Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test

Options
  • 15-07-2005 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I failed my driving test (attempt no. 4) there last week. This time I got out of my car feeling I definitely passed that one only to be told the unfortunate news in the all too familiar dreary tone.

The reason for failure: driving too close to parked cars. I thought this a bit harsh. Thing is I can't even remember driving close to any cars! There's no appeal and I'm left with a 14 month wait and about €500 expenses in lessons/applications/licence renewals plus having to take a day off work.

Ok I generally accept the system that exists but it is too complicated and needs to be streamlined. 14 months wait is ridiculous. No new driving testers have been recruited since 1997! The system as it is is hampering the economy because young people can't afford insurance, they won't buy cars and can't get around as freely as can be. Plus there are hundreds of thousands of provisional drivers (like me) cheerily bandying about the place. Why should I be made pay in such a disproportionate manner for these inefficiencies? All I want to do is drive my car at the end of the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

You got shafted mate. Sounds like an easy failure option to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

no offence but failing 4 times is a lot...

why cant you appeal???

also can you not get a letter from your employer saying you need the licence to work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

Well being a research student, I don't really have an 'employer'. I get money from a government agency who I don't think are my employers. I'm stuck at the back of the queue whilst others skip me which is rather annoying.

Anyone out there looking for a part-time employee? You might be able to fix me up with a snappy driving test in exchange for my labour?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Anyone out there looking for a part-time employee? You might be able to fix me up with a snappy driving test in exchange for my labour?!

Employ a student and get him something that is of no benefit to anyone but himself? Sounds like a lose lose situation to me. :D

The big injustice that I can see is to the public. Someone who has failed a basic driving test 4 times is free to drive around unhindered.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html

Loughrea, Ennis or Roscommon I would suggest for try No.5.

I reckon there should be a limit of the amount of tests allowed, fail 10 and that is it. Provisional licence revoked and no new one, at least for a certain period.

We need to get away from this attitude that driving is a right everone has, it is by far the most dangerous thing we all do regularly and many people are incapable or unwilling to learn how to drive responsibly.
    We are already going after those who chose to drive irresponsibly but in this country a person can drive for their whole life without demonstrating the basic ability to pass the test, just apply every couple of years and continue regardless on the provisional.

John R wrote:
    Employ a student and get him something that is of no benefit to anyone but himself? Sounds like a lose lose situation to me.

Eh, the job bit was merely a humorous posting. And besides, what are you talking about when you harp on about "employing a student that is of no benefit to anyone but himself"? Surely if someone wanted me to work for him and required me to drive, then it would be a win-win situation?
    John R wrote:
    The big injustice that I can see is to the public. Someone who has failed a basic driving test 4 times is free to drive around unhindered.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/frameset.html

Loughrea, Ennis or Roscommon I would suggest for try No.5.

I reckon there should be a limit of the amount of tests allowed, fail 10 and that is it. Provisional licence revoked and no new one, at least for a certain period.

We need to get away from this attitude that driving is a right everone has, it is by far the most dangerous thing we all do regularly and many people are incapable or unwilling to learn how to drive responsibly.
    We are already going after those who chose to drive irresponsibly but in this country a person can drive for their whole life without demonstrating the basic ability to pass the test, just apply every couple of years and continue regardless on the provisional.

Yeah, you're right, I'm perfectly free to drive about my car. Only thing is it's a bit annoying trying to avoid motorways but there aren't many of those in Ireland so it's not too much of a problem. I would prefer to drive on the motorway when going to Galway now as they are a hell of a lot safer and the accident rate is much, much lower.

I wouldn't like to see anyone disqualified on the basis of number of test failures. If you can pass the test, you've satisfied the state that you are competent and that's all that matters at the end of the day (I've yet to satisfy these guys). One can sit the leaving cert as many times as they like; people are entitled to have a leaving certificate just as they are to have a driving licence and go about their business as they please.

I agree, the driving licencing system in Ireland is a sham. It needs a complete overhaul, but you do have to bear in mind that people have the right to travel and need to drive which must also be respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Thing is I can't even remember driving close to any cars! .

that would sum it up really, if you can't recall driving too close to cars you probably were consistantly too close and by your driving style had no idea that what you were doing was incorrect.

Being the devils advocate here, I would imagine you are peeved at failing again and are venting a frustration by blaming 'the system' and the instructor.

You need 8 (i think) errors of a minor nature to fail, not just momentarily drifting a little too close to a parked car. This along with the fact that you already failed three times would lead me to believe that you are not of the adquate standard to hold a full license.

