Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 Jack + Wall plate

Options
  • 15-07-2005 3:35pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    I have purchased my CAT 6 cable and accessories but was wondering about the jack and wall plates, I presume a standard plastic box will do the job on the wall, but is the RJ45 jack the same for CAT 5 & 6 and is the wall plate the same?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

same wall plate and same rj45 as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

no the rj45 are different! the rj45 for cat6 contain a little black thing in the rj45 plug that seperates the individual wires up and down to reduce interferance etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

yop wrote:
    Lads
    I have purchased my CAT 6 cable and accessories but was wondering about the jack and wall plates, I presume a standard plastic box will do the job on the wall, but is the RJ45 jack the same for CAT 5 & 6 and is the wall plate the same?

Cheers
    Is all Cat6 shielded? ... I tried doing doing some cabling with some Cat 6 before and it was a complete pain in the hole ... Cat 5e UTP will give you gigabit speeds and its cheaper and easier to throw together ....

No it's not all sheilded... You can get unsheilded like you can with cat 5e.. sheilded is more difficult to work with a bitch to cramp the modular plugs...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IHMO If you don't terminate Cat6 correctly you might as well use Cat 5 / 5e.
    Anyway you could run the cat 5e in such a way that you could remove it later on, using it to draw though the next generation cable or fibre as you pull it out the other end.

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20031124/technology01.shtml
    It’s also worth pointing out that many of the items explained below won’t necessarily cause a link to fail a test on its own. But each one eats into the limited Cat 6 headroom by a few points of a dB, often more. It only takes an accumulation of these little things and the link fails.
    http://www.krone.co.th/TechTips/techtips07.htm
    3. Jacks
    Category 6 Jacks having conductor management ensures that ,the cable always exits the back of the jack from the same point. This ensures a uniform termination and cable dressing. Untwist is addressed to within one half twist. because the cable is pulled into the manager, twist is kept all the way up to the IDC turret. This ensures the impedance of the termination will remain as close to the cable impedance as possible.

9. Cable sheath removal
    At Cat 6 frequencies the wave energy is actually flowing through the sheath. The sheath is a dielectric and cutting it away changes the impedance of the pairs causing echoes (Return Loss), and upsets the geometry effecting the crosstalk performance. Krone insists on the sheath to be removed not more than 3mm from the jack.

10. Untwist
    Field experience on Cat 6, indicates that up to 2dB of NEXT can be saved by maintaining the twist up to the point of termination. If the lay of the wires doesn't suit this, an extra half twist should be added. You can easily test some channels in your workshop with any new jack/cable combination before you do any terminations, it could save you a lot of rework costs.

11. Wire routing
    Tiny details like the routing of each wire at the back of the jack are critical. A wire can easily be damaged during termination and/or influence another. The best order depends on which end of the cable you've got hold of, and the direction the cable is leaving the jack.

12. Cable kinking
    The internal geometry of Category 6 cables is so sensitive that you're talking about several dB's worth of damage and probably looking at total replacement of any cable. If the plastic separator inside is deformed, it will never return to the right shape.

13. Cable ties
    avoid the use of nylon cable ties. Nylon cable ties should only be used as a cable retainer at the patch panel and outlet jack in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions. Never use the nylon type on Cat 6 horizontal runs - they pinch and cause local impedance increases. KRONE recommends the use of velcro type ties, but use them sparingly.

15. Bend radius
    Category 6 performs up to 250 MHz. This shorter wavelength is much more susceptible to improper bend radius in cable and patch cords. Achieving proper bend radius throughout the network is therefore is a critical consideration.

19. Training
    Training is very essential, you need not only generic Cat 6 training, but manufacturer-specific training also on the termination techniques for the particular cable/connector combination.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So do I take it that me purchasing my CAT6, wall plates, jacks and gigabit switch, doing the run, connecting the jacks and plugging the ends into the switch is not as straight forward than that!!

Cat6 performs up to 1000mhz does it not?????

It wont be as easy as cat 5e but if you are very carefull and read all the info here and do some research to proper terminating techniques you should be ok. just use good quality tools!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads
    Would the likes of CT electric or similar stock CAT6, did not ring them yet but I suppose it would be stupid prices!
    Dabs seem to be the best, bar trying the find the CAT6 jacks

Ya CT electric stock it. I think it's about 120 including vat for 300m of cable...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try www.connectix.ie - ring for dublin prices as they are usually cheaper than the Uk web site.

BTW Gigabit can use different voltage levels and all 8 wires so you can get it on 100MHz Cat 5.

Anyone know if the 10Gb copper standard will run on standard Cat 6 ? - the link below almost certainly contains marketing misinformation..

http://www.panduit.com/products/102100.asp
    What is required to achieve 10 Gigabit Ethernet Performance over Copper?

The IEEE has developed a draft standard (Std 802.3an, October 2004, Draft) to support 10Gb/s data rates using twisted-pair copper cabling over a 4-connector 100 meter channel on Class F or Class E-augmented copper cabling. The draft standard requires Category 6 electrical channel parameters to be extended from the current 250 MHz to 500 MHz. This draft also introduces Power Sum Alien Crosstalk requirements up to 500 MHz and calls for the use of the line-encoding scheme PAM12. While the draft standard recognizes that Category 6 cabling systems may support 10 Gigabit Ethernet over limited distances, only new augmented Category 6 copper cabling systems will be able to support 10Gb/s data rates for distances up to 100 meters.

• Advertisement

On another note - Im having fierse bother locating .5m and 1m red or green cross over Cat6 cables

GalwayDude - do you not do Crossover cables?

Thanks Captain

Ya I do crossover cables and straight through cables!

u might help out James there......

Tried connectix, fookin dear, switches are killer prices.

GOing to get onto Komplett and see what they can do for me

no problem! I will help him out if he wants me to! Sent him a PM a while ago! Just waiting for a reply!

yop wrote:
    Tried connectix, fookin dear, switches are killer prices.
    you were looking for Jack's /wall plates, cables etc. of course they would be dear for stuff like switches :rolleyes:

cheap gigabit switches www.marxcomputers.ie
    iirc €59 for 5 port and ~ €80 for 8 port (unmanaged of course)

no problem! I will help him out if he wants me to! Sent him a PM a while ago! Just waiting for a reply!

replyed

Fair enough but why would they be so much more expensive than marx or the likes?

Well got me CAT6 (300ft) for 69 euro (ex vat) from CT Electric, good price I think

Now to find a place that will sell me the CAT6 jack and face plates!

• Advertisement

Gentleman thanks, I know where to get my patch cables now also..... ;)

Ah you no well you can always get the off me! Just got my cat 5 network cable thread stickied in the for sale fourm!

Advertisement