Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntlworld and win2k

• 05-07-2001 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭

Got the ntlworld cd finally today. Damn thing will only run under win9x. I refuse to go back to win9x for anything bar video capture (which i have a seperate pc dedicated too). So i just made a new hardware profile in that (vid cap profile has every device not needed for this purpose disabled)and installed a spare winmodem i had gathering dust. All went fine, all the bloatware went in no problems. So fine, i was able to register, get username, password etc blah blah . So why not just copy the settings into the win2k box? I did, and it works fine. BUT!! The ntl cd copied a whole load of crap into the pc (such as in "my computer" i now have a "dialing locations" ,a dial-up notebooks" , and an "internet connections" folder as well as the usual stuff. Now, from my ,sadly, old snl days when i did a format etc all i did was make a new dun connection to 1332103001235 , and cos it was a weird and wonderfull number i could "get" the idea that its like a 1800 etc...but this ntlworld is just a regular (in my case) dublin number, ie 01 2450429 , which makes me VERY suspicious that all the other stuff is adding digits without me knowing. Well given that i am about to go nuts this weekend downloading (snl withdrawal symptoms)to make up for lost time, i really am a bit wary of using my win2k box in case i get landed with an even more massive eircom bill then i am going to already get this month.
    Anyone ,got the answer?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'd make sure that Caller Line ID is on your phone. As in stick in the prefix for that whatever it is. Apart from that, there shouldn't be a problem at all.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

listen mate be very very carfull for some reason the dun adds alot of numbers in front that you dont need, its just a straight number, when i get home ill give you it to make sure you have the right one.
    to remove all the folders crap just go into add/remove

You get an itemised bill form ntl, it give you a discount for the weekend time, ie it adds up all the time online andtakes away the weekend

and verb ntl is not caller ID, because im ex dir and for me to use called ID ,id have to put 147(i think thats it) in front of the number im dialing, i dont have to do that with ntl

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 06-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Verb and Gladiator.
    The caller id thingy should be activated on my line, as i never had to bother to put the xrta digits on my snl connection, and they sure as hell knew who they were cutting off. Gladiator, i really appreciate the offer to compare your own connection settings with mine,thanks. You are using ntl in win2k yes?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Incoming POP3 Server: pop.ntlworld.ie
    all the setting you need the number is
    01 2450429

Outgoing POP3 Server: smtp.ntlworld.ie
    Dial-up News Server: news.ntlworld.ie
    Cable Modem News Server: news.cable.ntlworld.ie
    FTP Server: upload.ntlworld.ie
    Primary DNS: 194.168.4.100
    Secondary DNS: 194.168.8.100

now that should be all you need to set up a dun, i dont know why but in win 9x they keep wanting to put extra numbers in front of the real one, the same in win2k pro but you cant save the changes to the number in win2k pro and it wotn add the numbers again.

BTW i persume your have a username a password, if not im sure you can set up up over the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Would anyone ere know if NTL do dialup for limerick. If so whats the number or where can i get it?

Cheers

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Gladiator, that pretty much the settings i had, i just called the support line to make sure, 90 mins later i gave up..i mean how many times can you listen to a reapeating wav file..hold musik that bad is painfull. I also tried the so called premium line, that just rang and rang and then gave an engaged tone, so much for 24 hour support.
    One last question...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i dont know why but in win 9x they keep wanting to put extra numbers in front of the real one, the same in win2k pro but you cant save the changes to the number in win2k pro and it wotn add the numbers again</font>
    Same in win2k , how? if you set it up manually and the software installer doesn't run under that os?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Prefix the number with 142 to enable caller id

Advertisement