On the other note, It is shocking that someone who has shown on four seperate occasions that they are not of a high enough standard to hold a driver's license is allowed to drive on our roads.

whippet wrote:
    that would sum it up really, if you can't recall driving too close to cars you probably were consistantly too close and by your driving style had no idea that what you were doing was incorrect.

Being the devils advocate here, I would imagine you are peeved at failing again and are venting a frustration by blaming 'the system' and the instructor.

You need 8 (i think) errors of a minor nature to fail, not just momentarily drifting a little too close to a parked car. This along with the fact that you already failed three times would lead me to believe that you are not of the adquate standard to hold a full license.

Oh so you're my guardian angel all of a sudden? I'm telling my story as I experienced it.

And I'm not on a 'blame the system' rant. I've been around boards.ie long enough to know about people who blame the 'government' or the 'authorities' when things don't work out for them. If you'll read in my previous posting, you'll find that I do generally accept that the driving test has to be passed; the crux of my gripe is really why one has to wait for so long. 14 months is a ridiculous wait for anyone.
    whippet wrote:
    On the other note, It is shocking that someone who has shown on four seperate occasions that they are not of a high enough standard to hold a driver's license is allowed to drive on our roads.

It's not really for you to decide whether I'm of 'high enough standard' or not. I've not had an accident in 6 years of safe driving since I was 18 which is a lot more than can be said for your average 'young male driver'. I've probably had more lessons and studied rules for more hours than 99% of the driving population.

Point is, I'm legally complient and that's all that matters to me. It's just a bugger having to go through all the rig-morole to get a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm telling my story as I experienced it

and I am giving my opinion based on the information I have.
    And I'm not on a 'blame the system' rant

you quite clearly stated in your original post that you:
    I thought this a bit harsh. Thing is I can't even remember driving close to any cars! There's no appeal

in my view, with long waits in between tests there should ample time to practice and ensure that you learn from your mistakes and pass the next time.

Personally I feel that there is major problems within the system, but it is the only system that we have to work with.
    It's not really for you to decide whether I'm of 'high enough standard' or not

four individual testers have made that decision for me.
    I've probably had more lessons and studied rules for more hours than 99% of the driving population.

that would lead me to believe that you should have passed with flying colours?
    I've not had an accident in 6 years of safe driving since I was 18 which is a lot more than can be said for your average 'young male driver'

so by your figures 1 in 2 young male drivers crash before they turn 24?

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I agree, the driving licencing system in Ireland is a sham. It
    needs a complete overhaul, but you do have to bear in mind that people
    have the right to travel and need to drive which must also be
    respected.

So you're saying the testing system is a sham and it needs to be better,
    but at the same time it has to be easy enough to pass, because people
    "need" and are "entitled" to drive. This kind of attitude among a lot of
    driver sout there is wah the roads are so unsafe at the moment. Driving is a
    privelege not a right.
    It's not really for you to decide whether I'm of 'high enough
    standard' or not. I've not had an accident in 6 years of safe driving
    since I was 18 which is a lot more than can be said for your average
    'young male driver'. I've probably had more lessons and studied rules for
    more hours than 99% of the driving population.

You're right it isn't up to Whippet to decide wether you're of "high
    enough standard" or not, its up to the driving testers, who have failed
    you 4 times so far. In some countries would have to go an see a
    pyschologist after failing 4 times to see wether you should be allowed
    drive at all.
    Just because you haven't have an accident doesn't make you a safe driver.
    Point is, I'm legally complient and that's all that matters to
    me.
    Are you legally compliant, id say in 6 years of driving on a
    provisional licence you've driven without a fully licenced driver at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Look he failed, he has been honest enough to say it was his forth attempt. A driving test can be very stressful, probably much more stressful than normal day to day driving, and the feedback they give you if you fail is quite poor.

As for the reason he failed, driving to close to parked cars, if he didnt hit one he wasnt to close IMHO.

Lets be honest the sooner the whole system is reformed the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

You don't fail a test for a single fault unless that fault is highly dangerous. When you finish the test you are given a copy of the testers fault sheet, which will give you an idea of what you've been doing wrong. Also, if you;ve failed four times, I'd strongly advise changing your pre-test instructor, even if that means doing your next test in a different centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Nuttzz wrote:
    As for the reason he failed, driving to close to parked cars, if he didnt hit one he wasnt to close IMHO.

