Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadracing Walderstown(Athlone) Sat/Sun 16/17 July

Options
  • 15-07-2005 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

The annual bike road race is being held at Walderstown this weekend. Practice/qualifying starts on Saturday at 12:30ish with racing starting at 11ish on Sunday.

Walderstown is just north-east of Athlone on the (R390)Athlone-Ballymore-Mullingar road. Local roads, including the R390 will close shortly before racing begins.

Always been a good day out with lots of noise and a huge variety of bikes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Drives my relatives in Walderstowe insane! They are fenced in for the two days and can't do anything. They feel that once someone enevitably dies, it will move to a new location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

CGorman wrote:
    Drives my relatives in Walderstowe insane! They are fenced in for the two days and can't do anything. They feel that once someone enevitably dies, it will move to a new location.

They're only fenced in for about 5 hours for each day, so it's not exactly the TT course. The safety is also taken very seriously, the biggest problem being the odd gobsh!te running across the road, or people who don't keep control of their kids. I know lots of people in the area and the only thing I've ever heard was praise for the event.

Well half my family come from the area (my mothers half) and they are fed up with it at this stage. So about 10hrs between the two days... you think thats not much? It might be little compared to TT, but its still a pain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

5 hours a day, fenced in. I'd go ****ing mad if they did that to my house.

TomTom wrote:
    5 hours a day, fenced in. I'd go ****ing mad if they did that to my house.

Oh and its the middle of no where so forget broadband! They operate a large farm so it probably effects their deliveries.

• Advertisement

CGorman wrote:
    Oh and its the middle of no where so forget broadband! They operate a large farm so it probably effects their deliveries.

Lastmile offer wireless broadband in the area.

As for deliveries, that might be clutching at straws on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Now, hay bailing or moving animals, that I could believe.

BTW, it all went well, with large crowds on both days and yet again, no one killed.

They operate mainly a mushroom business, not cattle or livestock. My parents and brother actually went to the race (more so to visit our relatives than to see the actual race), I coul'nt go because I was working, still glad to hear it was enjoyable for everyone and the whole day was relatively safe (althought I hear their was one accident where an ambalance was needed)

CGorman wrote:
    They operate mainly a mushroom business, not cattle or livestock. My parents and brother actually went to the race (more so to visit our relatives than to see the actual race), I coul'nt go because I was working, still glad to hear it was enjoyable for everyone and the whole day was relatively safe (althought I hear their was one accident where an ambalance was needed)

It was one of the classic bikes and the rider was a bit of a classic himself. Ambulance was precautionary(if you come off a bike, they're always paranoid about concussion), but I was told this morning that he was fine afterwards.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Occidental wrote:

As for deliveries, that might be clutching at straws on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Now, hay bailing or moving animals, that I could believe.

BTW, it all went well, with large crowds on both days and yet again, no one killed.

Good to hear all went well.

Occidental wrote:

Would you be able to get Lastmile in the Knockdrin/Multyfarnam area?

• Advertisement

CGorman wrote:
    Would you be able to get Lastmile in the Knockdrin/Multyfarnam area?

Might be a bit far. I know they have masts in the centre of Athlone and on top of Lanesborough power station, but I don't know if there's anything nearer to Mullingar.

Best bet is give them a call on 090 6477701 or info@lastmile.ie

I checked out the map on their website and they have a mast beside Lough Owel. Its not for me (I live in the town and have Eircom Broadband), its for someone I know whos fairly fustrated at having a great new dell... but a >50kps connetion!

Advertisement