Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news on the horizon for Irish dsl users

• 15-07-2005 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

A little birdy from Eircom has told me that there are plans in the pipeline to upgrade the upload rates accross the board on their dsl products. He was able to tell me that my own line was capable of 7.5 m/bit x 1 m/bit. I'm sure they won't be giving us this kind of speed, but an upgrade to 512 or 768 would be acceptable for the time being.

Another little bird has told me that sdsl also maybe in the pipeline too.

Smart should take note and I'm sure they will be able to match or beat this upgrade on their unbundled lines. Esat should do the same on theirs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

was this little bird high on coke?
    or has it been reliable in the past?
    did the little bird give a timeframe or hint at pricing / caps ?

so many questions will follow for you ;)

if this is true i will go back in time and +rep till the cows come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I remember back in March someone here was told by a "little bird" of possible download speed upgrades...was that you Praetorian??

If it was I believe you!!!...though 256k is more likely for upload than 512k..unless eircom are about to rollout VoIP themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

sorry Praetorian, but I'll believe it when I see it

and even if it's true, it will be years before they do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If Eircon decided to give everyone in Dublin 10mb lines absolutly free I still wouldn't touch them. This just smells of propaganda to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Praetorian, I think those two statements you made are one and the same. It is rumoured that they will be releasing a premium SDSL product. Available to anyone but only a business can afford it. The videoconferencing peeps will be happy. The rich ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom will introduce 512/512 SDSL for c.€499 a month and 1024/1024 SDSL for c.€999 a Month but have no plans to upgrade their ADSL packages .

Praetorian may be referring to their VDSL trial last year in South Dublin of which I have heard nothing bar that it worked .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

K-TRIC wrote:
    If Eircon decided to give everyone in Dublin 10mb lines absolutly free I still wouldn't touch them. This just smells of propaganda to me.

I'd swallow my pride and gladly accept. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My little bird is not the head honcho, but he was told by the powers that be that increases are coming "accross the board". Now I would take that to mean all dsl packages.

The little bird mentioned that they were getting a few complaints from xbox live users in relation to only having 128 up. I reckon it's possible that the console is choking with such a tiny upload rate. Certainly 2 xboxes would definitely choke.

Of course time will tell. It would be great if Gombín could clarify Eircoms near future plans for us. Or perhaps Sponge Bob has? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Praetorian wrote:
    A little birdy from Eircom has told me that there are plans in the pipeline to upgrade the upload rates accross the board on their dsl products. He was able to tell me that my own line was capable of 7.5 m/bit x 1 m/bit. I'm sure they won't be giving us this kind of speed, but an upgrade to 512 or 768 would be acceptable for the time being.

Another little bird has told me that sdsl also maybe in the pipeline too.

Smart should take note and I'm sure they will be able to match or beat this upgrade on their unbundled lines. Esat should do the same on theirs.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I read on the Internet that SDSL's max speed is only 3MB. If that's right, how could conventional DSL offer up to 7MB?

Any ideas folks? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The little bird mentioned that they were getting a few complaints from xbox live users in relation to only having 128 up. I reckon it's possible that the console is choking with such a tiny upload rate. Certainly 2 xboxes would definitely choke.
    Eircom would probably lose their status as "x-box live compatible" if they got enough complaints about laggy play. Thats probably one reason why they're thinking about upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

@Marcopolo

SDSL uses more of the spectrum (Think - "Your phonelines maximum bandwidth capability) for its own upload than ADSL.

For example....

If a full spectrum is like this...
    |
    |

Adsl would be like this....
    |uuuudddddddddddd|

And SDSL would be like this...
    |uuuuuuuudddddddd|

With 'u' denoting the spectrum used for upload and 'd' being the spectrum used for download. So you can see that while SDSL is capable of greater upload speeds, its maximum download speed is sacrificed for it.

DSL's max speed is about 8Mbit/1Mbit.

SDSL uses a lot more upload meaning that the maz download takes a hammering...so for SDSL 3Mbit/3Mbit probable is the best.

2M:256K would be nice but wishing any more is only wishfull thinking!!!

It will be whatever Gombín sez it will be if he chooses to enlighten us. SDSL is deffo this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

dosnt matter if they upgrade, their caps are so restrictive and i doubt theyll change them-i hate eircom

They don't charge for going over caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I can't see them doing this, why should they - will they make money from it? No, they wont gain in any way so they wont do it. Maybe the year after the next we will get 256 up MAYBE but speeds like 512 are simply insane. €ircom would NEVER NEVER NEVER go out of their way to offer a proper broadband package and service to this country. They'd rather commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

What big differences will bigger upload speeds make.

