Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISDN

• 10-07-2001 2:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Im ordering ISDN tomorrow and id like to know if theres anything i need to know about. Is the spefic types of ISDN protocals or something.
    Also is there any schemes to bring down the bill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

PHB it uses the exact same protocols as standard PPP..
    For 128k it uses the multilink protocol
    BTW i think isdn is brilliant i have it about a week now,. my TA is an eicon diva..
    i get about 40 ping to gameshop and download speeds of 15-16k/s on dual channel.
    IT ROCKS!!

What is now was once only imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Repli:
    PHB it uses the exact same protocols as standard PPP..
    For 128k it uses the multilink protocol
    BTW i think isdn is brilliant i have it about a week now,. my TA is an eicon diva..
    i get about 40 ping to gameshop and download speeds of 15-16k/s on dual channel.
    IT ROCKS!!

</font>

wait untill your first bill, all that said, if i wasnt with ntl id get ISDN and only use the one channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

What is this crap about the bill being huge.
    It cost roughly twice an anlogue line in line rental and thats the only difference. For this higher rental you get 2x64kb isdn channels and 2x analogue phone lines. Not bad for an extra £25.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canaboid:
    What is this crap about the bill being huge.
    It cost roughly twice an anlogue line in line rental and thats the only difference. For this higher rental you get 2x64kb isdn channels and 2x analogue phone lines. Not bad for an extra £25.
    </font>

well its twice the speed for twice the price,
    ive seen people on these board talk about £250+ phone bills

It cost roughly twice an anlogue line in line rental and thats the only difference. For this higher rental you get 2x64kb isdn channels and 2x analogue phone lines. Not bad for an extra £25.</font>

• Advertisement

why are you quoting yourself,
    if you uses the two channel for the net you pay twice as much, thats as simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Get an Eicon DIVA TA, they're about £80 but if you ever play multiplayer games it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Gladiator, if your off no limits then the calls cost the same whether your on ISDN or 56k, so I don't know what all the fuss is about.The people talking about 200 quid fone bills are just very heavy users.ISDN costs about 12 quid more in monthly rental than 2 analogue lines.
    You don't have to use both channels, most people won't usually.

[This message has been edited by bugler (edited 10-07-2001).]

No. Get an Asuscom, they ping about 5-10 less than the divas.

Glad, theoretically u could somehow bind the 2 analogue lines in to your conn aswell, thus incurring 4 times the call cost. Theoretically. My point is, for gaming/surfing/ircing you will only use 1 channel and incur only one call charge which will be at the same price as an analogue line. For downloads it's nice to have the option of dual channel but it still costs the same as d/ling over a single channel.

Glad, theoretically u could somehow bind the 2 analogue lines in to your conn aswell, thus incurring 4 times the call cost. Theoretically.</font>

No you can't do this, the two isdn ports are the same 2 phone numbers as the two analogue ports. i.e. when you're using channel 0 on isdn, the corresponding phone number is busy.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    and apparently Oceanfree allow u to use 2 channels for one call.</font>
    That is pure BS you are using the two lines and therefore making 2 seperate phone calls, you are charged for both. if that was the case you could make free phone calls on the other line while connected to oceanfree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

in that case tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by bugler (edited 10-07-2001).]

What demonbaby meant is you don't have to pay extra to use both channels, like the eircom subscription service ($15/month).
    Where as eircom free does not allow dual channel access.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Somebody has to say it:

Canaboid, you'd haven't a bulls notion what you're talking about. Really, you haven't a clue. Be quiet please, you're embarassing people.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

David you need to get a TA, asus make good cheap ones (thats the one that i use) its prity much the same as a modem in terms of protocals. You may have some probs setting up the two lines if you get the asus (but keep your modem and I can walk you through it) you can still use your modem on the lines, but you WONT see a better ping off it

I'll talk to you on IRC m8

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

MMmmmmm..........and I thought he did......must be mixing him up with some other IT head, ah well

with ISDN you have 3 channels, if you could get the D channel you trans fear data, rather than connect and disconnect

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Which bit in particular adam ?

Sutty, it used to be possible to collect mail using D channel only. No call charges.

Repli, I was trying to illustrate a point about billing on isdn in response to gladiator. I know it's not F**king feasible to use all 4 lines. Thats why I said theoretically. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Irish ISP's do not support D-Channel connectivity in that sense as I recall. toil would know more about that.

