Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting over a month.

• 15-07-2005 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

I got my smart router about a month ago and had it set up for a month aswell and still no broadband. Has any1 else had this problem? I've contacted smart and they said that eircom wudnt give smart permission to trasfer the phone lines or something. They keep giving us a date that we'd receive broadband but it's not right.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I got my smart router about a month ago and had it set up for a month aswell and still no broadband. Has any1 else had this problem? I've contacted smart and they said that eircom wudnt give smart permission to trasfer the phone lines or something. They keep giving us a date that we'd receive broadband but it's not right.

What exchange are you on? Find out from Smart exactly what the problem is and I do mean exactly!! Dont let anyone fudge the issue. Are you currently with any other bb provider or is your line rental with anyone?

Are there any outstanding bills with Eircom?

PM Garfield if you are not getting satisfaction from the Smart customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i hope you cancelled your eircom BB if you had it, before placing the actual order with smart, otherwise it would be rejected.

Also, any outstanding fees need to be settled with eircom
    Also, if you indicated you wanted to keep your phone number, you just have to wait.

Either way, if it doesnt get cleared up and you change your mind you can send smart a letter to cancel the service before your line goes live, and you dont have to pay anything, nor be stuck in any contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i've found smart to be pretty great, such a pity that this eircom business is screwing things up. i've had a few problems with my line and the customer support has been exemplerary, always get through to someone, and if i have to wait for a callback its usually pretty prompt. notwithstanding garfield either whos been a great help.

by comparison, we had ntl out this morning to investigate a problem with our digital tv. wasn;t there myself but the girlfriend is going to fire off an email to ntl about how appalling the engineer was.
    he rang the doorbell, didn't get an answer, rung my mobile to leave a message advising to make an appointment. i quickly rang my girlfriend, she ran outside to find he was still there (she'd taken the afternoon off to let him in.
    he says "what kind of modem is it?"
    "silver, with a black bit on top"
    he passes a box for a new modem out to her, and says good luck!

she says wait a minute, we just want you to check out the existing one. he begrudgingly comes up to the apt.
    the problem with our digital is that 3 or 4 times a week it crashes and says the card is faultly. he gets huffy and says that if it was happening 15 times a day *then* we should have gotten in touch, but otherwise whats the problem.
    he says its our fault for leaving the digi modem plugged in all the time, despite the ntl manual advising us to do this, takes the card out, spits on it, puts it back and goes off.

mental!

jaysis, apologies for the off topic!

to get back to your problem, hassle eircom maybe. worked for me a couple of years ago when i was trying to get UTV up and running. the more complaints they get from people, maybe it will help smarts case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally Posted by the corpo
    I got my smart router about a month ago and had it set up for a month aswell and still no broadband.
    Jeez your lucky, i was told yesterday my local exchange would be upgraded sometime in the middle of 2006 or early 07, ah how i love waiting not, i smelled the rat two months ago and got Sat BB from euroskynet 1Mb for €6.90 a month plus 1.5¢ for every MB i download, Eircom were telling me then it should be upgraded in Spetember, so i gambled on the Sat service and it has being a runaway success for me. and to hear people complainging here about thing like smart telecom and Bt broandband ping rates. It makes my blood boil they should count themselves lucky to have Adsl. Btw i don't blame Eircom i blame Finna Fail for bending to every order by the PDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

My cousin was having problems moving from Eircom to Smart. Eircom were saying his account didn't exist or the number was wrong (he was still getting bills though) for the last two months, he called them lots of times trying to get it sorted out.

So I found the Eircom person who looks after compliance with the data protection act (Michael Heneghan, 112-114 St. Stephens Green West Dublin 2), who he wrote to yesterday. This morning he got a call back from Eircom to say that it will be fixed by next Tuesday and Eircom would contact Smart on his behalf to help the transfer goes through smoothly and they were very sorry that they had made a mistake. He also got offered a second phone line (Eircom) free for eight months, if he wants by way of an apology.

Willie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement