Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogan - HBK storyline

• 14-07-2005 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

What do people reckon the storyline of this feud will be? HBK gave no real indication of his motives on Pipers Pit on Raw, so how do people see this playing out?

IMO, there are 2 scaenarios.

1. Probably the obvious one. HBK was tired of hearing Hogan chants before, during and after both times they tagged with each other. He is after all the Main Event. He is The Icon etc, and its about time the fans acknowledged that.

or

2. The more exciting one, and less contrived. HBK is bitter with Hogan for stealing his thunder in the 90s. Hogan was leader of nWo, while Shawn was leader of DX, arguably sports entertainments most dominant stables in history.

Anyone willing to try a third possiblility?

Plus, who will 'go over' in this? My prediction is HBK beats Hogan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it will be like scenario 1. Michaels needs all the attention, he's the showstopper etc and he couldn't stand the fact that Hogan took his spotlight.

I think Michaels will win and it will most likely happen due to interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Whatever happens I hope it will be one match and one match only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

wow, Imagine DX vs. nWo!! that would be nifty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 corpus

Bottom line the two have never faced each other in a singles match, WWE sees an opportunity here as these two are ICON'S in the wrestling world. What we have here is and almost another ICON vs ICON match like when Hogan Faced the Rock at Mania 18.

after this match we might get to see HBK shake Hogan's hand, making him face again.

So the story behind this could be HBK is the show stopa, and Hogan was taking all his limelight, and good old HBK did what he thinks is best for him, SuperKicking Hogan out of his boots!

Tell me who didn't see this one coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

with HHH out for a bit is a DX return so unlikely?

if Xpac can beat Chyna off (that can be taken two ways!! :)) long enough it may be on the cards non!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I think Michaels will win and it will most likely happen due to interference.

yeah what odds on a Triple H run in? Then the game and HBK start up a stable not exactly like, but not to dissimilar, to DX..

Roar wrote:
    yeah what odds on a Triple H run in? Then the game and HBK start up a stable not exactly like, but not to dissimilar, to DX..

Well it's not impossible as apparently they're trying to freshen up Triple H's character and a revival of DX would be one way to do it.

I don't think Triple H would go for that though as I think he will be after the WWE title when he comes back. I think a run in could happen from Piper like WM19 but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how about Ultimate Warrior making it his long anticipated entrance - that would be a showstopping moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'm kinda hoping this ends up with HBK beating Hogan so badly that he has to be put into a nursing home (the one in Swords looks good).

We could then be treated to vignettes of Hogan being fed his mush while watching telly bingo.

I can see it now 'Whatcha gonna do when Hulk Hogan loses control of his bowels on you!' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Seems like HBK is only fighting people that will give great matches lately like Angle, Shelton Benjamin, Edge etc. Hopefully this will be no different
    I actually think Hogan will win seen as it's his "last match".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

DX reformed ... I doubt there's any chance of the other members returning to wwe anytime soon, a new age outlaws reunion looks imminent in nwatna, Xpac isn't doing so badly there on his own either, and lets face it, Chyna's hardly gonna be brought back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rolo feen

all i hope is that this fued serves it purpose in a short space of time, and that once it's over with - that it will definitively be hulk hogan's last wrestling match ever.

i'm sick of him returning every so often. he's done.
    just let him accept it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Tauren wrote:
    how about Ultimate Warrior making it his long anticipated entrance - that would be a showstopping moment!

That's a good one, a sermon from the completly crazy Jim Hellwig would finish RAW once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i think either way they will both hug and raise each others arm at the end of the match...hope hbk wins he's the best ever hands down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

for crying out loud, Hogan is still in the WWE? I havent seen it in a while but i wasnt Hogan this masked character or something for a while, why do they keep him on the show at all, are they that desperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

he brings in the fans i think the retro thing that the wwe have goin on is magic... all the old characters are the best it got very real there the past few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

jcoote wrote:
    he brings in the fans i think the retro thing that the wwe have goin on is magic... all the old characters are the best it got very real there the past few years

Hulkamania is dead, Hogan is an old man and should realise it, the sooner WWE mrealise that the better. Give the new guys the breaks they deserve, leave the past in the past.

jongore wrote:
    Hulkamania is dead,

Yeah it sure seemed like that at this year's Wrestlemania. :rolleyes:
    jongore wrote:
    Hogan is an old man and should realise it,

What makes you think he doesn't?
    jongore wrote:
    the sooner WWE mrealise that the better. Give the new guys the breaks they deserve, leave the past in the past.

