Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD to DIT

• 15-07-2005 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

i just got offered a place in 3rd year in DIT comp science..ive done 3 years in ucd and got a gen degree.missed 4th yr qualification by 1 pass. i'm kinda worried about accepting the offer. coz DIT's course seems waay harder than ours tbh.

could anyone share some advice...is it a cool course?

or has anyone gone from ucd to dit ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well just finished 4th year in DIT Computer Science. Its a good course, but simply 4th year is very hard and i would imagine it would be hard anywhere. I don't know if it is much harder than the course in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

well we did similar things to you but quite a bit more theoretical subjects instead of practical. it'll mean 5 years in college so i really have to research this..would you do it again given the chance i guess is a good question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ian21

Yeah i heard the courses in DIT were a lot more practical than other Unis and Colleges. I just finished and got a 2.1 in FT228. I came from the Diploma and i have to say that the final yr of the DIploma was harder than the final yr of the degree..The assignments were not the hardest and im always willing to pass on my assignments to help others out in the spirit of DIT :) . Id say go for it...Or DCUs comp applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gwyllin

I get the idea that DIT is where all the brainless individuals go.. (at least that is my general impresion)

Well thats a silly impression to have...DIT courses are very practical-oriented which employers like.Rather than sitting in lecture halls in trinners & ucd learning theory u get hands on experience. Brainless is an insult to those 1000s of students that have gone thru.Thats very insulting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Thats probably true but the problem is that they drop out, in 1st year computer science(hons degree) there is a 30-35% drop out rate.

Dont be fooled, DIT isn't a walk in the park, well not computer science anyway.

There a very high dropout across the DIT. I think partly its due to the fact that DIT kevin St where the Comp Sci is located,is an utter dump.its falling down. The labs are always packed while aungier st business students got lovely new labs that they use to write word docs on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I know, tho most of my labs are in aungier street, and the lift in kevin street has nearly killed me several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gwyllin

Okay. That was my impression. I'll take it back then. Didn't mean to offend and I apologise for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Gwyllin wrote:
    Okay. That was my impression. I'll take it back then. Didn't mean to offend and I apologise for that.

Didnt mean to offend???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Gwyllin wrote:

Ah its ok, the idiots been banned. I read some of her posts on the Trinity forum... not really alot going on upstairs in any logical sense. I mean, what sort of person comes on and seriously calls a whole college's student body brainless and posts that waffley "I know a guy in DIT...". thread... and then her TCD threads... my god.

Of course ya need shiney labs to write word documents... if ye had shiney labs for C++ then ye'd get distracted from the all important programming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

but frankie, shes back under another name so we are still going to be subjected o her idiotic ways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Misticles wrote:
    but frankie, shes back under another name so we are still going to be subjected o her idiotic ways!
    God help us!

Advertisement