I don't think it's a failing fault, unless it was continuous, but in any case the problem is that stupid people get out of their cars without looking, and you can chop their legs off if you are too close. If you are too close you also slightly reduce your visibility of hazards (read, children) between parked cars.

In a driving test, you also have to run a fine line between driving too fast past a line of parked cars (in a busy town with narrow streets, 50 km/h is too fast) and being marked down for progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How did you fail the other 3 times? Was it the same errors? And did you get a pink for driving too close or 8 blues? What other blues did you get on all your tests? I scraped by yesterday with 7 blues, phew, I of course think the blue X's were a bit harsh as I don't think they were more serious faults. That is of course what I think.. these were my blues:

Observation:
    Changing lane: XX
    Turning Right: X

Signals:Beckoning Others: X (Lady with a buggy who was already on the road was about to stop for me but since she was already on the road I gave her a wave to let her know I was letting her go as she had the right of way):

Speed:
    Road Conditions: X
    Traffic Conditions: X
    Turning Right: X

I'm quite annoyed I got any Blues to be honest but I'll be keeping an eye out for where I'm going wrong still.

Yes the system is in shambals and it's ridiculous we have to wait for so long, but you only have yourself to blame. If you were taught properly from the start you would have had a better chance of passing if you had adequate experience. Every time someone fails that's a waste of a test that could have been used for someone who would have passed. My friend has a full test due in August, he had 4 lessons about a year ago, that's 4 hours experience driving... a year ago!! That test time could be used for someone else who has a better chance.

Good luck anyway, best thing is just get out there and get as much experience as you can.

Look up Castle School of Motoring in the Golden Pages, I had 3 pre tests with Clifford, he was recommended by another poster who was recommended by a number of other people, now I'm recommending him to you. He will go over everything and will hopefully make you pass your next one.

I don't think it's a failing fault, unless it was continuous.

From the form "4 of the same Grade 2 faults for the same aspect" is a failure. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i think you should sit the exam outside of dublin

get a friend to ask his employer for a letter for ya .

hell if u give me your details ill even send one off for ya

i got my test 4 weeks after sitting my previous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dublinguy2004 if you stopped complaining long enough to click on the link in my previous post you might just see a way to get your next test in a few months rather than a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I failed my driving test (attempt no. 4) there last week. This time I got out of my car feeling I definitely passed that one
    <snip>
    I thought this a bit harsh. Thing is I can't even remember driving close to any cars!
    If your a postgrad then you're clever enough to realise the following are true:
    1) Your expectations for passing the test don't match those of the 4 examiners.
    2) You are most likely making systematic errors.
    As was said - change your instructor. That rules him out of the systematic error equation; of course you still remain in the systematic error equation ;)

Your displeaure at the long wait for a retest is understandable. But in a way it's premised on the notion that if you could sit your test sooner you'd pass it sooner. But that is only true if your driving is of a suitable standard in the first place.

It's also ironic that as a 4 time failer you're complaining about the wait. Approximately 50% of people fail and have to re-sit the test - therefore - about half of people sitting the test are repeats. So you can blame half your wait on the people who fail and have to come back a second time ;) (we won't mention third, fourth, and fifth times :D )

better luck next time :)
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

It also makes me laugh that you can fail a test that deems you unsuitable to be in control of a car without accompanyment and then you drive away on your own.

Ireland is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

failing 4 times is ALOT:D

just get a bike its better or even maybe a scooter.i think thats the best way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

drdre wrote:
    failing 4 times is ALOT:D just get a bike its better or even maybe a scooter.
    Not a good idea. Riding a scooter or motorcycle safely is far more demanding than driving a car. You need to be keenly aware of everything in your environment, which is also the case on a bicycle. I wonder how many times in the four tests he was marked down for observation?

Also, I find it a bit worrying that someone can change lane without sufficient observation twice on test and still pass! That's not good news for us bikers...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

I was marked twice for the lane changing. I think one was when I went to the right lane to go right, I had indicated, looked in my mirrors etc, but I think due to nerves, when I stopped at the lights, the indicator had gone off and it wasn't till I started moving I realised and put it back on. I'm not sure what the other was for but I am very aware of bikers/cyclists, I used to commute on a bicycle and I always have an eye on them, I'd hate to think I'm a danger to them:( It kinda pisses me off I got any X's at all to be honest.