The new guys get breaks from the older guys. It's good for young talent to be around the veterans.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

that i have to agree with.
    But working with people as old as hogan there are diffrences because of the age gap such as the way wrestling holds are done cause they changed over the last 10 years and young guys are forced to do there moves diffrent becaus of some old git in the ring wants to make a comeback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

the only reason he is there is to pimp his new tv show, hogan knows best.
    season 2 of his show (if there is a second season) will most likely have this match in it and will be some free advertising for vince.
    hogan will win the match because he is pushing the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i just find it hillarious how a leg drop can win Hogan a match lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

cos he bounces off the ropes first :D its all in the ropes

Kio wrote:
    that i have to agree with.
    But working with people as old as hogan there are diffrences because of the age gap such as the way wrestling holds are done cause they changed over the last 10 years and young guys are forced to do there moves diffrent becaus of some old git in the ring wants to make a comeback?

In fairness to Hogan, at least his wrestling style is not wreckless. One of the things Spike Dudley mentioned after being released was that he was glad he wouldn't have to risk injury getting into the ring with guys who work too stiff. Look at Chris Masters. He injured Steven Richards on two separate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

I hope this really is the end of Hogan, as a fan i think he looks old & useless in the ring & shoud retire with dignity if it's not already to late 4 that.
    I do hope he wins the match, as i think Michaels isn't fit enough to lace his boots.
    As for a DX refromation, they tried it a few years ago & thankgod it was shortlived cos it was very poor.
    I would love to c the return of the Ultimate Warrior 1 more time, altough if he can't move any better than Hogan it's probably best that he stays away.
    A return of the New Age Outlaws might be fun too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

gdez wrote:
    i think Michaels isn't fit enough to lace his boots..

Is that an attempt at humour?
    I've loved watching Hogan for close to 16 years but to say Michaels can't lace his boots is baffling. There have been times when I was nt his bigggest fan but inside the ring he has had and currently still has very few equals. Pop in a random ppv dvd or tape from the last 17 years if you dont beleive me.

I've seen Hundreds of Shawn Michaels matches, from when he started in WWF to the present. I have never been a big fan of Michaels, always found it baffling that they had great champions like Hogan, Warrior, Flair, Bret Hart & the undertaker, and then Michaels becomes champion. I never bought that at all, i never felt he paid his dues.
    Good Tag Team Wrestler, but never good enough to be champion in my eye.
    Particularly when there has been many great wrestlers before him that haven't been champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

As a huge Bret fan, i should hate HBK, but come on, in terms of an in ring performer and charisma on the mic, he's right up there with the best.
    No one will ever be as famous as Hogan, but Micheal's place in the Hall of Fame is as well earned as anyone else mentioned, Flair, Taker, whoever.
    And he's putting in the most quality matches at the age he is now than anyone else did i that age.

gdez wrote:
    I've seen Hundreds of Shawn Michaels matches, from when he started in WWF to the present. I have never been a big fan of Michaels, always found it baffling that they had great champions like Hogan, Warrior, Flair, Bret Hart & the undertaker, and then Michaels becomes champion. I never bought that at all, i never felt he paid his dues.
    Particularly when there has been many great wrestlers before him that haven't been champion.
    Im shaking my head. How anyone could question his ability after all these years is beyond me. Geez rememeber Taboo Tuesday against Triple H. The guy could barely walk and he had a heluva match with drama and emotion that guys with 2 legs could ever manage. But the guys record speaks for itself and surely more than a decade of great matches whether you like him or you don't means that he's paid his dues along time ago.
    So pop in your Ultimate Warrior v Rick Rude tape from summerslam. It's not bad. The entrances is the most entertaining bit(Look out for the picture of Warrior on Rudes ass) It'll be a solid match. Ill take HBK v Razor at WM10, or HBK vs Shelton from raw, or HBK against triple H at summerslam or HBK against Double J at In your house or for fec sake even HBK vs Diesal at In your house over it any day. The list is endless. Just like Bret, Angle, Flair etc.. a wrestling ledgend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

gdez wrote:
    i never felt he paid his dues.

:D Post of the year there! HBK, not paying his dues? You are having a laugh right?

