Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England world cup 22

• 14-07-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Seeing as Im bored. I was going to do the Irish one but then I realised that about 19 of the places are certainties due to Kerr's consistency of selection and a lack of talent (unfortunately). This should be more though provoking.

Robinson, James

G Neville, A Cole, Bridge, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carragher, Brown

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Wright-Philips, Carrick, J Cole, Downing, Jenas

Owen, Rooney, Smith, Crouch, A Johnsen, Defoe

Am I missing anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think your jumping the gun a bit with Johnson. So far, hes still a first division player, which will make it fairly hard for Sven to justify a place for him. Plus the fact that so far hes a one season wonder, he'd have to at least score as many goals again this season to be in with a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't forget the "New Sensation for World Cup" player who'll be lauded by the tabloids and who Sven takes with him thus leaving behind a player who'd do better as new star gets shown up for being the "promising younster" we all knew him to be by German/Argentinian/French/Itailian/etc midfield.

Mike.

Owen Hargreaves is usually guarenteed a place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Personally I dont rate Hargreaves in the slightest.

As regards Johnsen, obviously he needs another good season but if I had to pick the squad today Id definitely have him.

Personally I dont rate Hargreaves in the slightest.

I wasnt saying I like him, dont get me wrong on that. Its just that Sven seems to have a hard on for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

You need another keeper. Sven brought three to WC02 and EC04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Robinson, James, Kirkland

G Neville, A Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Campbell, Brown, Bridge

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Wright-Philips, Parker, J Cole, Richardson,

Owen, Rooney, Smith, Beattie,

I know I'd shock people with the inclusion of Richardson, Parker, Woodgate, Beattie
    Parker I think will have an amazing season next year, desperate to show his worth.
    Woodgate is a world class player, and will do great next next year at Real.
    Beattie I think could be Everton's talisman and I can see him getting 15+ goals next year. This guy has bags and bags of wasted potential, so maybe he will finally show it.

Jivin, btw you have 24
    And Richardson, I feel this guy is gona break into either Uniteds first team next year, in which case he'll get on just cause he plays at United and Sven's a wuss, or else at West Brom, where he will continue to play very well.

PHB wrote:
    Robinson, James, Kirkland

G Neville, A Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Campbell, Brown, Bridge

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Wright-Philips, Parker, J Cole, Richardson,

Owen, Rooney, Smith, Beattie,

I know I'd shock people with the inclusion of Richardson, Parker, Woodgate, Beattie
    Parker I think will have an amazing season next year, desperate to show his worth.
    Woodgate is a world class player, and will do great next next year at Real.
    Beattie I think could be Everton's talisman and I can see him getting 15+ goals next year. This guy has bags and bags of wasted potential, so maybe he will finally show it.

Jivin, btw you have 24
    And Richardson, I feel this guy is gona break into either Uniteds first team next year, in which case he'll get on just cause he plays at United and Sven's a wuss, or else at West Brom, where he will continue to play very well.

Carragher?

Nope tbh, the reason why is.

Four central defender slots up for grabs:

Ferdinand will walk into it, whether people like it or not
    Terry is the same
    Campbell is the same
    Those three are set in stone by Sven, so its up to last place

Carragher vs. Woodgate vs. King.

I think King won't get in just cause hes at Spurs, and unless they have an amazing season, he won't get a look in.
    Carragher is a Terry/Campbell style defender, his game based on utter utter conviction.
    Woodgate is like Rio, more of a reader and almost apathetic about the game.
    Besides style of play, Woodgate imo is a better player than Carragher, and next season at Real Madrid he will have the chance to show it.
    This guy was quality at Newcastle when he wasn't injured, and if he can go uninjured the entire season, he will get a look in.

Brown is backup for Neville
    Bridge is backup for Cole

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'll be amazed if Richardson gets in the world cup squad. He's had a good loan spell at WBA, but I can't see him being good enough for anything more than a mid level premiership team, let alone England. Downing or Hargreaves will take his place.

Oh, and Woodgate is a tremendous player. If he stays injury free at Real next year, he could be pushing for a starting place. I would have thought Parker would have pushed for a place if he had joined any team other than Newcastle, but with Souey as his manager i'm not so sure. I really have to question Parker's career choices by his last 2 moves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Woodgate will be doing well to play 5 consecutive games for the rest of his career at this stage. He's still injured and won't be going on tour with Madrid.

I wouldn't be Ledley King's biggest fan but I wouldn't be the right person to make a judgement on him.

