Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makes me wonder

• 07-07-2001 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on 56k, am drooling at the prospect of dsl maybbe in september. I just came accross a music video site, the guy who runs it was moaning that he didnt have enough bandwidth to host his videos(most 80+ mb files)..so guess what someone offered him a 100Mbit connection...from Norway. Its up and running, and his brethren(most of which are no doubt on some kind of broadband setup), myself included are downloading like it was a conexiant (cannot remember the spelling..but no doubt you ppl know what i mean) offering. Norway and Ireland, why are we so different?
    Sometimes, i feel very hand wringingly frustrated on my pc....agghhh

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Yeah well I figure it won't change here any time soon. Although the LLU might be official and open by the end of the year, there is no pressure in Eircom to get DSL underway for consumers; why end the goldmine of pay per minute local calls?

I checked out the price of a T3 (or whatever it's called here) connection from Eircom, massive 28MBit bandwidth or something like that; it would be £18000 (yup, almost 20 grand) a month. Most of that money is directly into Eircom's pockets as only around 5% goes to the actual companies running the international gateways. Most goes to pay Eircom to go across the country.

I guess the times of the Celtic Tiger Technology-savvy Ireland are over: reading any paper today the lay offs were worse than the media has let for the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

All of the nordic countries are far in advance of us and even places like the UK. Sweden itself has the government paying for most of the actual infrastructure in the country, meaning ethernet to the kerb is actually a reality in some places.

I know several people with 10mbit connections to their houses and they pay less for that than we will for adsl when its released first here.

That and the fact that they are already selling 2mbit adsl to the home users(we'll get given 256/512 when it rolls out), its enough to make ya cry isnt it wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

aye, I was talking to a fellah from norway a few months back, he installed his own ISDn, the telco just put the line up to his door, he finished it off with a kit he bought in a ahsop. he said the same would soon be common with ADSl/SDSL too, the telco just installing the exchange equipment and the paperwork, you installing the splitter etc.
    He did work in the Telecomms industry too though, but he was'nt an engineer or anything. This was out in the countryside oo mind.
    Their state-owned telco laid down thousands of miles of Fibre-optics during teh 70s and 80s, criss-crossing the country, so they have near-unlimited bandwidth, their netowrks are also linked to Sweden's, Denmark's and Finland's too i think, like their electricity grids. Their Telco was also privatised about a decade earlier then here, and LLU happened quickly and was state-aided.
    FFS, Berti-bowls, Government jets, big rediculous and ugly monuments to financial stupidity. Urgggh, makes my sick how the money is being wasted. There is no-longer half as much incentive now for tech jobs, as most multi-national companies are so used to cheap broadband access they are moving to cheaper Asian countries like Korea or skipping by Ireland completely.

Advertisement