The fact that he has put on consistant good matcches for over a decade, that fact that he will put people over when it really matters, and the fact that even though he is MR Wrestlemania, he is WMs most defeated wrestler in history, and he hasn't paid his dues?

He came in as a tag wrestler, moved out to be a singles wrestler, as the most hated heel of his time, went throught he IC division with some legendary matches with Razor Ramon, Owen Hart etc, moved onto the WWF Champion in one of the all time greatest matches, led WWFs best ever stable in DX, nearly had to retire with a back injury, returning and igniting a top class feud with HHH, and even though he ended up losing the feud, he still always looked strong. Not to mention his match of the year candidate with Angle at WM21.

Not only has he paid his dues, he has paid interest on them.

• Advertisement

First of all that match against Kurt angle, was made by Kurt angle.
    Secondly i thought that fued with HHH a few years ago was poor at best, & DX was just pure annoying.
    Come on "I'm a sexy boy", what champion can ever take that seriously.

gdez wrote:
    First of all that match against Kurt angle, was made by Kurt angle.
    Secondly i thought that fued with HHH a few years ago was poor at best, & DX was just pure annoying.
    Come on "I'm a sexy boy", what champion can ever take that seriously.

Angle may have, may have, edged it in terms of performance, but come on, HBK was awesome.

His feud with HHH did go on a bit, perhaps largely because of who HHH is and the fact HBK is one of his best mates, but seriously, his performance in the non sanctioned match at Summerslam, for a guy returning from a 4 year back injury, was spectacular.

And if you found the DX gimmick annoying, fair enough, but personally I thought it was one of the best ideas WWE ever had, certainly the best faction ever (NWO and Horsemen included).And seeing the two founder members finally go at it, all be it 5 years after they split up. was big business.

And the whole "Sexy Boy" thing started back in the early 90's, when nearly everyone had a cheesy/ tongue in cheek gimmick, certainly the pretty boys heels, so you weren’t really meant to take it seriously, you were meant to find it funny. But Michael's ability over the years has more than made up for it, and he only uses it now as his entrance music because it's so recognizable and nostalgic, much like "Real American”. But personally, I've always found it hilarious and I’d be gutted if he changed it.

Seems to me you just don't like the character of the Heartbreak Kid for whatever reason (big Bret fan?), which is fair enough. But don't deny the guy's ability, star power and hard work the last 17 years because of it

I'd never deny his hard work, or his in ring ability & you have made some valid points as have the other guys. And your right i don't like him, but my main point is that i never bought him as world champion or thought him capable of beating the people he beat to become champion.
    I have to say that i'm very surprised your defending him so much as a Bret Hart fan & all, since Michaels played a big part in helping Vince Mcmahon screw Bret out of the title & finish his WWF career.

gdez wrote:
    I'd never deny his hard work, or his in ring ability & you have made some valid points as have the other guys. And your right i don't like him, but my main point is that i never bought him as world champion or thought him capable of beating the people he beat to become champion.
    I have to say that i'm very surprised your defending him so much as a Bret Hart fan & all, since Michaels played a big part in helping Vince Mcmahon screw Bret out of the title & finish his WWF career.

My favourite wrestler is Bret Hart too. Was Shawn Michales a prick for doing that to Bret at Montreal and for not jobbing at wrestlemania 13? I think so. BUT that does n't take away from the fact that and Im not gonna list them again the dozens heck hundreads of great matches he's entertained me with over the last 15 years.

By the way it will be 8 years this November. And I thought I held a grudge.

I wouldn't say i held a grudge at all, i wasn't that big of a Bret Hart fan but i certainly respected him as a Champion.
    Again i never said that Shawn Michaels wasn't a good entertainer, my whole point has been that he never should have gone further than being an IC Champion.

Okay then, why?

What did others who went all the way to WWF/E champ do, which made them so much more deserving? How were their dues paid, and Shawns not?

• Advertisement

Bigger, stronger, better moves.

Such as? Still waiting for a real reason (s).

I'm not too crazy about Shawn Michael's attitude in the business such as refusing to lose to Bret Hart at WM13 and instead forfeiting the title on Raw, his part in the Montreal screwjob, his part in the Clique as well as him apparently being reluctant to lose to Austin at WM14 until Taker threatened to whoop his a*s if he didn't. With all that being said though, his in-ring ability is brilliant and he never disappoints when in the ring.