Gav

Uh, most of it?

For this higher rental you get 2x64kb isdn channels and 2x analogue phone lines. Not bad for an extra £25.

No you don't you get 2 analogue or two digital, not and. Big difference.

It cost roughly twice an anlogue line in line rental and thats the only difference.

It's not the only difference - if you use both channels you pay for two calls. Someone who isn't au faix with dual-channel ISDN mightn't know that.

Glad, theoretically u could somehow bind the 2 analogue lines in to your conn aswell, thus incurring 4 times the call cost. Theoretically.

No you couldn't, not even theoretically. You get two digital lines or two analogue lines, period. You can't bundle the analogue lines with the digital ones because the digital channels are using them.

For downloads it's nice to have the option of dual channel but it still costs the same as d/ling over a single channel.

No it doesn't - as soon as the second channel kicks in it costs twice as much.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭DemonBaby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Repli:
    What demonbaby meant is you don't have to pay extra to use both channels, like the eircom subscription service ($15/month).
    Where as eircom free does not allow dual channel access.

</font>

Did I post here?. smile.gif
    Cant find it

Okay adam, my pedantic and rather rude friend.

"No you don't you get 2 analogue or two digital, not and. Big difference."

No you get all 4 you just can't use em all at the same time.

"It's not the only difference - if you use both channels you pay for two calls. Someone who isn't au faix with dual-channel ISDN mightn't know that."

Well duh. I think they might figure it out when they set up multilink and enter the second number.

"No you couldn't, not even theoretically. You get two digital lines or two analogue lines, period. You can't bundle the analogue lines with the digital ones because the digital channels are using them."

Sigh fine I picked a bad example to illustrate my point.

"No it doesn't - as soon as the second channel kicks in it costs twice as much."

Think about this carefully adam. If you use 2 channels it costs twice as much but your download takes half the time. Penny dropping yet ?
    Idiot.

• Advertisement

one thing Canaboid a guy over at irelandoffline who uses isdn for his bussiness told me he pays more for makign calls on an isdn line

Adam i thin khes talking about the fact that every home has two analog channels coming into it,(the four wires in cable)
    and that by getting isdn you have then dubbled that, but that doesnt work because to do it that way they use dac box, which im pretty sure isdn doesnt work on,

if this is not what your getting at i apologist

Okay adam, my pedantic and rather rude friend.

There's a big difference between me being rude and you being wrong. You were wrong.

No you get all 4 you just can't use em all at the same time.

Hence my explanation of the difference between "and" and "or". It's either, not both.

Well duh. I think they might figure it out when they set up multilink and enter the second number.

Have you *read* some of the posts on boards.ie? Ok, there's a fair few intelligent people on here, but there's also a fair few who couldn't find their own belly button with a map. And if they found it, they'd probably try to have sex with it.

Sigh fine I picked a bad example to illustrate my point.

Yes, you did. Which means you were wrong. And I'm the bad person for pointing it out?

Think about this carefully adam. If you use 2 channels it costs twice as much but your download takes half the time.

That's *very* rarely true. It still takes more than half the time, especially if you're downloading multiple files. In a perfect world, yes, I'd concede that, but this isn't a perfect world. If it was, I wouldn't have to deal with people like you.

Penny dropping yet ? Idiot.

Again, and *I'm* rude? I wasn't being rude, I was stating a fact - you were talking out your bum and you know you were. So bite me, huh? That rude enough for you?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

No longer interested in arguing semantics with you Adam. My points were made clearly enough to be understood by most. You just seem to be trying to start a row.
    </font>

Actually he is stating the truth there, although you might not like it Canaboid, there is a way of getting more than the 2*64k with what you get, but thats using the 2*8 signal-channels, which eircom do not offer, as they want them to remain as signal channels. You get with ISDN two Digital, two analogue or one Digital and one analogue. Two lines at all times, not the four you seem to believe.

Sorry but its a fact, you can get another line in and go Quad ISDN, but think of the bills.

[This message has been edited by Leverz (edited 11-07-2001).]

No longer interested in arguing semantics with you Adam. My points were made clearly enough to be understood by most. You just seem to be trying to start a row.

Advertisement