Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian cowboys - Read on!

Options
  • 14-07-2005 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

OK heres my critical details... 19, full license, driving as a named driver for 1 year now.

After driving for 1 year named driver, I felt it was time to finally go out on my own and start gaining a NCB. So I go into Hibernian asking them what they can do for me, as it was these that I was insured with as a named driver, and my father had numerous policies with them. I was told that I would get a "Great quote if I do Ignition". So of course I get happy and book the Ignition. I was told if I pass ignition (I know theres merit and distinction also) that I could get TPFT on my own Policy for €1680. So I think thats a good price, considering my age and the car is 105 BHP.

But either way, I said id shop around, eventhough I was reassured by Hibernian I wouldnt get a better quote. Went to Quinn direct, and they offered me TPFT for €1580, or fully comp for €1700.

LET THIS BE A HEADS UP TO YOU. SHOP AROUND. I am so annoyed with Hibernian, they are total cowboys, 're-assuring me' I wouldnt get a better quote elsewhere. Obviously I took out the Quinn-Direct policy, and I dont have to do the Ignition test*

And yes, both came with break-down assistance, windscreen cover, and Insured to drive others cars.

* I did the Ignition anyways, and found it to be brilliant, think it may have improved my skills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Is it the fully comp you went with off QD?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sure was... for an extra hundred and something euro, I feel it was well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Did you try Hibernians online version, phoned them up to ask one day and it was 200 quid cheaper over the phone! From the same company. And I thought the web made it cheaper! Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jesus, I would have killed to be paying less than 2K when I was 23 years old driving a 1.1 litre (I was paying 2,700 punts TPFT). Even if they didn't give you the best quote, they gave you a quote that a lot of people your age would kill for. You haven't too much to be annoyed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Yeah Hibernian are chancers. Rang them for a quote last week as my current policy with Quinn Direct was up for renewal. Hibernian quoted me exactly €1000 more than my policy with Quinn Direct. When I told them that my current policy with Quinn Direct was €1000 less than their quote they practically accused my of lying, saying that couldn't be right. In fact when my renewal notice came in from Quinn Direct there was a €300 reduction from what I paid last year. So that's a total saving of €1300 on what Hibernian were asking for. Crooks. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JohnCleary wrote:
    OK heres my critical details... 19, full license, driving as a named driver for 1 year now.

After driving for 1 year named driver, I felt it was time to finally go out on my own and start gaining a NCB. So I go into Hibernian asking them what they can do for me, as it was these that I was insured with as a named driver, and my father had numerous policies with them. I was told that I would get a "Great quote if I do Ignition". So of course I get happy and book the Ignition. I was told if I pass ignition (I know theres merit and distinction also) that I could get TPFT on my own Policy for €1680. So I think thats a good price, considering my age and the car is 105 BHP.

But either way, I said id shop around, eventhough I was reassured by Hibernian I wouldnt get a better quote. Went to Quinn direct, and they offered me TPFT for €1580, or fully comp for €1700.

LET THIS BE A HEADS UP TO YOU. SHOP AROUND. I am so annoyed with Hibernian, they are total cowboys, 're-assuring me' I wouldnt get a better quote elsewhere. Obviously I took out the Quinn-Direct policy, and I dont have to do the Ignition test*

And yes, both came with break-down assistance, windscreen cover, and Insured to drive others cars.

* I did the Ignition anyways, and found it to be brilliant, think it may have improved my skills

Just check the small print on the Quinn Direct policy, I have heard a few nightmare stories about them especially regarding the excess on their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i think one direct are quite good. im 19, provisional license, 1.1 car. my quote is 1100 if i pass a litle course thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

bazz26 wrote:
    Just check the small print on the Quinn Direct policy, I have heard a few nightmare stories about them especially regarding the excess on their policies.

I'll second that.

QD are the ryanair of insurance companys. You get a disc and very little else. The Hibernian policy would be far better should anything happen.

VeVeX wrote:
    You get a disc and very little else.

What else do you want? All I want to do is satisfy the legal requirement to have motor insurance.

I can do without a breakdown service or windscreen repair or whatever it is they offer for the extra €1300 in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What else do you want?..

Cover in case anything happens would be a nice extra.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Cover in case anything happens would be a nice extra.

Do you know what insurance is? :D

I have a fully comprehensive policy. What am I missing out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

What else do you want? All I want to do is satisfy the legal requirement to have motor insurance.

I can do without a breakdown service or windscreen repair or whatever it is they offer for the extra €1300 in my case.

QD rely on that sort of mentality.

Ill give you one example of where your 1300 would come in handy....

If your in an accident your car it totaled and your in a bad way. If you have fully comp they will sort out your car alright but as far as medical / other expences go your on your own pal. You wouldnt see 1300 last long then.

VeVeX wrote:
    but as far as medical / other expences go your on your own pal. You wouldnt see 1300 last long then.

