Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an end to splitscreen woes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Saw this in the independent today. These screens are supposed to go on sale in japan before christmas. The angle you sit at relative to the screen determines which display you get to see, so you could be watching TV whilst someone else is playing games on a console at the same time. headphones required, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i read about it in the independant too, thats why i went looking for an online article.

it looks interesting enough, id be worried about the cost. Current cost for (good)large LCD screens are astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Pretty cool, but at twice the price of a standard LCD, I can't see the advantage in terms of TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Stephen wrote:
    you could be watching TV whilst someone else is playing games on a console at the same time. headphones required, naturally.
    unless the one watchin TV is deaf and reading the subtitles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Oh no!

This is going to put the development of holo-decks back years!111

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i dont see how, 3d lcd screens have been tested and work to some extent, 2010 or so is when they will hit the mainstream(guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It sounds a bit rubbish actually.

Who looks at a television set from that sort of angle?

It looks like it works like those cards you get in breakfast cereals sometimes. Tony the Tiger is waterskiing and you tilt the image and 'oh no' he's fallen in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Remarkable innovation, but really no useful purpose for it. Like sprinkles said, it'll cost more than the price of two separate TVs, so that's its entire niche wiped out. And if the image quality is anything like the those cereal box cards, watching it will my brain cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jaggeh wrote:
    Current cost for (good)large LCD screens are astronomical.

1099 for a HDtv 32" LCD , 1499 42" plasma 18 months ago they were 2600 and 4500.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Balfa wrote:
    And if the image quality is anything like the those cereal box cards, watching it will my brain cry.
    But I do enjoy the sound that is made when you scratch your fingernails back and forth over them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Cool idea, but the only advantage I can see is the video-game/split-screen thing, which I wouldn't pay thousands for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They need to focus on making a console that outputs to two TVs at the same time, one for each player.
    Linking up PS1's and playing 2-player DOOM was cool back in the day... but having to buy two copies of the game sucked ass.

Advertisement