Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone trialing adsl ?

• 11-07-2001 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

What sort of gaming pings are you managed ? What sort of preformance, and routing... is it any good like or just one step up from shabby isdn....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dont think anyone would give info out like that if they were on a trial. Most telcos put them under strict non disclosure agreements about the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A secret trialer told me

60-70 on UK servers
    90-100 on Irish
    or it might have been the other way round
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

rah, bog standard isdn can do 40 on uk servers and 25-30 on irish servers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m1ke:
    rah, bog standard isdn can do 40 on uk servers and 25-30 on irish servers</font>

Yeah, but interleaved DSL connections can be about 40-50ms slower than ISDN
    , although those figures still seem a little high

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 12-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

according to what i've heard from people using it in the uk, the pings are about comparable to isdn.

however, download rates go up signifigantly. This is based on 512k down/256k up adsl.

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 12-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

A little birdy told me that I *cough* i mean u can get with my *cough* i mean a 512k line about 50 k/sec download, and with a 256k upstream, u get about 25 k/sec upload

Pings to ireland are about 60-70, uk are about 80-90

General browsing is SH*T fast

smile.gif

RentZ

P.S. U didnt hear nuttin!.... right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

BT ADSL
    dl rates about 65k/sec
    pings to most UK servers 20 , pings to Irish servers 40.... pings to european servers 30/40.

80-90 is a pile of ****ing **** :/ ye wait 3 years for something to rollout and now it looks worse then what I already have lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m1ke:
    80-90 is a pile of ****ing **** :/ ye wait 3 years for something to rollout and now it looks worse then what I already have lol.</font>

DSL is notorious for this kind of problem. Usually, the solution is specific to the local telephone network, and has to be worked out by the telco by testing and tweaking real connections.

SO with a bit of luck, by the time they launch the damn service, this will have improved

Advertisement