Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam inherently against Judaism ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Why tolerate? Does this not tell you something about your own faith, that you are forced to merely tolerate? There is little love in the act of toleration. I would question any belief or religion where love is not of the utmost importance, all of the time

I dont love you. I dont love my neighbour. I dont love Joe Bloggs. My faith doesnt tell me too. And I see no reason to. I respect everyones rights and I tolerate their mistakes, as I see them, if they make them in good faith, because they are entitled to make them and (hopefully) learn from them.

My faith centres around nature and balance. If I loved a lot of people then Id have to hate a lot of ppl as well. For me, there must be balance. "I would question any belief or religion where balance is not of the utmost importance". If you believe in the importance of love then you probably agree with me that hate is a terrible thing.

IMHO respect (and tolerance) is more important than unconditional love. People can do bad things in the name of love. Love is blind. You can love someone so much that you dont want to see them hurt and prevent them from making mistakes important to their growth and development as a person. Look at patriotism, the love of ones country, and what atrocities have been commited in its name

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

"People can do bad things in the name of love. Love is blind. You can love someone so much that you dont want to see them hurt and prevent them from making mistakes important to their growth and development as a person. Look at patriotism, the love of ones country, and what atrocities have been commited in its name"

None of the above is love. Selfless love is a state of truth, balance, and is detached. It is all you need to exist. None of the above acts can be commited by a mind that has love.

Infatuation, passion, craving, attachment, clinging, controlling - perhaps these are what our modern socity percieve as love. But they are all acts that strengthen the self, the ego. If you go back to what enlightened and saintly people said many years ago, real love is total selflessness. There is no caste or creed associated with that state, and no terms and conditions.

I can't put it as well as it is put in this wonderfully simple passage:
    "When you say you love God what does it mean? It means that you love a projection of your own imagination, a projection of yourself clothed in certain forms of respectability according to what you think is noble and holy; so to say, `I love God', is absolute nonsense. When you worship God you are worshipping yourself - and that is not love."

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/kr/love.html

That about sums it up, imho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

It's sad to see that the divisions between faiths are still so deep. Judaism, Christianity and Islam all stem from the same root yet are so divided. People are too caught up in their own opinions and insistence that their chosen way is correct to see that all three have many virtues and are in essense giving the same message about the right way to live. In arguing the toss over who is right or wrong we miss the whole point and end up failing to show the compassion and love that is essential to all these spiritual paths.

p.s. prohibition of pork was due to the jewish belief that animals with cloven hooves are unclean hence no pork or goats (pork does go off very fast if not refrigerated or cured), muslims carried on this practice for the same reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 faithdefender

C Fodder wrote:
    Islam is not inherantly against Judaism or Christanity. They are regarded as fellow believers in God(Allah) but various nuts have perverted the teachings of Islam in much the same way as Christanity and indeed Judaism have been perverted to fit political idealogies at a particular time. The current hatred of Judaism has a lot to do with the creation of the state of Isreal and very little to do with faiths.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

You got it! I will correct you. of course in love.

The quran says the god is not begotten or begot
    The GOD of the BIBLE says For GOD so loved the world that He sent His only begotten son.
    The quran says not to make friends with Christians or Jews or people of the book.
    ughhhh i think mohamed is the main nut who started all of this.
    if you want the surahs email me. I will be glad to back up my words. I can because I do not live under sharia law.
    THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN IS NOT TO DIE IN A JIHAD BUT THREW THE LORD JESUS! AMEN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Common roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

The GOD of the BIBLE says For GOD so loved the world that He sent His only
    begotten son.

if you really know your religion you would know that the Idea of christ being the "son of GOD" came after his time around 300AD when the Emperor Costantine held a discussion with the high lords of his kingdom to make Christ a GOD!
    The quran says not to make friends with Christians or Jews or people of the book.
    if you want the surahs email me. I will be glad to back up my words. I can because I do not live under sharia law.

