Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Powernet

• 10-07-2001 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭

got a package today about pricing ect so i called em up asking culd i get powernet in cork which was no the release date is aug or sept BUT the news id like to share is that the mast will be placed by cork airport so do da math lads are u 20km within it??
    or will we be able to get dsl by then??

routine? expectations? competition? happiness? commitment? infatuation? virginity?
    respect? marriage? adultery? money? carnal knowledge? love?...
    ... blah, blah, blah

p.s i want dsl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

AFAIK you have to be in line of sight if the mast also, this means it will probably serve a large section of the city but cut out most of the suburbs which sadly enough is where most people live.

And then in a moment of absolute clarity he realised that there was nothing, not because everything had ceased to exist but rather that it had never been there to begin with.
    Free Your Mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

When you say Line Of Sight .. what do you mean exactly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

what he means by "Line of sight" is that you have to be able to see the mast in order to be able to use powernet. if theres a hill or a big building infront of you, well then beg/hope/cry for dsl smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by flamegrill:
    what he means by "Line of sight" is that you have to be able to see the mast in order to be able to use powernet. if theres a hill or a big building infront of you, well then beg/hope/cry for dsl smile.gif</font>

Or... remove the hill/building with a large explosive device }:> Seeing as its the airport (bad choice if u ask me) as was said already.. half the city has line o site to airport, but the place I'm living in is in a big valley.. so I'm bollixed. C'mon the adsl...

Bit stupid having only one (is there only 1?) mast at the airport... that kinda knocks out most suburban areas.. maybe this is something to approach chorus on.. if they are going to rollout in cork, make it a decent rollout and not one that leaves half the city/suburbs without the hope of powernet..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There was come confusion about this actually - nobody in Chorus really knew if it was going to be based up by the airport or by the Telecom tower in Knocka (Keeper Hill or summat like that). I guess if the takeup is any good, another mast can't be ruled out. I'm in a bad spot either way though, in Ballinlough. Don't know whether I have line of sight or not, and I ain't climbin' up on the roof to find out. I reckon I stand a better chance with the airport though. Fingers crossed for both this and DSL.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Don't think we'll make it Adam, I'm only down the road from you. Time to get out the big guns and blow up Grange smile.gif I'm up the F-15! Who needs a golf course on a fscking hill anyways?
    I'm at the airport now so I'll just pop out and take a quick look before the lights go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Just took a quick look, couldn't see much. Also just realised that there's this Chorus place up by Harelequins. Fair bit of work being done there too (drive past it every day). Best part, you can see it from my place smile.gif When it gets dark take a look for this bright red light above Grange. That's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Enygma. I know where you're talking about, I might take a spin up there tomorrow.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

good luck to you lads in Cork smile.gif

When it comes time for the engineer to come out he will climb the roof and do a test for "line of sight". This means he can mount the antenna on your chimney with a 6 Foot pole. So if you can climb onto your chimney and look at the hill/airport and there are no obstructions (ie trees are very bad) you should be sorted.

ADVICE: NEVER LET THE WOMAN ON THE PHONE TELL YOU YOUR AREA ISNT COVERED IF YOU THINK THERES A CHANCE YOU HAVE LINE OF SIGHT.

Push them to give you a an engineer, they are happy to do the test and are much friendlier and in the end, what they say goes.

Now that you've mentioned keeper hill adam it does sound somewhat familliar.. Great yes to serve the city.. but what about us poor schmo's in the county? The airport would be nice (yes please) and perhaps another one on the opposite side of the world (by the world I mean cork suburbs of course). I think I may be hiring a chainsaw and cutting down those 40ft high trees in my back yard so.. they could cause some headaches. Thanks for the info, and do keep a postin' so we know when we have potential coverage and when its time to get a chorus engineer round for tea & biccies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

hmmm...
    i'm on the lower glanmire road.. so i suppose that rules me out? theres a huge cliff behind my house smile.gif

my clanmate is in grange, will he be able to get it dye think?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Illkillya:
    hmmm...
    i'm on the lower glanmire road.. so i suppose that rules me out? theres a huge cliff behind my house smile.gif

my clanmate is in grange, will he be able to get it dye think?
    </font>

grange will probably be a likely spot id say cos if the coverage didnt go that far they wouldnt be worth much.. ure reaching a bit for going thru a cliff tho lol. maybe if u mount ure aerial on the top of the cliff u might get about 2k/sec smile.gif

Advertisement