Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes? Bertie sets up new Business Regulation Group

Options
  • 14-07-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=404&docID=2084
    Speaking at Farmleigh House this afternoon, the Taoiseach said that there “is a need to deepen the dialogue between the business community and the Government in relation to the issues of regulation, and the administrative costs on business that flow from regulation. I am pleased that following discussions with my colleague, the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Micheál Martin T.D., a new business regulation forum will be established shortly under his aegis.”

As to the role that this Forum will have, the Taoiseach indicated that:

“ The Group will be independently chaired, and will be composed of senior business and public sector members. Government Departments, Agencies and Regulators will be invited to participate in the work of this Group. It will report to the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment on particular issues and on problems arising from outdated or inefficient or disproportionate regulation.”

It is expected that the Business Forum will be operational by end-September.

I'm sure IBEC will be taking part to whine about over-regulation of the telco sector. Throw in the Communications Workers Union too for the fun of it. Be nice Bertie if you actually gave a damn about the consumer too. The likes of ComReg is already top-heavy when it comes to looking out for the interests of business and listening to their representations. Consumers have what, the ODCA? and Consumers Association.

Hey Peter, remind us again about your battle to find out who ComReg answers to? Is it this crowd? http://www.betterregulation.ie/

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

IBEC Report to two places:

1. eircom plc, St. Stephen's Green
    2. Vodafone goup, Mountain View, Sandyford

Pro-rata subscriptions.

Anyone see Kevin Myers Irishman's Diary today, I just got a scanned copy. It's re: Dublin airport but it rings true for Utilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IBEC have a special section that represents Eircom and Vodafone/O2 against Consumer/Business/Regulatory Matters/Government

Most IBEC members who know about this are livid with them but IBEC keep taking the money from Voda and Eircom as Tom pointed out.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Yep. Its called TIF (?) I think.

Run by a troica of fella's who went to college together. Good corporate governance. I think not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good Business for IBEC though :)

Advertisement