Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart and existing wireless router

• 15-07-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

I've got a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router that i currently use with NTL. I'll be moving over to smart in a few weeks. Does anyone know if the router will work with Smart's ADSL modem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if the router has an ethernet port on its WAN side then yes it should however as far as i know that would be sort of useless as i think its a combo router/modem , and if you wanted to go wireless you would either need to
    A ) pay extra for the wireless version from smart
    B ) dont bother using their free modem, and buy your own ADSL2+ modem
    C ) dont bother using the free modem or your exisiting one, and just buy an ADSL2+ Wireless router/modem
    D ) Use their free modem, and just get a wireless AP to attach to enable wireless client to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2756549&postcount=4

I googled for your router and from what I see it has an ethernet port so if you follow that in the link above, you'll remove the router part from smart's device

So then in your linksys, login to it and configure it for PPPoE mode. And that should work.

Of course lacking in both devices means I can't test it although it should work in theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go when the modem arrives and I'm connected (if that ever happens). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 suz

Hi, I also have a wireless router which I am trying to configure with Smart boradband. Do you think it would work for this router - Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router - Model DG834G. http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php#wireless
    if I follow the instructions described here? Any help greatly appreciated.

I am already accessing the web etc. via the existing router that Smart supplied, so have it correctly configured and working.
    Also, has anyone used the premium rate asistance number? Any feedback on it?

suz wrote:
    Hi, I also have a wireless router which I am trying to configure with Smart boradband. Do you think it would work for this router - Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router - Model DG834G. http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php#wireless
    if I follow the instructions described here? Any help greatly appreciated.

I am already accessing the web etc. via the existing router that Smart supplied, so have it correctly configured and working.
    Also, has anyone used the premium rate asistance number? Any feedback on it?

Get the firmware update (on support site somewhere) so it works with ADSL2+ and there is no reason it shouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

TimTim wrote:
    Get the firmware update (on support site somewhere) so it works with ADSL2+ and there is no reason it shouldn't work.

The link to obtain the latest firmware is here. .

When you have updated the firmware just enter the usual details as supplied by Smart and you should have no problem.

dub45 wrote:
    The link to obtain the latest firmware is here. .

When you have updated the firmware just enter the usual details as supplied by Smart and you should have no problem.

Not trying to be pedantic or anything, but if you have the one which is smaller and apple white colour, thats a v2 one and the link is here

TimTim wrote:
    Not trying to be pedantic or anything, but if you have the one which is smaller and apple white colour, thats a v2 one and the link is here

Studiously avoiding pedanticism it seems to be the same firmware anyways! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

JNive wrote:
    if the router has an ethernet port on its WAN side then yes it should however as far as i know that would be sort of useless as i think its a combo router/modem , and if you wanted to go wireless you would either need to
    A ) pay extra for the wireless version from smart
    B ) dont bother using their free modem, and buy your own ADSL2+ modem
    C ) dont bother using the free modem or your exisiting one, and just buy an ADSL2+ Wireless router/modem
    D ) Use their free modem, and just get a wireless AP to attach to enable wireless client to connect.

Just looking at your text there, is a WAP a better investment than a wireless router, in terms of ability to work with most providers presupplied modems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

skywalker wrote:
    Just looking at your text there, is a WAP a better investment than a wireless router, in terms of ability to work with most providers presupplied modems?

Personally, I reckon the seperate wireless access point (WAP) is the way to go. It will 'survive' your move to a different ISP, who may only provide support on the hardware they issue themselves.

The Apple Airport Express WAP is a great little device, with an Audio Out feed so you can stream your MP3s from iTunes to your stereo. Even has a USB port for wireless printing.

Garfield.

• Advertisement

Personally, I reckon the seperate wireless access point (WAP) is the way to go. It will 'survive' your move to a different ISP, who may only provide support on the hardware they issue themselves.

The Apple Airport Express WAP is a great little device, with an Audio Out feed so you can stream your MP3s from iTunes to your stereo. Even has a USB port for wireless printing.

Garfield.

Unless a person is intending to go cable or wireless in the short to medium term I think an all in one i.e. wireless/router/modem such as the linksys wag54g2 which is now adsl2 ready is the better buy. It requires much the same sort of basic set up as a modem and you are away. It is also currently 20 euros or so cheaper than the Airport Express which in addition requires a modem. The netgear 834g is also adsl2 ready or upgradable via firmware if you happen to get an older model but it is currently more expensive than the linksys.

Assuming your up to date with your printer, hell my printer still runs off a parallel port connected to a switch box shared between pc's. I've always meant to get around to buying a parallel network print adapter, but I'm far too lazy to do so.

An all in one is the ideal solution dub45, but what Im asking is whats the next best thing. I.e whats most likely to provide me with wireless access over the course of several years, & over several differant providers. Atm Im thinking garfield is right and a WAP is the way to go.

skywalker wrote:
    An all in one is the ideal solution dub45, but what Im asking is whats the next best thing. I.e whats most likely to provide me with wireless access over the course of several years, & over several differant providers. Atm Im thinking garfield is right and a WAP is the way to go.

Well in that case a wap is the only way to go! But are you needlessly worrying? who is to know what way wireless technology may change over the next few years? So even a wap may not be at the cutting edge for very long.

possibly, but WAP's are much the same price as a wireless router. No point in shelling out a router if they both do the same job & I might have to buy another next year if I switch provider. Doesnt really matter if its cutting edge in a year or 2 it will still do the job.

skywalker wrote:
    possibly, but WAP's are much the same price as a wireless router. No point in shelling out a router if they both do the same job & I might have to buy another next year if I switch provider. Doesnt really matter if its cutting edge in a year or 2 it will still do the job.

But my point is are you likely to change provider and if your provider is another dsl isp then that wont be a problem. Anyways you seem intent on the wap so go luck with it.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 suz

Hi guys,

So, I followed the instructions and installed and updated the latest firmware on the Netgear router, -it is the v2 apple white one.

I then went back to the Smart router they gave me and changed the settings on that as described in the post at: ttp://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2756549&postcount=4.

Just wondering, what else do I do? This is no doubt a silly question, but does the smart router then physically connect via the cable to the wireless router? And the broadband appointed phone cable goes into the Smart router? .. Can anyone give me an idea using baby steps as to how the set up will work at the end.

I have the WPA Key etc. that has been configured for the wirless router, other than a minor problem with the settings of the Roaming profile on the laptop i hope it should be good to go soon I hope.

Cheers, Suz

If you have the netgear you don't need the smart router.

The netgear has its own modem built into it. Just configure the netgear with whatever details smart use and it should work no problem.

Advertisement