advertisement