Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So..has Matt Hardy blown it

• 15-07-2005 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks/months Matt Hardy was maybe the best known free agent in wrestling. He had the world at his feet in terms of choices and opportunities, the moral highground and last but not least legions of rabid fans.

This week it seems he's back with the WWE, being put into a smoking but most likely short term angle (that should have happened months ago and has been diluted by all the Kane crap) and has been reduced to huffing and puffing in video messages on the web and talking in promos on byte this.

So my question is, if he's gone back to wwe has he blown it? I mean sure he'll get money but has he done terminal damage to his career? If the wwe angle doesn't work out he'll never be able to enter another company with the same impact as if he entered now.

Also how will his fans react to his manipulating and deceiving them by promoting this new (thats if this whole story wasn't a work) angle as reality when he originally got their sympathy and respect for being straight with them?

So has matt hardy blown it 11 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    27% 3 votes
    Maybe it'll all work out
    45% 5 votes
    What are you a dumbass, this is the greatest thing EVAR!!!
    27% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its true its possible he could make a huge impact with any other company, but is there another company on the same level as the WWE? Love it or hate it, surely its the best in the business at the moment so to make it there is to make it BIG. He prob won't make it and the story will fizzle out sooner or later but he has to think about long term financial security, which i think makes WWE the better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Stories will fizzle, that's how it goes but the best that matt could hope for is a long term rivalry with Edge provided they have some excellent matches together. (if he is really back)
    And i think going back to WWE wouldnt really be thought of as blowning it as it is the best at the moment. But i wonder if he is really back in the WWE, they what will happen with all the contracts he signed with other companies like IWW, ROH to wrestle a match for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd be pissed off at him if he signed a normal contract, but apparently it's a "lenient" one, which makes me think he's getting a good deal. So I'm not pissed off at him. It was always his dream to work for WWE, and if he can do that on his own terms, fair balls to him

If he gets through this program with Edge and finds out WWE have some crap plans in store for him, he could always tell WWE to **** off on tv and then leave and go to TNA! Then he'd have all this following behind him again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Google it and try and get an advance copy of the SCRIPT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I realise there's a script..but if Matt did find out that he were to be put into the same old crap he was in before, what's to stop him from causing a scene on WWE tv and leggin it to TNA? He'd be pushed as a main-event star there, and the fuss he'd have created would regenerate any interest lost in him over the course of his WWE run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Fozzy wrote:
    I realise there's a script..but if Matt did find out that he were to be put into the same old crap he was in before, what's to stop him from causing a scene on WWE tv and leggin it to TNA? He'd be pushed as a main-event star there, and the fuss he'd have created would regenerate any interest lost in him over the course of his WWE run

Whats to stop him? well firstly his contract. There is a huge difference between being released and quitting. Ask Brock Lesnar.

2ndly, it is doubtful that Matt would be pushed as a main event star if he were released again. The fact of the matter is there is currently a huge buzz about Matt Hardy, which can't be denied. Crowds in TNA would go nuts if he appeared now as he is the guy in the right, that was fired from wwe but that the fans wouldn't let wwe forget.

We can't kid ourselves, if that buzz wasn't there, if the fans weren't shouting his name WWE would not want him back.

Now if hes back with wwe, and this angle doesn't work and he gets released again in a years time, there won't be any fuss (unless he gets back with lita, she cheats and he gets fired again) he won't have the same impact, it will be like Sean Waltman going to TNA, he would have to be put over by the announcers and the entire company.

If he went now he'd be instant main event as he's so over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I have to say - WTF! Why are people concerned if he has blown it or not - blown what exactly - he has played everyone with this angle - whether or not he leaves WWE at all, this angle isnt his only legacy - MH was always the superior performer compared to his brother - hell V1.0 got him over. It was only after he moved to RAW was his character shat on.

However this angle started out as a real life situation - but obviously things have been worked out and MH is now part of one of the hottest angles this year alone. Is that a good or bad thing - that depends on how it is handled, but this is MH's angle and dont think for one second he re-joined WWE without getting as much leverage as he could for his character and this angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When Hardy first went solo, it was predicted what V1 was the start of something huge, that Matt had both the ring and mic ability to go all the way. Now, as posted above, his move to Raw was a poor choice, he said as much on ths weeks BYTE THIS.

I have no doubt that Matt is a clever fellow, and before he resigned for wwe (assuming he was even released inthe first place), he must have gotten certain assurances that he wouldnt be lost in the mid card mix again. As it is he is in arguably wrestlings hottest current feud, and depending how it pans out, we could see huge things for Hardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I can see Edge trying to use his money in the bank option only for Hardy to do a run in and blow his chances of winning the title. That could even spice it up a bit more than it already is. Edge has been holding onto that briefcase for a while now so I'm waiting to see what plans he has for it other than smashing Kanes head in with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I have to say - WTF! Why are people concerned if he has blown it or not - blown what exactly -

Just to clarify, by blown it, I meant the buzz, the goodwill and his status as wrestlings hottest free agent, basically the oportunities that evolved from the bad situation that led to his release. Not his legacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

All outside opportunites aside - the best place for Hardy is WWE - maximum exposure to more of an audience.

EVeryone can say what they like about TNA, Japan, etc - but the fact is WWE is still the dominant shark in the pool - and if Hardy can leverage himself into a nice position, then every other opportunity is pretty much redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

It's kinda worked out nicely. The move to Raw as we all know was a bad one and he wasnt really getting the same exposure there as he was on Smackdown. One or two feuds, notably with Kane but I felt he was going through the mid card motions.

By blowing this up Hardy has created a swarm around himself. He's pushed himself back into the spotlight at the expense of others. This is one storyline I want to see the outcome of as opposed to Viscera/Lillian wedding or even who the Boogeymans first victim will be.

So has Matt blown it? He may have lost some respect from some of his fans for contradicting himself but it will all work out for him in the end. He's got the spotlight firmly on him again and it can only make him and Vince some extra moola.

Advertisement