An increase in upload speed...nice...but not earth shattering for the average broadband user.
    The numbers that ISP's use to attract customers to their service are cost and speed!

Leaving cost aside for now...am I the only person who has taken note of BT UK's intentions of offering 8Mbit/s over their dsl network???
    Trials and such are either over or will be soon and customers can avail of this product in Novermber of this year...4months away!
    Have eircom any intention of even offering residental customers 4Mbit at current 2Mbit prices?

When it comes down to it...upload speed increases will be favoured by a tiny portion of the customer base.
    What is needed is an upload and download speed increase....doubling both speeds for current packages.
    1M/128k -> 2M/256k
    &
    2M/128k -> 4M/256K
    Also they should bring back the 512k service(further reach due to lower speeds) to replace those idiotic time products.
    This can be easily done by giving the 1Mbit speeds but capping it to give 512k.

After reading about BT's 8Mbit November offerings I'm a bit steamed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Kare Bear wrote:
    What big differences will bigger upload speeds make.
    The most significant atm is P2P - torrents and the like - a major reason why ISPs don't want to increase upload speeds.
    VoIP will also benefit, as will
    videoconferencing
    sending large emails
    uploading your website
    etc.
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

zuma wrote:
    DSL's max speed is about 8Mbit/1Mbit.

SDSL uses a lot more upload meaning that the maz download takes a hammering...so for SDSL 3Mbit/3Mbit probable is the best.

2M:256K would be nice but wishing any more is only wishfull thinking!!!

Seems to be a theoretical max. Check this link:http://www.aspasia.net/html/broadband.html

This is an extract:

Maximum speed of ADSL is 8 Mbps downstream and around 1 Mbps upstream. However, because the speed varies with the length of the copper line, most DSL providers select a series of speeds that are smaller than the maximum so that more customers can obtain higher speeds.

Apparently even SDSL (accoring to the article) can only function to it's max within 300 metres of an exchane. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm highly doubtful eircom will be doing any 1mb up DSL packages, most of the exchanges in the country have fairly old equipment and shoddy lines.
    Unless you sleep in an exchange in the business district of a large town or city, you're probably not getting fancy DSL ;)

Oh, I'd also heard that Eircom actually ARE planning to roll out VoIP at the end of the year, along with BT, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think Eircom do realise that they need to get involved with VOIP or they will be left behind - that is enough reason to increase the upload speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

axer wrote:
    I think Eircom do realise that they need to get involved with VOIP or they will be left behind - that is enough reason to increase the upload speed.

I'd say for whoever buys their VoIP package (At what cost?) will get the 256k upload, and those who don't get left behind in 128k land.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lets hope they do increae their upload right across the board, 128k upload is a complete joke and as an xbox live user it really makes it laggy most of the time, also if someone is using the computer to just browse the internet or play another game i.e. counterstrike and the other person plays xbox live, both the pc and xbox are choked to bits cause the 128k upload just cant handle 2 connections at once (even if it is just gaming or surfing). I hope eircom are treatened to lose their xbox live compatibility claim because realisticly any basic dsl offering for gaming is 256k upload+ and I dont know any other country that only offers 128k upload. Even if eircom only up it to 256k that will make a considerable difference to gamers across this land but this would still be the basic minimum in any other normal country.

if eirocm are offering 256k in conjunction with 'their' voip package we will get into interesting regulatory murk on the wholesale side , especially if eircom can suddenly port 'your' number over to the voip softswitches with surprising ease ....although with Comreg in charge I suspect that eircom will do what it wants regardless and will get tapped lightly with a small girly handbag every now and then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

CuLT wrote:
    Oh, I'd also heard that Eircom actually ARE planning to roll out VoIP at the end of the year, along with BT, etc.
    Eircom already do business VoIP. They'll all roll out residential VoIP in one form or other - the question is what form will it take. Will it be a costly piece of hardware locked into one suuplier with relatively** cheap calls; or will you just sign up for a SIP account and pay-as-you-go using whichever and as many providers are you like = real choice; maybe signing up to one to keep your incoming calls.

No doubt the bigboys will try to stifle competition but blueface.ie and skytel.ie already making inroads in VoIP. The bigboys also know that the masses won't go out and get VoIP of their own volition. The masses will happily lemming along to the tune of the pied piper and drink from the poisoned pool of watered down VoIP.

causal
    *pimps VoIP forum*

**relative to the current POTS ripoff prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

Any update on this from your birdy Praetorian?

No new news I'm afraid. I wish Gombín saw this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

was it not announced today?

they rejigged the caps on the lower packages and wiggled the pricing on the business packages?
    id say thats about as close to a change as well see until next february

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I also heard whispers of SDSL for December(2005)/January time from an Eircom business rep...

Advertisement