Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address and what they mean regarding location

• 15-07-2005 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Not sure this is in the right part of "computers", please move if its not. I was wondering does "as1.blp.dublin" and "b-ras1.srl.dublin" and "as1.dbn.dublin" mean different parts of Dublin when it comes to using Eircom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They're the exchanges that you connect to. You could be connected to any exchange in the country regardless of where you are yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

Yes but what does those letters mean in regard to the location of the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Not sure this is in the right part of "computers", please move if its not. I was wondering does "as1.blp.dublin" and "b-ras1.srl.dublin" and "as1.dbn.dublin" mean different parts of Dublin when it comes to using Eircom?

I'd assume b-ras would be somesort of authentication server. Remote Access Server or something

as1 *shrug*

dbn/srl - I'd think are exchange codes

And I'll leave you to figure out what dublin is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

srl=summerhill exchange?
    dbn=dolphin's barn?

guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

not neccesarily the exchange you are connected to, but the local exchange IP pool you are placed in, for example, all eircom users in cork, reverse resolve to the exact same dns lol, b-ras1.chf.eircom.net chf = churchfield, the big-ass exchange down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Anyone have any idea why any Eircom broadband users in Waterford connect through Cork? Likewise all Carlow (Eircom at least) users connect through Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's all load balanced around the country. You can connect to any exchange - it doesn't matter where you are. And it makes no difference to your connection speeds either.

Advertisement