Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell Street renovations

Options
  • 15-07-2005 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Eh why is it taking so long to put down a few slabs and paint a bus lane or two? Ok I accept it's not as easy as this, but what the hell is going on on our national thouroughfare?
    Some of it is finished and looks very well, but other parts are a sham. Work has been going on for years now! If my memory serves me correct, the spike was a millenium project. It is now twenty 05 and things still aren't complete. What are these ladz in Dublin City council doing all day? It makes me ashamed to be Irish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The ripping down of those trees on O'Connell Street is a disgrace... they should hang their heads in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Yes, what exactly is happening in the South east Corner of O'connell street? Outside the pharmacy and donut kiosk?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

by and large what theyve done lookes awful, faceless, smooth, anonymous. repalcing mature trees with square shrubs and that monument to utter pointlessness that is the big pointy thing. Still the overtime is probably great and somones getting a brown envelope no doubt :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i really liked the old new oconnell street. pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

Bambi wrote:
    by and large what theyve done lookes awful, faceless, smooth, anonymous. repalcing mature trees with square shrubs and that monument to utter pointlessness that is the big pointy thing. Still the overtime is probably great and somones getting a brown envelope no doubt :mad:

Completely, 100% agree. I'm not too sure on the styling myself... And what's the point in styling at all when they can't even complete a simple project. It's a national disgrace.

Hey kevin_rc_ie, why am I banned from the Trinity College Dublin board?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Diss

It looks sexy and modern.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

Diss wrote:
    It looks sexy and modern.

Well done.

Eh, it's not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i agree with Diss.

o connell st. symobolises urban ireland, this restyling will improve irelands social and commercial prominence.

i'm sure all those trees will be replaced.

whats wrong with the spire? its smooth and reflective skin is a welcome contrast to the surrounding dreariness of the street of which it rises to majestic heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ZigBee

Eh why is it taking so long to put down a few slabs and paint a bus lane or two? Ok I accept it's not as easy as this, but what the hell is going on on our national thouroughfare?
    Some of it is finished and looks very well, but other parts are a sham. Work has been going on for years now! If my memory serves me correct, the spike was a millenium project. It is now twenty 05 and things still aren't complete. What are these ladz in Dublin City council doing all day? It makes me ashamed to be Irish.

I agree! Work has progressed somewhat over the last couple of weeks but they're still miles behind!

I read somewhere that the whole project is akin to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransisco in that by the time they've finished painting the bridge, it's time to start the painting all over again.

What's happened to all the lovely granite (proper granite mind you) slabs that were once on O'Connell Street?

I'd say there's plenty of builders with very nice patios about the place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

ZigBee wrote:
    I'd say there's plenty of builders with very nice patios about the place...

Yes, with loads of those black chewing gum spots all over them. I don't think that is the kind of patio they'd want. The biggest problem for the new O'Connell Street is the stupidity of having the pavements and roadways having the same colour scheme and pattern in front of the GPO. It is very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Flukey wrote:
    Yes, with loads of those black chewing gum spots all over them. I don't think that is the kind of patio they'd want. The biggest problem for the new O'Connell Street is the stupidity of having the pavements and roadways having the same colour scheme and pattern in front of the GPO. It is very dangerous.

I didn't believe that when I heard it and thought it would be hard enough to mistake a road for a path but I went and nearly walked onto the road to get past a few tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Like I've said here before, it is madness. What's worse is that they have no plans to rectify it.

Flukey wrote:
    Like I've said here before, it is madness. What's worse is that they have no plans to rectify it.

It's more than just a lick of paint though I'll wager?

Even a railing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The spike is bad but what makes it really really bad is the difference in color from the bottom part and top part. It looks awful. I also hate the new slabs & trees on O Connel street. The only thing that looks nice are the new traffic lights.

Tusky wrote:
    The spike is bad but what makes it really really bad is the difference in color from the bottom part and top part. It looks awful. I also hate the new slabs & trees on O Connel street. The only thing that looks nice are the new traffic lights.

Whats going on at the GPO? The work there working in conjunction with the same colour path/road nearly got me run over.

I think the street looks alllright actually, alot nicer than the top half.

grimloch wrote:
    Whats going on at the GPO? The work there working in conjunction with the same colour path/road nearly got me run over.

I'm thinking of the Golden Gate Bridge again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

i hope that they will finish it damn quick and that it won't go the same way as eyre square in galway!!!! :o

they should even try to do the work at night....it is a disgrace at the moment for all the tourists!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

grimloch wrote:

They're cleaning the façade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

pulling out the trees was a disgrace

the cleaning of the statues is a great improvement though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

I know I'm dragging this up again. But the O'Connell street revovations really are a disgrace. I thought they'd at least get the paving down before christmas. Is it really that much work or are the contractors dragging it out for as long as possible milking it for every cent it's worth?