PHB wrote:
    Jivin, btw you have 24
    Oops! Apologies, cut Defoe and Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

the only reason woodgate isnt gone to Asia with Madrid is that he needs to work on his fitness more than anything. a mate of mine is in Madrid for the summer and he has been hanging round with a few staunch supporters.

apparently he is just staying in spain to do fitness and stamina training instead of flying out to asia. so i hear he is fully fit now. for how long though?

Thing is Jivin, you really can't cut Brown.
    You need cover for every place, so essentially you need:

3 GK's
    4 CB's
    2 LB's
    2 RB's
    3 CM's
    3 Wingers
    1 CM/Winger
    4 Strikers

If Neville was injured, they'd have to push out a CB which they really don't have anyone that is particuarly versitile in that regard.
    In midfield people ar emuch more versitile, but at the back, Englands players are very set in stone. That said, Neville doesn't get injured often

PHB wrote:
    Thing is Jivin, you really can't cut Brown.
    You need cover for every place, so essentially you need:

3 GK's
    4 CB's
    2 LB's
    2 RB's
    3 CM's
    3 Wingers
    1 CM/Winger
    4 Strikers

If Neville was injured, they'd have to push out a CB which they really don't have anyone that is particuarly versitile in that regard.
    In midfield people ar emuch more versitile, but at the back, Englands players are very set in stone. That said, Neville doesn't get injured often
    I think the WC squad actually can have 23 in it provided there are 3 keepers.

As regards Brown, he is a CB too. Carragher can play at RB and Id have him as my back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Robinson, James, Kirkkland.

Neville, Brown, Carragher, Ferdinand, Terry, Campbel, Cole, Bridge.

Beckham, SWP, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Downing, Jenas, Carrick.

Owen, Rooney, Defoe, Not sure about 4th striker. anyone of Crouch, Beattie, Smith, Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm sorry, have we had a fast forward in time while I was asleep? What makes you think England are even going to qualify?? It's hardly all done and dusted.

It really really is:

England choke in big games, not small ones.
    1 Poland 7 6 0 1 22 5 17 18
    2 England 6 5 1 0 13 3 10 16
    3 Austria 6 3 2 1 11 8 3 11
    4 Northern Ireland 6 0 3 3 5 13 -8 3
    5 Wales 6 0 2 4 5 11 -6 2
    6 Azerbaijan 7 0 2 5 1 17 -16 2

They are going to quality top of the group without question imo, and if not, they'll get in on points totals

PHB wrote:

Thats where I was thinking it could be good to have Carragher along. Not only is he a top quality centre half but he can also play right or left full which would give good cover and might alow Sven to have an extra attacking option.

I didn't realise carragher has played right back, thought he was an out and out centre back.
    In that case, I'd replace Brown with him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm sorry, have we had a fast forward in time while I was asleep? What makes you think England are even going to qualify?? It's hardly all done and dusted.

Agreed. I think you are all jumping the gun a bit here they still have to qualify so all this is irrelevant until they do.

I dont agree that they are definite to qualify although I would put them as favourites but you never know what could happen.

On a side note Woodgate is screwed he wont make the squad because I dont think he will ever get a good run again without being injured. its sad to say because he was a top player

PHB wrote:
    I didn't realise carragher has played right back, thought he was an out and out centre back.
    In that case, I'd replace Brown with him

Yeah when the Hyypia & Honchoz show was going on he had to play on the right and also covered the left. Bit like Gallas with Chelsea, best position is the middle but has been adapted into a right and/or left full

Kingp35 wrote:
    Agreed. I think you are all jumping the gun a bit here they still have to qualify so all this is irrelevant until they do.

I dont agree that they are definite to qualify although I would put them as favourites but you never know what could happen.

On a side note Woodgate is screwed he wont make the squad because I dont think he will ever get a good run again without being injured. its sad to say because he was a top player

England will qualify easily. Its not like us and other smaller nations that reallyfeel a couple of injuries to first teamers, they have a massive pool of players capable of winning that group or qualifying at the very least. It would take a fairly serious outbreak of the plague to stop England qualifying or having a good enough squad to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

GK : Robinson (James, Green)

Def: G.Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A.Cole (Carragher, Bridge, Woodgate)

Mid: Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, J.Cole (Parker, Downing, SWP, Hargreaves, Jenas)

FW: Owen, Rooney (Defoe, Smith)

Thats how i reckon they will go. Still, like Mike65 said, if some one english player (think crouch, downing, richardson, etc) has an amazing season, the tabloids will go mad on have him included.

Its a bit premature to be talking about it, but really england are in no danger of not qualifying (though it would be rather amusing if they threw it away). They will cruise through to the WC, cruise through the group stages and then choke big time in the 2nd round.

Advertisement