If you were infront of me you wont be able to say this!

you are really, ignorant and stupid. go research the three faiths then come back here to discuss your findings otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.

again.....go and read before you open your mouth!

p.s. prohibition of pork was due to the jewish belief that animals with cloven hooves are unclean hence no pork or goats (pork does go off very fast if not refrigerated or cured), muslims carried on this practice for the same reasoning.

also cos pigs have K9's.....they are meat eaters. this is both shared by Jews and muslims as you put it however why didnt the Christians follow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

stevenmu wrote:
    I think I remember hearing something about not eating animals which wallow in their own filth, of which pigs are one. I think some types of shellfish and crustaceans are included too. As for it being just them or the rest of us as well, I think that like many religions, the idea is supposed to apply to us all but I'd guess it's kind of like the way dedicated vegatarians would want us all to be vegetarian but don't generally kick up much of a fuss over it.

Its all in Leviticus, a book of the Old Testament. Im fairly sure it exists in some form in the Koran. Jesus, as the son of God, made a new convenant with humanity and thereby recinded the dietary requirements of the OT. However, Jews and Muslims don't accept Jesus as christ so they do not follow the new convenant.

My faith centres around nature and balance. If I loved a lot of people then Id have to hate a lot of ppl as well. For me, there must be balance.

How exactly do you decide what needs balancing? If you love lots, then you must hate lots. Why then, if you spend some time doing favours for people, do you not then spend an equal amount of time going around killing people? If you laugh a lot on one day, must you frown a lot another day? If you are polite for a few hours, must you then spend the next few hours being very rude?

If you're going to commit to a love/hate balance, then why not dozens of other equally valid "balances"? Hot food/cold food, pro-war/anti-war, pro-abortion/anit-abortion, sing/silence...

Zillah wrote:
    However, Jews and Muslims don't accept Jesus as christ so they do not follow the new convenant.

Where did you get that info? Muslims do accept Christ as the Messaih.
    we dont beleive that he is the son of GOD as that idea inflects with the concept of GOD.

I agree on the Jews bit, they did not accept Christ, they are still awaiting their Messiah.

as regarding to the term "New Convenant", that would be Islam as its message came after Christ.

• Advertisement

Suff wrote:
    we dont beleive that he is the son of GOD as that idea inflects with the concept of GOD.

Ok, just to make sure we're on the same page here:

If Jesus is not the son of God, then what do the terms "christ" and "messiah" mean to you? I know it means "annointed one" and the fortold saviour of the jews, but without God, what does any of this mean?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Suff wrote:
    you are really, ignorant and stupid. go research the three faiths then come back here to discuss your findings otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.
    Suff banned for personal abuse. If someone's opinions are as ignorant and stupid as you claim, it should be easy for you to just correct them without resorting to name-calling.

The GOD of the BIBLE says For GOD so loved the world that He sent His only begotten son.
    This forum is not for picking apart aspects of religions you do not like. It is also not for converting people to a religion you do like. Please read The Charter if you wish to continue posting here.

*at nobody in general* there has been a lot of slack cut on certain aspects of the charter lately. We all have to share this forum together, just like we all have to share the same planet, if we drag all our petty conflicts from the real world in here, then the forum will quickly degrade into a mirror image of the screwed up world we see outside our computer screens. Any future breaking of the charter will result in immediate bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭solidgear

wow, & I thought I had a hard time. Lets all be lovy dovy & run naked through the woods holding hands & smiling @ each other, saying "were all 1 big happy familly in nature", Now where's my credit card till i get my palm read. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Can someone clarify this for me, if muslims believe this, does islam have a problem with christians? are we considered to hold similar beliefs and are therefore linked in faith or do christians fall into the bracket of non-believers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

solidgear banned for his peristant offtopic posts and for trolling.

john_dub wrote:
    Can someone clarify this for me, if muslims believe this, does islam have a problem with christians? are we considered to hold similar beliefs and are therefore linked in faith or do christians fall into the bracket of non-believers?

There are some parts of Muslim teachings that say Christians should be loved because they worship the same God. I have no doubt there are other parts that could be interpreted to say otherwise.

When it comes down to it there is nothing fundamentally opposing between the two; Christians, Muslims and Jews agree that they worship the same God, they each just claim that the others went wrong somewhere.

Advertisement