Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon

Options
  • 15-07-2005 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Have a friend who loves this band, and they're always being played in work. And people won't stop talking about them....

Anyone else think they're pants?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

what u not like bout them man?
    - i think theyre deadly -
    catchy rock, your man has a cool original voice...
    i think they rock

they have 2 decent albums....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They are grand ....catchy rock but they get old and boring very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

erm, I'd have to agree. Bought the album around christmas on the strength of the world and his wife saying it was the bees knees, and...I dunno, I just don't get 'em either. Obviously I'm missing something fundamental here...

Going by your sig, I'm sure we'd concur Rum, Sodomy Lash is a corker mind!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Meh, seems be just another pop band dressed up as rock if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Humongously overrated IMO. I struggle to see what it is so many people see in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I think their great, I'm really looking forward to seeing them in August :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

you're wrong and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

cant deny that they are a bit poppy and im sure the people who really know their rock wouldnt rate them too highly but i know what i like and i like to turn them up loud and go nuts.... Bucket and Taper Jean girl... decent tunes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

you're wrong and stupid.

You're calling the moderator stupid?

"Hello Pot!"

"Hullo Kettle!"

Byebye!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

That sounds a bit extreme tbh. Saying they're pop is really quite over the top.

Mind you I really like KOL.

• Advertisement

you're wrong and stupid.

Well who could argue with just a well thought out and intelligent point like that? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

KOL are great.

1st album had its fine points but some dodgy monents too but Aha Shake Heartbreak is absolutley outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I quite like them. They sound interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

aw i love KOL, they're fab.
    Can't wait to see them with the Pixies on the 23rd of aug....shud b a very good gig

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

heard them loads of times but can't for the life of me remember anything about them...some impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

IMO they are complete and utter horseybollox

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Is'nt this the wrong forum.Keep that ****e away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

They'll soon join the bin along with the killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Their latest vid is the most unbearable thing i heard in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Bit of a mix of opinions, well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And it's npothing to do with being pop, I like green day\HIM etc who often get called poprock, I just get really bored when KOL albums come on. Not one of their songs has really *hit* me.
    Tar wrote:
    heard them loads of times but can't for the life of me remember anything about them...some impression.

Exactly my sentiments for a while but now they're just fcuking everywhere! Watch out for the guy looking really moody when they're playing lansdowne

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oh i know what they look like,thats it lol...a friend made me pick which did i think was attractive...wtf...i dont know...
    but anyway heard a song on the radio today by them and i cant remember it huh?remember not liking it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Saw them play at Oxegen last year and thought they were incredibly boring. They had no stage presence, looked bored and the songs were uninteresting. I've been played their album a few times but I still think it's pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

oh i know what they look like,thats it lol...a friend made me pick which did i think was attractive...wtf...i dont know...

No I was referring to me!

''Watch out for the guy looking really moody when they're playing lansdowne''
    after quoting me! what am i supposed to think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

I really like their sound. Anybody out there knows what type of guitar amp they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I don't like them. I find them really uniteresting musically. They almost sound like CCR, who did it a lot better. KOL's singer's voice is monotone and soul destroyingly boring.

I don't really agree with Hungus on the whole pop band in disguise thing. And I don't really see how that could be a put down. A lot of 'popish guitar bands' are quite credible: the Beatles (early stuff), Journey, Duran Duran (ok maybe not Duran Duran ;)), Bon Jovi, Aerosmith (late stuff)... I may have misunderstood you but there's nothing wrong with music that appeals to the mainstream market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

In fact, in many ways hair metal is just remarketed pop music.

Mmm... hair metal.

Ravelleman wrote:
    I don't really agree with Hungus on the whole pop band in disguise thing. And I don't really see how that could be a put down. A lot of 'popish guitar bands' are quite credible: the Beatles (early stuff), Journey, Duran Duran (ok maybe not Duran Duran ;)), Bon Jovi, Aerosmith (late stuff)... I may have misunderstood you but there's nothing wrong with music that appeals to the mainstream market.

It all depends on how you define a pop, and to me (aside from being popular) pop is a very, very strict song structure. It's usually a 3 or 4 minute song with an incredibly predictable start/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus/end structure. Lets take Metallica for example where a song like Orion has a totally unique structure all of it's own, and compare that to Fuel, with it's simplistic riffs and big choruses, apart from the heavy guitars, it's a pop song. You can go take a listen to Master Of Puppets, and if you turn it off at the 3:30 point you practically have a pop song, yet leave it running and it becomes something so much more, the song takes off along its own path, not adhering to any predictable song structure or strict and dull rules of popular music.

Listen to some classical music and see how it takes you from one emotion to the next, exploring different feelings, moods, themes, how a song might well up in crescendo, yet if classical music was put to the pop structure, none of that would happen, you'd have a short collection of repeating riffs that are utterly directionless. Could Vivaldi have expressed Four Seasons in that structure? No, certainly not.

So, in my opinion, while there are certainly a lot of bands that are genuinely alternative and don't let the rules of pop get in the way of what they want to express musically, there's a lot more bands out there that are quite simply are not alternative to anything, but simply pop in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Definitely not my thing at all. I think they're a bit boring and the frontman's voice annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I Don't mind them,They are better on the radio than Nelly or some other sh**.
    I like them a lot better with the beards,i'll be seeing them at Pixies anyway

Advertisement