Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow connection between win2k and linux

• 02-07-2001 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

hard to say where this would fit but it seems to be a networking issue more than anything else.

I'm getting really really slow connections between a win2k pro machine and a box running suse linux 7.1 on a 10mbit network. HTML pages hosted on the linux machine take ages to download and time out mostly. mp3s etc. just wont play at all, usually crashing the the player in the process (this is through a samba share)

Now a win98 machine on the same network has no trouble transferring data from either of the machines, conversely the 2k box pulls files extremely fast off the 98 machine.

odd one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    hard to say where this would fit but it seems to be a networking issue more than anything else.

I'm getting really really slow connections between a win2k pro machine and a box running suse linux 7.1 on a 10mbit network. HTML pages hosted on the linux machine take ages to download and time out mostly. mp3s etc. just wont play at all, usually crashing the the player in the process (this is through a samba share)

Now a win98 machine on the same network has no trouble transferring data from either of the machines, conversely the 2k box pulls files extremely fast off the 98 machine.

odd one.
    </font>

Are you using the machine name to connect or the IP address. It could be timing out looking for a DNS server and then trying a broadcast??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

both. Theres no DNS enabled afaik.

The problem seems to be inbound tcp/ip from the linux box to the win2k box. Outbound tcp/ip is perfect.

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 02-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    both. Theres no DNS enabled afaik.

The problem seems to be inbound tcp/ip from the linux box to the win2k box. Outbound tcp/ip is perfect.
    </font>

Try and ftp from the w2k box to the linux box and see what rate you get.

(also check the cables, hub etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

In these sort of occasions tcpdump can be a great friend.
    Run tcpdump on the limux machine and try connecting to it in different ways, ftp, telnet, http...
    See if you can spot ane odd packets, ICMP redirect and the like.

Another thing might be 10/100 negosiation between the linux box and the switch, if they are both auto you might
    want to try forcing either 10 or 100 on both
    the switch and machine.

okay its definatly a problem with data coming from the linux machine. I've been sending huge files across from the 2k box with absoloutly no problem.

I tried out the tcpdump like you suggested, it seemed to throw up a lot of incomprehensible stuff but i did see quite a lot of errors appearing when trying to move files from linux > 2k, often it would just sit there doing nothing for quite a long time.

one thing i did get was "Error performing inpage operation" on the 2k machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

Can you rule out any physical connectivity issues (NICs, cabling etc.)?

If so, then is there any chance that it's a mismatched MTU? This is the maximum amount of data that each frame can carry on a network. For Ethernet, it's usually set to 1500. Use "ifconfig" to check it under Linux and in NT/2000 its in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\<adaptor number> (I think)

Perhaps you could post a segment of a TCPDUMP?

the problem is still happening even after i put a different network card into the machine.

heres a few segments of the tcp dump:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    19:09:01.783888 chunk.1082 > silentbob.5900: P 2990:2998(8) ack 85143 win 17360 (DF)
    19:09:01.975614 silentbob.5900 > chunk.1082: . 85143:85143(0) ack 2998 win 8532 (DF)
    19:09:02.760439 sloth.local.netbios-dgm > 192.168.0.255.netbios-dgm:
    >>> NBT UDP PACKET(138) Res=0x110A ID=0x3075 IP=192.168.0.4 Port=138 Length=220 Res2=0x0
    SourceName=SLOTH NameType=0x00 (Workstation)
    DestName=MEOWMIX NameType=0x1E (Browser Server)

SMB PACKET: SMBtrans (REQUEST)
    SMB Command = 0x25
    Error class = 0x0
    Error code = 0
    Flags1 = 0x0
    Flags2 = 0x0
    Tree ID = 0
    Proc ID = 0
    UID = 0
    MID = 0
    Word Count = 17
    TotParamCnt=0
    TotDataCnt=
    19:09:16.065258 chunk.1027 > sloth.local.netbios-ssn: P 626967663:626967742(79) ack 3803920578 win 17438
    >>> NBT Packet
    NBT Session Packet
    Flags=0x0
    Length=75

SMB PACKET: SMBtrans2 (REQUEST)
    SMB Command = 0x32
    Error class = 0x0
    Error code = 0
    Flags1 = 0x18
    Flags2 = 0x7
    Tree ID = 2
    Proc ID = 768
    UID = 0
    MID = 1792
    Word Count = 15
    TRANSACT2_QPATHINFO param_length=7 data_length=0
    </font>

see what you can make of it smile.gif
    bearing in mind 'sloth' is the linux box and 'chunk' is the win2k workstation. This is during a file transfer session between the two through a samba share.

Advertisement