He's definitely a future Hall of Famer in my book.

gdez wrote:

Well, as Vince135792003 said, it's nearly 8 years ago, so I’ve lightened up a bit since then (believe me, if you'd asked my opinion of HBK 8 years ago, you'd have got a lot of obscenities).
    And I only defended him in terms of his talent, as far as Montreal goes, he has no defense.
    But the fact remains his ability more than warrants him being a world champion, even if he does appear to be a real life jacka$$.
    I think Austin summed Michaels up best, at the press conference before WM 14, when he said professionally, HBK is one of the best...personally, he's a piece of thrash ( or something like that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

kevin nash's opinion on the whole thing

http://www.wwe.com/shows/summerslam/matches/944582/nash

Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan are two of the most famous names in WWE history. Up until now, their paths have never really crossed. Hulkamania was born in 1984 and was running wild in WWE through the early 1990s. Once Hogan left for WCW, HBK began his rise to dominance in the singles ranks, accumulating one of the most impressive resumes in WWE history.

Former WWE Champion Kevin Nash (aka Diesel) has been linked to both The Icon and The Legend throughout his career. As a result, there’s probably no other wrestler alive today that can compare the two Superstars better than Nash. WWE.com was able to catch up with Nash recently to talk about the upcoming battle.

WWE.com: You have been closely linked to both Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan during your career. How would you compare the two experiences?
    Kevin Nash: Working with both were real highlights of my career. Coming in with Shawn was basically the origin of my WWE career. And Hulk was actually there when I came in for a short time, and then of course the nWo was a huge highlight of my career. Hulk played a big part of that. Both of those guys were very instrumental in the success of my career. It was kind of like your first kiss with Shawn. And then Hulk was later on in my career after I had success, so it was a completely different experience entirely. Shawn and I traveled every day for three years night in and night out, 365 days a year. I learned the business from Shawn and Scott (Hall). I took what I learned from them and was able to help create what we did in Atlanta (WCW).

WWE.com: Did Shawn ever talk to you about Hogan holding him back in the late 1980s – early 1990s?
    Nash: No, not really. When we got in there it was pretty much a big man territory. I think that’s one of the reasons Shawn brought me in. He brought in the biggest heel he could to get heat on, so at least they’d (the bigger wrestlers) work with me.
    WWE.com: This week on RAW, Shawn said that the old HBK was back. Do you believe that Shawn is capable of truly bringing the old HBK back?
    Nash: To me, he’s always been able to shift gears. He’s always been able to buzzsaw somebody. I just don’t think he’s going to compromise his beliefs that he presently has for the betterment of a SummerSlam match. I think this match is much like The Rock vs. Hogan at WrestleMania (X8). You won’t hate either of them more than the other. I know that I’ll watch it because it’s a match I haven’t seen. They’re saying it’s the Icon vs. the Legend, and that’s what it is. It’s something we haven’t seen before. The psychology of who’s heel and who’s babyface doesn’t’ really matter. It’s just two great performers – one has had 25, 30 years and one has had 21, 22 great years, and it’s a match that’s never happened. It’s the old Pro Wrestling Illustrated Dream Match – the computer match – but we actually get to see it.

WWE.com: You touched on it already, but can you elaborate on whether or not you think Shawn’s beliefs would hinder the old HBK from coming back?
    Nash: I just don’t think, in talking to him the last couple of weeks, that he feels he needs that. I think that the really successful people in our business have been able to pull something out that’s a real personality trait. And that’s not a real personality trait he has anymore. He won’t be raunchy, but I’m sure he can create violence. I watch the shows occasionally, still, and there’s not a whole lot of guys that create violence. And plus Shawn’s great anyways. Shawn’s not going to not have a great performance.

WWE.com: What do you think we can expect from this match?
    Nash: I just pray the young guys sit around the monitors and keep their mouths shut and watch how it’s done. If they want to see how to work and not do high spots and Chinese Firedrill and just want to see how it’s done – sit down and watch Shakespeare.

WWE.com: Is there anything in particular that you are looking most forward to in this match?
    Nash: I’m looking forward to the finish. With the two huge egos going into this, I want to see how things pan out. That to me will be incredibly interesting.

• Advertisement

Just gettting back to the whole issue at hand rather than squabble over peoples opinions weither they like Michaels or not.
    I was thinking with all the rumours that Bret Hart is returning that it would be great if he came out during the Hogan-HBK match at SS, beat the living crap out of michaels, put him in the Sharp Shooter & help Hogan win the match.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement