Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom's 'TEST' on your phone line for ADSL

• 07-07-2001 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

What is this test that they do to see if your phone line is good for an adsl conenction?

toil

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's just a test to see if there's noise on the line, and to check if it's a proper line or it's been split with a DACS box. If the line is dirty or it's been split, it's not suitable for DSL, because DSL uses quite a bit more power. I presume it's a resistance test or summat.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

going back a good few years now-but I seem to remember that the attenuation is higher for a given lenght of cable at higher frequencies-limiting the distance adsl is feasible-need some coffee-I'll come back to it later

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 07-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

No DSL on a DACS line ?
    That's all I have !
    How am I supposed to get around this problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

order a new phone line and specify no DACS, thats what you pay for, you got ripped off the first time and eircom love taking advantage of it, but if you have not been charged for you installtion yet you can get them to come back and rectify it @ no charge.

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

You'll need to get a new phone line installed... and the only way to be sure it's not a DACS aswell is :

I think in the contract eircom only gaurentee data transmission at 9600bps so they're not obliged to install a decent line into your house.

I suppose the best you can do is if you are having an additional phone line installed, make sure that you clearly tell eircom that you intend to use it for data transmissions . Talk to the engineers when they arrive, they will know for sure if they are just about to install a DACS line. If they insist on making the new line a DACS line then you might want to tell them to forget it completely.

[This message has been edited by m1ke (edited 07-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is there any software or command that anyone knows of, that can do such a line test from the pc through a standard analog modem?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

not that I know of, I think it's distant dependant not just the quality of the actual line.... 2.5km's from the exchange or summit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Where can I obtain a map showing the local exchanges ?
    In Dublin that is.

Advertisement