Complete lack of leadership if you ask me. Who's in charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

They're actually well ahead of schedule due to the unusually decent weather.
    O'Connell Street overhaul due to be completed in May
    Olivia Kelly

The redevelopment of O'Connell Street in Dublin, which has caused huge disruption to traffic and pedestrians for the last four years, is due to be completed next May, six months ahead of schedule.

The final phase of construction, at the northern end of the street, began on April 26th this year; it was estimated it would continue for 18 months. However, the city council said the work had been accelerated and was now scheduled for earlier completion.

The first phase of the regeneration of the capital's main street began in 2001 and was completed late last year. It involved the creation of a central plaza outside the GPO and the installation of the Spire.

This second phase comprises the area of Upper O'Connell Street from the junction of Henry Street-North Earl Street northwards to Parnell Street. It also includes the east side of Lower O'Connell Street from Abbey Street Lower southwards to Eden Quay.

Work on the section of Lower O'Connell Street will be "substantially completed" by Christmas, the council said yesterday, and Upper O'Connell Street, a larger and more complex area of redevelopment, should be finished in the early weeks of May.

The acceleration of the project was made possible in part because of good weather, Martin Kavanagh, executive manager of the council's development department, said. "It really makes a difference to schedules."

No major difficulties were encountered with underground services such as tele-

communication lines or water and waste service, which also helped to shorten the work.

The council now proposes to begin work on the Parnell Square improvement scheme. A public consultation project will start early in the new year. During the first phase of this project the road will be narrowed on Parnell Square North to two lanes, where a new gate to the Garden of Remembrance will be opened. Paving, lighting and tree-planting will also start.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ire...5OCONNELL.html
    © The Irish Times

Regardless of what the latest 'schedules' are, 4 years to do a bloody road is a joke.

Since when is weather such a huge factor in a 4 year+ project? Balance of probabilities and all that.

The spike (with renovations being an aside) was supposed to be a millenium project.

It is now almost twenty 06 for god's sake.

I really can't stand those monkeys in dublin city council. They sit up in their concrete jungle all day spouting rubbish when they should be concentrating on getting it up off the street.

Being in local government is a very powerful position to be in: It seems there's no accountability, big and inflated financial decisions for ridiculous projects are being made out of the public spotlight and those in power just hide behind the bureacracy when things go wrong.

Who's responsible for allocating funding to the project? Who's monitoring the project?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

ok this may be a completely crazy point to make here but consider it..

How come it takes the Irish such a long time to complete anything...such as O Connell street (which I would consider a small job) ....when the German people can build their WHOLE country in 60 years. O and the Americans can build a sky scraper in less than two weeks.

Funny eh?

Milking the system is apparently the case here...and what are we doing about it? NOT ENOUGH, thats for sure.

I must say I like the new O Connell street...its nice to arrive into Dublin city in the morning and be faced with CLEAN streets in an otherwise dirty city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I still can't believe our answer to the Eifel tower, Chanse elise (sp), Big Ben, tower of London, statue of liberty, arc de triomph, leaning tower of pisa, empire state building, golden gate bridge.... is the spire!

What do all of those have in common? Historical significane, commemerating the past, celebrating national glorys, make a statment of national identity....

We came up with a giant syringe beside the slums of the city center which is an eye-sore! It's plane, bland, nothing remotely spectacular or significant about it, it's meaningless and unatractive! Even a twisting giant Arch or something across O'connell street, collins arch or something, to commemerate the rising or our independance or some crap...6 years on and the place is still a mess...typical...why can't we get anything right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I really like the Spire. I believe it's very well liked. And it's deliberately non-political. You can't have Collins or Dev as both represent the historical enemy of half the nation!

The leaning tower is a construction fcuk-up that just got famous, so I don't know why you included it. And the French supplied Liberty to the Americans (something most Americans don't know, or don't want to know!)

I've no idea why it's taken so long, but I do like the new O'Connell St.

I can't believe the gimps at Dublin City Council are still standing over this project. It's certainly something they should be ashamed of, the length of time this is taking.

I wonder will they have it finished for Paddy's Day 2007?

Or will we get more of the same "Not done yet, but we're getting there" baloney?

And so it seems nobody is responsible and nobody's held accountable for this disgrace of a project that's taking years.

Given projects like O'Connell Street and Eyre Square in Galway, are local authorities competent to oversee such projects in future?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They'll may be digging a lot of it up again for the Metro station on the top of the street, and the Luas extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Texas

What the story with the rabbit/hare statues down the centre on O'Connell St.... thought I was seeing things :confused:

Advertisement