Just wondering, did you swivel your head to check blind spots before moving across, or just rely on your mirrors alone?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I check blind spots yes, under test conditions that may have been different due to nerves and not thinking straight. I don't consider my test to be anywhere near the safest drive I've ever done even though I passed it. Being nervous of driving when you're driving is not good driving conditions. I'm not nervous when I'm not under test conditions and would consider it safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Talk about the 3rd degree, Ninja. He passed didnt he. Have you a full bike license, i`d say a quarter of all bikers ahve a full license. Maybe even a fifth.

If we threw you into a car tomorrow, do you think you`d pass your car driving test?? Im sure we can forgive him for maybe not looking thouroughly under pressure, maybe the tester didnt see him look, he mightnt have made it obvious enough for the tester, and so was given an x. :) Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

cormie wrote:
    I was marked twice for the lane changing. I think one was when I went to the right lane to go right, I had indicated, looked in my mirrors etc, but I think due to nerves, when I stopped at the lights, the indicator had gone off and it wasn't till I started moving I realised and put it back on.
    thats a really common mistake and gets alot of people :(
    i failed my first test too purely over nervous but got it second time round :rolleyes: as bad as this sounds i believe its mainly luck you could drive perfectly everyday and just make one stupid mistake and mess up your test ...or in this case 4 mess ups

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    as bad as this sounds i believe its mainly luck you could drive perfectly everyday and just make one stupid mistake and mess up your test
    That's very true. And to appreciate the horrible reality of your sentence - substitute the word 'life' in place of the word 'test' - now read your sentence again :(

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

The driving tests in this country are a joke.

Failing for passing parked cars too closely?
    Do you know what distance you're supposed to put between yourself and a parked car? Do you carefully observe such obstacles and react appropriately?

I totally agree that the wait is apalling and insurance is a scam.
    people have the right to travel and need to drive which must also be respected
    People may have a right to travel, but being licensed to drive a car is a privilage not a right.

I don't think that passing the test once out of X tries is any good - there are some people who really aren't fit to be behind the wheel of any vehicle.

I heard there is a country (Sweden maybe?) where if you fail your test 3 times you're sent to counselling to see if you're mentally fit to drive at all.

(I've got both a full Car and Motorcycle license)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

causal wrote:
    That's very true. And to appreciate the horrible reality of your sentence - substitute the word 'life' in place of the word 'test' - now read your sentence again :(

causal

my mistake i mean something light, a friend falled just leaving the test centre as he didnt indaicate (the road was a dead end going the other direction) now i know thats stupid as he should have anyway but failed over just that! now thats one stupid mistake (and not life treating)

also other things can effect your test such as other cars in the wrong if u dont react properly u can fail over their mistake!

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    my mistake i mean something light,
    I understood you meant something light :)
    I was making the point that the same simple mistakes that cost you your test one day may cost your life the next day.
    also other things can effect your test such as other cars in the wrong if u dont react properly u can fail over their mistake!
    You won't fail your test for someone elses mistake - but you may fail your test for not reacting properly to what is happening around you. Failing to react to a hazard can cost your life.

I don't mean to be morbid - but the harsh reality is that driver error causes about 90% of road deaths :(

causal

• Advertisement

boardsee wrote:
    Talk about the 3rd degree, Ninja. He passed didnt he.
    My apologies to Cormie if it appeared that way, but that wasn't my intention. Of course everyone makes mistakes especially when on test. The reason I asked was to get an idea of how picky the tester was :)
    Have you a full bike license, i`d say a quarter of all bikers ahve a full license. Maybe even a fifth.
    Hibernian claimed it was 70% provisionals, about 3 years ago.
    Dunno whether that was just their own policyholders, but as official figures are thin on the ground, it probably was.
    Loads of experienced full licence holders left Hibernian for Carole Nash when they came here. CN's proportion of full licence holders is probably more like 80%, it used to be 100% as they didn't take provisionals.
    Not that it's really any of your business, but yes, I do hold a full bike licence.
    If we threw you into a car tomorrow, do you think you`d pass your car driving test??
    There are no guarantees, but I hold a full car licence and drive a car regularly, so I reckon I'd have as good a chance as anyone else here.
    Im sure we can forgive him for maybe not looking thouroughly under pressure
    Sure, and congratulations to Cormie for passing.
    IMHO though the training/testing system in Ireland isn't emphasising observation enough (among many other things) and it needs to be improved. It's truly amazing how poor the observation skills of some road users are - though they may never have done a test at all, never mind passed it! What a crazy system.

Advertisement