Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Scam

Options
  • 15-07-2005 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I take it this is the scam everyone is talking about how exactly does this work and why is the bank not liable for accepting the dodgy cheque in the first place
    By the way I have no intention of sending on my details

See the mail

Hi "£$%^&
    Thanks for your reply infact we are much interested in the car and we are
    interested in the price.
    Kindly mail the name we are issueing the payment to and your contact
    address we are sending it to.Regards to the shippment dont worry about the
    shippment.the car would be pick up by our shipping company
    Note the payment will be sent to you in UKPOUNDSTERLING
    We await the name and address as soon as possible.

Rgds
    mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC there are a few variants on it.
    1. they send you a dodgy draft, you give them the car - you lose out.
    2. you send them your details and they steal your car - you lose out

see www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Nigerian/purchase_used_cars.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Another one they do is to send you a draft for more than the price agreed, and get you to wire the difference back to them. Then they might rob your car while you're at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually they send you a cheque or draft for the price of the car plus some over-inflated shipping costs which they then ask you to forward on to their local "shipping agents". You do this, by which time you discover that the cheque is made of rubber. "Shipping agent" disappears into the night and you've lost your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

usual scam-

scammer "ill buy your car"
    you "grand, so"
    s "i received a bank draft payment from a business associate for slightly more than the value of your car, if you will accept this payment i will split the differnce with you" [car is 3000, he gives draft for 4000, you give him 500cash change]
    y "fantastic"

you lodge draft, money goes to your account, you give him 500, he takes car.
    3-4 weeks later , bank calls and says draft was forged, we're taking back the money.

no comeback as didgy draftsman is gone back to uk and car is resold or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

For the crack I replyed back to him saying I would accept a Draft or Cheque and would have to wait 30 days before going further

Needless to say I got no response ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

If you do receive a Draft or cheque you should get it cleared first before handing over any goods, speak to your bank and ask them to do a "Special Collection" on the Draft/Cheque, you should have cleared funds within 24 hours, there is a small fee for this service, but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nigerians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

bennyc wrote:
    For the crack I replyed back to him saying I would accept a Draft or Cheque and would have to wait 30 days before going further

Needless to say I got no response ...

hah, good one Benny :) Send another email to them, 'why have you not responded' lol

damn multinationals all over the place now trying this kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

unkel wrote:
    Nigerians

The population of nigeria is estimated at 126-127 Million
    Do yo mean them all? Or is this just a stupid statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

egan007 wrote:
    The population of nigeria is estimated at 126-127 Million
    Do yo mean them all? Or is this just a stupid statement?
    i don't think it's a stupid statement at all. i think he was just stating that scamming people in one form or another is something that a lot of people in nigeria have gotten very good at given the level of corruption in nigerian society.

although a lot of eastern europeans have gotten pretty good at it since joining the EU in the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

With these scams the car or whatever property is for sale is not wanted by the scammer. What happens is that they arrange to send you a bank draft for over the amount required and ask you to send them the balance by western union money transfer.

You pop into your bank, and lodge the bankdraft. The bank clears the funds as they normally would in branch, then you withdraw the balance and you send it away to the scammer by western union. Then when the daft eventually makes its way through the banking system to the branch that supposedly originated it, only then is it discovered that the draft is a forgery. Then your branch goes after you to take the money back - which you are now legally responsible to pay back. This can take a week or more.

Example: Car costs €5,000, draft arrives for €7,000 you send €2,000 by western union – scammer now has your €2,000 and disappears.

No one comes to collect the property as that would be far too risky for them. In fact the scammer is usually based in a different country so even if you did somehow get their location there is very little you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

You pop into your bank, and lodge the bankdraft. The bank clears the funds as they normally would in branch, then you withdraw the balance and you send it away to the scammer by western union. Then when the daft eventually makes its way through the banking system to the branch that supposedly originated it, only then is it discovered that the draft is a forgery. Then your branch goes after you to take the money back - which you are now legally responsible to pay back. This can take a week or more.

Yes, but if you put a "Special" on the Draft/Cheque it is forwarded to the drawing Bank/Branch directly and the forgery is picked up straight away, hence you will not have cleared funds until the drawing bank clears the Draft/Cheque therefore authenticating it, this is normally done in about 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Yes but the scammer is presuming that you are not going to do that, it is a confidence scam after all so the scammer will have done everything in his power to gain your trust. So the average Joe will be happy in gaining the sale, or so he thinks, he/she will be keen to follow his/her side of the bargain and send the funds right away as requested.

Even if these guys only have a 1/100 success rate they’re winning, and they obviously are still having great success as the number of incidents of people receiving emails is increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's like the spam thing. they don't need everyone to do it, but the more they fish (or phish, maybe as it's a con) for customers themore hits they will get.

finding it hard to believe people are still falling for these things though.

Advertisement