That's what I pay the VHI for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It's common sense to shop around - for me QD were more expensive than Hibernian and I have received nothing but good service from Hibernian (multiple car changes with little or no cost difference). Insurance is horses for courses, I had to threaten QD with court action when they magically tried to charge me £700IR over the original quote [which I had in writing from them], long story.

Hibernian aren't crooks because they quoted higher, just as Dixons aren't crooks for charging €500 more for a TV than you can go and get it for online...It's called business.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Usually Quinn Direct quote me around 1k more than everyone else so it really is a case of shopping around . Then again everyone should =know that by now - even a general hesitation on the phone can get the premium dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Given the choice of paying €100 not to go with QD - I'd take it. If insurance is also about peace of mind, then it's worth paying for. I went with QD for my first policy (didn't really have an option) and I found their attitude and customer service terrible. I also had the mysterious extra charges appear, and they also changed my details during the year leaving me uninsured for about a month without my knowledge.

I now have fully comp with Hibernian including windscreen cover and breakdown assist and I've no complaints. They also have great customer service and they go out of their way to make sure you're aware of your rights and entitlements. If there are any cowboys in the Irish insurance market - then they're called Quinn Direct, as someone has already said, they're the Ryanair of insurance.

bazz26 wrote:

Forgot to mention, theres a 150euro excess policy with me (got it down from 250) but still even at that, im happy out

In fairness, ill admit that Hibernian are very helpful, and it was handy being able to call into their office, but to be honest, im only after insurance for the legal requirment, as someone else stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hibernian wouldn't even quote me because i have a full licence for less than 3 years. ****holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Was in a garage looking at a car a few years back yer man had 4 wrote off lancers out the back
    Three were rusted and one only in two days the new one was not QD the other three had been sitting around for months waiting on someone from Quinn to call round to verify for insurabce claims. As the dealer was telling me this a guy from the other ins company landed to see the car that was only there two days ...

I wouldent like to beb waiting on Quinn for anything

Try FBD they are good for new accounts seem to go up second year.

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Hibernian wouldn't even quote me because i have a full licence for less than 3 years. ****holes.

They quoted me when I had my full licence less than a year. Did you go through a broker or direct? Is your car too big for Ignition?

This was direct on their website. My car is only a 1.25.

Stephen wrote:
    This was direct on their website. My car is only a 1.25.

You need to ring Hibernian Direct - from what I can remember the website doesn't let you get insurance if you've not had a licence for three years, but Hibernian will still quote you if you ring.

That's a bit retarded of them isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

aodh_rua wrote:
    Given the choice of paying €100 not to go with QD - I'd take it. If insurance is also about peace of mind, then it's worth paying for. I went with QD for my first policy (didn't really have an option) and I found their attitude and customer service terrible. I also had the mysterious extra charges appear, and they also changed my details during the year leaving me uninsured for about a month without my knowledge.

I now have fully comp with Hibernian including windscreen cover and breakdown assist and I've no complaints. They also have great customer service and they go out of their way to make sure you're aware of your rights and entitlements. If there are any cowboys in the Irish insurance market - then they're called Quinn Direct, as someone has already said, they're the Ryanair of insurance.

mmm. You're going on as if Hibernian are there to do favours for you! Insurance is a business and not some happy big-brother who's there to look out for you should things go wrong.

I'm a TPFT, no-extras man myself. If I dent my car, I pay to get it fixed because insurance companies are the biggest scabs in the world when it comes to pay-out time. I'd sooner me being in control than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stephen wrote:

Quinn Direct wouldnt quote me on a "performance car" as they called it (94 Accord 2l) and I have 2 years NCB and have my licence since mid 1999.

Oh an dmy 2 year NCB was earned driving with them! on a 1.2 clio paying almost €3,000 for the priviledge of TPF&T.

I guess I got a good quote so?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Did you pass ignition? I was with QD for my first year for €3,600 named driver 1l Micra, renewal was €2,200 I was dead happy:D I rang Hibernian for a quote and they said it'd be €1900 if I did ignition, I did it once, failed (damn testers car!!hehe) applied again and passed it 2 weeks later, got onto Hib again and the quote had expired and I got a new quote of €2,200 off them now! QD wouldn't try and beat anything I was quoted so I tried Tesco.. €1,440!!! wooo! I passed my test yesterday so gonna see can I get a refund on some of the €1,440 now:) and then of course shop around and see if anyone can beat the new premium again!

cormie wrote:
    Did you pass ignition? I was with QD for my first year for €3,600 named driver 1l Micra, renewal was €2,200 I was dead happy:D I rang Hibernian for a quote and they said it'd be €1900 if I did ignition, I did it once, failed (damn testers car!!hehe) applied again and passed it 2 weeks later, got onto Hib again and the quote had expired and I got a new quote of €2,200 off them now! QD wouldn't try and beat anything I was quoted so I tried Tesco.. €1,440!!! wooo! I passed my test yesterday so gonna see can I get a refund on some of the €1,440 now:) and then of course shop around and see if anyone can beat the new premium again!

That sounds like so much effort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I hate paying for something if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Advertisement